“Beautiful, peaceful place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #31 of 328 Hotels in Orlando
“Beautiful, peaceful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

My family and I spent a week at this beautiful resort this Feb. The hotel itself is gorgeous!! We stayed on the concierge level and LOVED it! We celebrated my daughter and husband's bdays there. When we arrived we had a darling chocolate tray waiting for us! Also bday balloons and an autographed picture of the characters in the parks! Such a fun surprise! The room was a good size and beds were super comfy! We loved the beautiful balcony and our view of the courtyard and pools! We had excellent service! The Old Faithful Lounge had yummy food! Breakfast was bagels/pastries, fruit and hot delicious oatmeal! Snacks later, then in the evening they put in a great spread! California rolls, venison chili, barbecue sandwiches, cheese and crackers, etc. later in they put out different cobblers, brownies and magic cookie bars (my favorite) We used the Magical Express and on our last day they even had our boarding passes printed and ready for us to take to the airport! We enjoyed watching the electric water parade at 935 pm from the beach at the resort! My little one loved the wading pool and had great fun making Disney friends there!! We were sad to leave and will DEFINITELY choose Wilderness Lodge again!

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (567)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

No question about it, the resort location is awesome. I have 2 young kids so a great location is critical because you can get maximum value at the parks. We had an awesome time at the parks.

The hotel is pretty cool, especially the lobby, yet the rooms are a bit dated. As an example, and I know this is not a crucial point for a family vacation but the room had limited outlets for charging electronic devices. The rooms are a bit small but it definitely helps that they have a fridge.

The lobby is amazing and staff great. One night a bat was flying around the lobby, definitely the Wilderness lodge! All was fine and they chased it out.

Food at Disney is mediocre at best. Burgers and fries are the norm at parks. Everything else requires reservations at their restraunts to get anything different. The food at the WL Whispering Pine was ok, although the fun staff and ambiance help make it better.

I would recommend this place but only if you are getting a good rate, I would have been very upset if I paid $400+ per night. Then again, all about location....

Room Tip: stay somewhat close to elevators, otherwise it can be a long walk
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family travels to Disney at least twice a year. This past November we stayed at Wilderness Lodge for our vacation and we were very happy with our choice. The lobby is amazing. The cast members and customer service are top notch. Our room was recently refurbished and beautiful. The beds were very comfy as well. My kids loved the pool, water slide and the geyser. The boat to MK and buses to to the other parks were very efficient. We also loved all 3 restaurants with Whispering Canyon Cafe being a family favorite. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
South Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Wilderness Lodge. The staff is friendly, the rooms are a good size and very clean. The quick service restaurant, Roaring Forks, is convenient. The hotel restaurant, Whispering Canyon, has good food and great milkshakes. The Whispering Canyon can get a little loud, but that's part of the theme and it is fun for the kids. The pool area is nice and clean. We have stayed here several times over the past few years and always feel comfortable and welcome. The lodge has a very cozy feeling, and the room upgrades have made it even better. Housekeeping did a great job every day. One night I needed an extra washcloth. I called housekeeping and they came up to the room very shortly with an entire armload of washcloths and towels. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is a very nice experience, one of our favorite parts of staying at the lodge. The Lodge does seem to cater to young families with younger children which has been great for us, but as our kiddos grow we may explore some other Disney hotels. I feel staying on Disney property is very convenient, affordable, and only adds to the Disney vacation experience. I highly recommend this hotel, especially to families with young children.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just spent 8 nights at this resort and loved it. Was put in a courtyard view on the 3rd floor - nothing spectacular, but I was paying a heavily reduced rate and I was able to check-in early, so I was happy. However, I was not happy when the bell-hop knocked on my door with our luggage in the middle of naps after I had specifically called them to say do not bring it up until I call them again. While my sons missed their nap after an early flight, I went down to complain to guest services and after some negotiating, I was comped one night at the full-rate, which covered almost two nights at my rate. That's one thing I love about Disney - they are not afraid to right a wrong! After that, the resort was just perfect. Easy boat ride over to Magic Kingdom (where we spent most of our time). We took the bus to Epcot twice, and it wasn't the most convenient thing in the world, but wasn't bad. If I was going to visit all parks, I would probably want to stay in a resort that is more centrally located. But for those more interested in Magic Kingdom, this place is perfect! Thank you Disney, we will be back.

Grove City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here. Theming was great, staff was friendly, rooms were small but clean and new. Request a high floor magic kingdom/fireworks view they say they dont exsist but they do. we could see the fire works and castle it was amazing! Whispering canyon breakfast was good, dinner was not, also enjoyed the quick service options, artist point was amazing! They had plenty of pool activities and overall a nice pool area. The geyser was really cool we really liked seeing that. They have bike rentals, we rented a surry bike and took the path to fort wilderness and took daughter on apony ride she loved it! They also had free marshmallow roast at 530 and a movie at7pm. You could see the water pagent around 930 from the beach that was pretty cool.
Transportation was pretty good only had a few issues with downtown disney buses but other than that I can't complain. It was a great stay but I still like the monorail resorts better!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Okay, I have visited Disney World well beyond a dozen times and stayed at many of the resorts. The Wilderness Lodge is a great resort. Now Considering that in the Deluxe Level of resorts this is among the least expensive you have to know what you want before booking your resort.

When I last took my family here we knew that we were going to spend 2 1/2 - 3 days in Magic Kingdom, (MK) therefore, we wanted a resort in the MK area. Also we looked at the park hours and noticed that the extra magic hours times were not as abundant as last time we traveled, so we did not expect to be out past midnight, therefore we did not need 24 hour room service. We also only have three people in are party so the aspect that Wilderness Lodge has slightly smaller rooms than other Deluxe Level resorts did not bother us.

Knowing those factors we chose to stay at the Wilderness Lodge over the Contemporary Resort, The Grand Floridian, and the Polynesian Resort. All of those Deluxe Level Resorts offer extras that we did not feel was worth the extra money, despite the aspect we have stayed in those locations before. We decided to pocket the savings and use them to go on special tours in Disney World.

If what is important to you is, 24 hour room service and to be able to ride the Monorail then this resort is not for you. Just realize this, ask yourself how many times will you use 24 hour room service past midnight? If it is only once or twice then that is an expensive meal past midnight the the difference in cost. The same is true with the use of the Monorail from your resort.

Your resort should be the last aspect you choose when going to Disney World because if you want to spend a lot of time in Epcot and Hollywood studios then choosing a resort in the MK area will be a bummer because you will have to take a bus to both no matter where you stay in the MK area, where as you could choose a resort in the Epcot area that could allow you to walk to those parks. I enjoy the Wilderness Lodge and it fit into the plan of our last trip, I will stay here again whenever the trip dictates.

Staff is always amazing, management is always strong, nothing has ever been so bad that I would list it here as a complaint. Enjoy your stay. Also as a tip, ask for a room that faces the water as each night there is a water light parade that you can watch from your balcony.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!