“Wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #30 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Pittsburgh, PA
“Wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Our stay at the Wilderness Lodge was truly magical. Great decor that made you feel like you were in a national park lodge. The staff went above and beyond to insure that our stay was to our liking. We were just a short bus or boat trip from all the parks. Looking forward to staying there again.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (558)
  • Korean first
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We recently returned (early April 2014) from a 4 night stay at Disney's Wilderness Lodge in a woods view bunk bed room. Our stay was mostly fine & I would not hesitate to stay here again (beautiful setting that was such a relaxing contrast to the hustle & bustle of the parks, gorgeous lobby, clean room with lots of towel animals, great boat transportation to the Magic Kingdom, etc.), but I'd like to focus on the one "not so great" aspect so others can be prepared.

We intentionally booked the Wilderness Lodge for some peace & quiet and a nice reprieve from the constant overstimulation of the parks. We chose a woods view room specifically to add to that peaceful feeling (didn't want to be over a noisy service entrance with beeping trucks in a standard view room, didn't want pool noise in a courtyard view room). Anyway ... I was picturing our "woods view" room with a peaceful balcony facing ... I don't know, some woods maybe? I pictured myself relaxing on the balcony with a good book & an ice cold drink every afternoon as we took a break from the parks. The birds chirping, some squirrels and rabbits frolicking below ... maybe even Bambi would show up to nibble on the grass?

Oh, how silly of me ...

Nope, we were in room 3102 - directly over the Cub's Den entrance and facing the Villas. And do you know what's just around the corner from the balcony of room 3102??? The side entrance to the Wilderness Lodge. The entrance/exit everyone takes to get to/from the bus transportation and the entrance/exit most of the villa people take as they make their way into the Wilderness Lodge. The entrance right by the arcade and the Mercantile. In other words, an entrance that is in constant use . And do you know what is right outside of that entrance? A series of METAL BELLS!!! And do you know what people do every single time they walk past those bells??? THEY RING THEM!!! Oh my lands!!! Every 45 seconds, some enthusiastic person would ring those dinner bells ... all afternoon and most of the night. I could always tell when a bus just unloaded a bunch of park guests ... bell ring-o-rama. NOT the peaceful setting I had envisioned.

And the balcony itself? It had a solid wall ... at 5'2", I couldn't see anything when sitting in the chairs unless I craned my neck back to look at the tree tops. If I stood up, I could see the green roof over the Cubs Den. Definitely no frolicking bunnies (I think they were scared away by the bells ...).

So, anyway, if you book a woods view b/c you really want a peaceful view of the woods ... ask for a room on the side of the building that does not face the villas. (And yes, going back now to read the fine print, it does state that a woods view room offers "Views of Woodlands or the Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge").

Other than the non-tranquil woods(ish) view, the room location was actually quite nice. Just around the corner from the elevator and very conveniently located to the lobby, etc.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms over the Cubs Den if you want peace & quiet.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

We had a great experience at this hotel. It has very nice decor and a nice, manageable size pool. It has a really nice restaurant, and some casual options as well. The rooms were fine but it was nice to have fridges to store milk, etc. The best part of this hotel was that it was just a 5 minute walk to the boat which took us to the Magic Kingdom within minutes. The service was truly great, in true Disney style and it was also great to be able to get in to the parks early since we were "on property". We will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Niceville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 via mobile

We are new DVC members and Wilderness Lodge is our home resort. We had to stay at Saratoga Springs our first DVC trip due to the late booking. Also, we've stayed at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Wilderness Lodge is my favorite! Love the shade, decor, and overall feel of the resort. By comparison, the only minor things are Saratoga Springs had much better parking and a better pool ( no 0 entry at Wilderness Lodge). Our suite appears to be one of the recently remodeled units. We have a view of the lake with some woods offering shade. Very happy to call Wilderness Lodge "home!"

• Stayed May 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The Wilderness Lodge is our families favority Disney Hotel. The rooms we stay in have great bunk beds for the boys. The hotel lobby has a great lodge feeling. The spring running out of the lobby down to the pool is neat to watch. Great pool…nice bar. Good choices for food from fast food to fine dining. Can take buses to the parks or a boat to Magic Kingdom. Great hotel for the price in an ideal location. Stayed there 3 times now and want to go back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

My husband and I went to stay here. This was my first time to go to Disney World. I was so excited. We get to the hotel and I must say that the check in went very quick and easy. A lady met us as we were coming in and got us checked in. But one big problem happened. We booked a king room for the two of us and she said we get a room with double beds! I was furious and she knew it. Did she say or do anything? No. So, we get to our room and it was very small and the 2 beds were staring at us. The room also smelled a little moldy or something. The bathroom was the smallest I've ever seen. If you're a large person, just forget it! You'll not be real comfortable in that bathroom. So, we tried to sleep in one bed, and in the middle of the night we had to sleep in separate beds. We had to do this for the 5 days we were there. We're married, not roommates! I was so upset. The food they provide is nothing to jump for joy over and it's very expensive for what it is. Then you have to deal with hooping and yelling at one of their restaurants. It's enough to make you nervous. Don't ask for ketchup for goodness sakes. They will bring you every single bottle of ketchup to your table and put the spotlight on you. Then your asked to carry all the bottles to the next person that asks for ketchup. Let's limit this to kids...not adults. It's totally embarrassing as a grown up. All we wanted was a quiet sit down meal. You'll not get that, so beware. They had a nice gift shop. Had a wide variety of things. The check out was easy. You're informed about when to have luggage checked before your flight. They take care of your baggage check right there at the hotel. They were were very fast getting people done and on their way. All went well because our luggage made it to it's destination. I will warn you about the bus system going to the parks. We found that the waiting time on a bus is longer than we were told. So be prepared to wait longer so you're not late for fast pass and restaurant reservations at the parks. Plus it takes time for the buses to even make it to the parks. So please prepare yourself. But identifying the correct bus to take when going to the parks is easy. The buses show the name of the park it's going to. Also when the bus makes it to the park, please listen because he or she will inform you where you'll be picked up at. Buses fill up quickly, so get in line ahead of time, so you don't have to miss it and wait on another one. Kind of a bummer. I will add this, the hotel staff was nice, but did not help us when the room was wrong and the complaint about the smell in the room. We paid full price and no apology either. Later, when I wrote to management, I was informed that what happens when you book a room, like we booked a king, if their accessible rooms for the handicap fills up, then they bump you and give them your king room. The king rooms are more spacious than a double room. So beware if you book a king room. It's no guarantee that you'll get it. I later found out that it's not just this hotel that does this, it's all of the Disney hotels that do this. I am not against the handicap, but at least warn us of the change so we can decide to cancel if we want to. But hey, you can't cancel anyway when you've bought a vacation package. So they just stick it to you. I want to go back, but stay elsewhere, but I'm afraid of getting double beds again. It's just wrong. But I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone. It just seemed a little run down for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

This resort is wonderful! The outdoor scenery and hotel lobby are breathtaking sites! The rooms are somewhat small and there is some noise but I found this hotel extraordinary! The main let down was the lack of restaurants. There was only one very small quick service food station that was cramped at rush hours! People in Disney don't have time to sit down and have an expensive meal all of the time and this resort had two high-class dining options! I would prefer a moderate resort in terms of food choice!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!