“Staying at DWL without Going to the Parks--Relaxing Way to Start a Trip!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #26 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
USA/Russia
“Staying at DWL without Going to the Parks--Relaxing Way to Start a Trip!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I've always wanted to stay here for the theming of the hotel, but I was always afraid of the transportation system since this is one of the more remote deluxe hotels. So we decided to stay an extra night in Disney just to hang out in this area. It was a great way to start out our vacation.
We checked in and got our swimsuits on just in time for a massive thunderstorm. No worries, we decided on an early lunch and got a walk-in at Whispering Canyon. We had heard about the antics they play there and the kids were excited to see if for themselves. However, nothing happened. They were a bit disappointed, but the food was filling and good so we didn't fuss about it.
After lunch, it was still pouring, so we got a Hidden Mickey scavenger hunt sheet from the front desk and the kids had a blast looking inside and outside (yes in the rain) for the hidden Mickeys. We watched the geyser--very cool. We did some shopping in the gift shop and the clouds parted! Yippie! They kids swam for a few hours even though it was cloudy and drizzling. They didn't care. They had a blast on the small slide and swimming around with other kids. I enjoyed watching them have fun and getting a few drinks from the bar.
After dinner we took a boat to the campgrounds. We explored the area, saw the horses and ponies, played on the playground and checked out the cool Outpost store. Then we had dinner at The Hoop De Doo Review--what fun! The kids and I laughed a lot and enjoyed our meal. We then went back to the hotel to have another quick drink at the bar (again, beautiful). Then we just hung out in the lobby. The kids read books and I just enjoyed the view. We went up to our room and the kids spotted out a small nook with a TV on the 4th floor. It was like having a private space to ourselves. We finally retired to our room and watched Wishes from bed. It was a great way to start off our trip.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Korean first
Townsend, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We stayed in a queen and bunk bed, and were upgraded to a pool view! We were able to walk out out patio and be out in the pool area. The hotel is amazing! The lobby is peaceful, even full of guests. It was nice and close to MK, you could take the boat right over. The kids love the pool games.

Room Tip: Bottom floor! The bunk beds are great for the kids, keeps them busy and they seem to give you more...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
lodi, nj
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This resort is one of my favorites when my kids were young. I love the Lodge theme with huge totem carvings in the lobby along with a huge fire place with thirty rocking chairs in front for a relaxing night. The pool has a fun slide and is set off the Disney path to give you nice privacy. To go to and from the Magic Kingdom you can hop on the bus or take a 10 person skip or the larger 30 person boat. The skip gets you back and forth quickly. The restaurant on sight has very good food with characters from Pocahontas parading around while you eat. The staff is always accommodating and friendly. I recommend it highly.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Wilderness Lodge 5 times. One time I stayed in a six person junior suite which I lov...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Carrollton, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

When we got there we had to walk at least 200 yards to get to room#4152 wich when we got there there were 2 used socks on the floor. When I woke up I hit my head on the bunk beds. The bath was full of gunk.

Room Tip: Stay at the villas instead
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Burlington, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The resort itself is beautiful, set on lush landscape and conveniently connected to 7 Seas Lagoon. We made our reservation for the club level room and we were greeting at the valet by someone who took us on a quick tour of the resort before heading up to the 7th floor. The gentleman who greeted us was very engaging and even had little tasks that the children could partake in as we made our way up to the Old Faithful Club. The people working at the desk were extremely nice and quick to introduce us to the amenities. There was a slight mix up with the room (we were supposed to have bunk beds), and they were very quick to correct it. Our room overlooked the pool and every night we had a perfect view of the Water Pageant.

The room was on the smaller side, but still roomy enough for the four of us. My daughter wound up getting sick on this trip so we did spend quite a bit of time in the room and I never felt cramped.

The Old Faithful Club is nice enough. It's very small, but based on the fact that the entire club level is only one floor it doesn't seem to get too crowded. The snacks didn't vary at all from day to day which was fine for us, but different than what we've seen in the past. The lounge itself is also locked when it's not a scheduled serving time. At the Polynesian we had all day access and could run in for some late night sodas, or milk. The club level cast members were very attentive and happy to grab you something during off hours.

Overall the stay was nice, the kids enjoyed the resort and I think we would definitely return for a future visit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The Wilderness Lodge is a great place to stay even if you are not going to the theme parks. I stayed club level at the wilderness lodge .They met us in the lobby, right away you feel special when they escort you up the elevator and introduce you to the club level lounge, includes with no additional fees breakfast , awesome expresso maker, anytime wine, beer and codials! (started my day with expresso and amirillo...yum! snacks all day, fantastic appetizers from 5-7, dessert buffet in the evening. The club lounge overlooks the lobby which is quite spectacular. Outside the pool has a waterfall,slide and boat rides to the contemporary resort,magic kingdom and fort wilderness cabins. Gorgeous resort with fireplaces on every floor and amazing sevice from the club level staff, made us feel like family,thanks Randy!!! We never stepped foot in the park enjoyed the pool, hottub, drinks,food and at the end of the night watched the fireworks off our balcony,some of the woods view club level have fireworks view!!Relaxing weekend away. Not cheap but worth it for a fun weekend trip with the girls or a romantic spot,Five stars all the way.

Room Tip: if you get woods view ask for a fireworks view,the courtyard view is awesome too just ask for the ma...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

My mom, aunt and I had booked an overnight at Port Orleans, when we arrived, they said you are eligible for a room at The Wilderness Lodge, will you take it? Considering this has never happened in my life and I've been going to Disney since I was 8 months old (13 now), this was a shock to all of us. There was no price change or anything. We accepted it expecting a twist. No twist at all! When we arrived they said that our room was ready. Again, 8 months old and never has the room been ready! Anyway, we got into our room and went to the parks and enjoyed ourselves! That night was awful though! After we saw the light parade (2nd time) my mom and I went to our rooms. We had the most uncomfortable bunk beds in the world!! It was like sleeping on rocks!! I recommend this hotel BUT ask for NO BUNK BEDS!!

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!