“Nice vacation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Save Saved
You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #21 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Minnesota
“Nice vacation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2004

My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at the Wilderness Lodge. We had stayed at this resort 3 years ago, and decided to return based upon past experience.

I agree with the many suggestions that the resort is ready for an update. Although not bad, I don't think the resort is up to the standards of Disney Deluxe resort. The Wilderness Lodge is always priced as the least expense Deluxe resort, but I would expect a bit more. We were in king bed, courtyard view room. All king bed rooms are handicap accesible. We had no problem with this. We were on the first floor, which was certainly handy. The wallpaper in the room was showing it's age, peeling in areas and the tile in the bathroom had a touch of mold. There were no upgrades in the room besides space from a moderate resort. The bed was comfortable, and I appreciate that Disney uses Ivory soap as their standard.

Our most previous stay was at the Yacht club and it was certainly a few notches above the Wilderness Lodge. Again, I admit the price is not the same, but if Disney is calling this a deluxe resort, I expect Deluxe service.

It was a combination of many small things that added to our general feeling of "not the best." I still think the resort is a good option, but it would be much better if it went through a refurbishment. I would not be the least unhappy if this resort was catagorized at a moderate resort.

We only ate at Roaring Forks at the resort. The service was just fine for breakfast. I love the boat to the Magic Kingdom and the Contemporary. It was very crowded the weekend we were there, but the resort was able to manage the numbers of people with ease.

Overall, our stay at the Wilderness Lodge was fine. Disney magic is all around. Enjoy your trip!

2,134 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
  • Korean first
Texas City, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2004

We just spent 5 days at the Wilderness Lodge for Thanksgiving and was very disappointed at the quality of rooms and service of the hotel.

The rooms are not very big and the bathrooms were old, in need of updating and had some small bugs in one room. Staff was seemed overworked and not very frieldly as if they were doing you a favor by speaking to you.

Whispering Canyon Cafe is very over rated, expensive and quality of food not worth the money. Our waiter seemed to want to be anywhere but dealing with guests and children.

Best thing about the hotel was the pool and hot tub, but that ended up being closed one night b/c of an electrical malfunction....

My recommendation is to save the $$ and take a tour.

Phila
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2004

Just returned on Saturday vacationed w/my daughter and her family, We were on the 4th floor they were a few doors away. Wilderness Lodge was not my choice I would have picked somewhere else to go (Beach Club or Grand Floridian) were my choices but my daughter picked this hotel for our grandson. It was a great choice! The beds were the best I have ever slept in so were the pillows. It is not for everyone but if you are going w/children it's great. The rooms were immaculate they even left little animals made from washcloths. The service was great every call to the front desk ended w/Have a magical day!!! We are not Disney World people we like to go tropical beaches and do nothing but this was absolutely great going w/our grandson he loved it and so did we. Of course I need another vacation to recover from this one but I am so glad we did it.

• Stayed November 2004
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2004

My boyfriend and I have annual passes to Disney World and he surprised me with two nights at the Wilderness Lodge for my birthday in mid-October. It was such a pleasant stay. We had a room on the 5th floor toward the end of the hallway and it had a wonderful view of the pool, the lake and beyond. We were up early and watched the sunrise both mornings. The room was very comfortable and we really enjoyed staying there. It's just enough away from the hustle and bustle that you do feel that you are on vacation! Maybe a few more minutes to take a boat or bus than to be on the monorail line but I would definitely say it was worth it.

MO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2004

We just got back from a 4 day trip to Disney World and stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. My husband & I stayed there back in 1997 before we were married and it was the most beautiful resort I had ever stayed in. Coming back 7 years later, I have to say I was a bit dissapointed. Still has the gorgeous, cozy lobby, but our room was no better than your standard motel room. The knobs on the bathroom sinks looks old & cruddy and had pieces missing, the shower curtain had a mold spot on it and one of the rings was broken, the sinks looked like they were 20 years old, and some of the tiles in the shower were moldy. Our room was really small, too. They used to have lush landscaping out by the waterfall area, but not anymore. Just not what I remembered from our last trip to the lodge! The only luxury thing about this hotel is the lobby. We waited 35 minutes for a bus to Epcot before giving up and taking a boat to the Magic Kingdom. I love the boat service - we never waited more than 10 minutes. Roaring Forks is outrageously overpriced. It cost me over $10 for a cup of tea, 2 tiny boxes of cereal and a cup of milk. I will definitely come back to this resort once it has undergone some updated renovations. Next trip we will stay at the Grand Floridian or the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Portsmouth, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2004

Stayed here because we heard that this place is great.
I liked the theme but I did get alittle tired of it after a week. The resort is very themed and sometimes cheesy.
The resort is pricey and the rooms are pretty much basic
The pool is ok but nothing wonderful and the rooms are not sound proof. I could always here what was happening outside the room.
If you can stay at Wilderness Lodge Villas which do not cost much more and are much better.

stamford,ct
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2004

This was our 3rd trip to Disney as a family. We have gone when my children were 3 and 5, 5 and 7 and now when they are 7 and 9. We have stayed at the contemporary, the caribbean beach resort and now the wilderness lodge. We arrived early and got to choose from several available rooms in the courtyard view category room that we had booked. Our room was on the 4th floor with absolutley stunning views of the pool and bay lake. We were able to see the electric water pageant from our balcony perfectly, and even had a decent glimpse of the magic kingdom fireworks at night.
The lobby is the most architecturally beautiful one that I have ever seen. You really feel as if you are in a national park somewhere, not on disney property. The rooms are smaller than the other deluxe hotels, but are more than adequate. The resort has a boat launch to the magic kingdom and we never had a wait. We also enjoyed the whispering canyon cafe with the kids! It was a blast!
The pool was also beautiful and we got to rent a
canopy boat and cruise the lake.
I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. I will never stay anywhere else on Disney property again!! Just Go!!!!

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!