“Love Wilderness Lodge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

and 1 more site!
You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #27 of 329 Hotels in Orlando
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Love Wilderness Lodge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family travels to Disney at least twice a year. This past November we stayed at Wilderness Lodge for our vacation and we were very happy with our choice. The lobby is amazing. The cast members and customer service are top notch. Our room was recently refurbished and beautiful. The beds were very comfy as well. My kids loved the pool, water slide and the geyser. The boat to MK and buses to to the other parks were very efficient. We also loved all 3 restaurants with Whispering Canyon Cafe being a family favorite. We would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (607)
  • Korean first
South Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I can't say enough good things about the Wilderness Lodge. The staff is friendly, the rooms are a good size and very clean. The quick service restaurant, Roaring Forks, is convenient. The hotel restaurant, Whispering Canyon, has good food and great milkshakes. The Whispering Canyon can get a little loud, but that's part of the theme and it is fun for the kids. The pool area is nice and clean. We have stayed here several times over the past few years and always feel comfortable and welcome. The lodge has a very cozy feeling, and the room upgrades have made it even better. Housekeeping did a great job every day. One night I needed an extra washcloth. I called housekeeping and they came up to the room very shortly with an entire armload of washcloths and towels. The boat ride to Magic Kingdom is a very nice experience, one of our favorite parts of staying at the lodge. The Lodge does seem to cater to young families with younger children which has been great for us, but as our kiddos grow we may explore some other Disney hotels. I feel staying on Disney property is very convenient, affordable, and only adds to the Disney vacation experience. I highly recommend this hotel, especially to families with young children.

Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Just spent 8 nights at this resort and loved it. Was put in a courtyard view on the 3rd floor - nothing spectacular, but I was paying a heavily reduced rate and I was able to check-in early, so I was happy. However, I was not happy when the bell-hop knocked on my door with our luggage in the middle of naps after I had specifically called them to say do not bring it up until I call them again. While my sons missed their nap after an early flight, I went down to complain to guest services and after some negotiating, I was comped one night at the full-rate, which covered almost two nights at my rate. That's one thing I love about Disney - they are not afraid to right a wrong! After that, the resort was just perfect. Easy boat ride over to Magic Kingdom (where we spent most of our time). We took the bus to Epcot twice, and it wasn't the most convenient thing in the world, but wasn't bad. If I was going to visit all parks, I would probably want to stay in a resort that is more centrally located. But for those more interested in Magic Kingdom, this place is perfect! Thank you Disney, we will be back.

Grove City, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Had a wonderful stay here. Theming was great, staff was friendly, rooms were small but clean and new. Request a high floor magic kingdom/fireworks view they say they dont exsist but they do. we could see the fire works and castle it was amazing! Whispering canyon breakfast was good, dinner was not, also enjoyed the quick service options, artist point was amazing! They had plenty of pool activities and overall a nice pool area. The geyser was really cool we really liked seeing that. They have bike rentals, we rented a surry bike and took the path to fort wilderness and took daughter on apony ride she loved it! They also had free marshmallow roast at 530 and a movie at7pm. You could see the water pagent around 930 from the beach that was pretty cool.
Transportation was pretty good only had a few issues with downtown disney buses but other than that I can't complain. It was a great stay but I still like the monorail resorts better!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Okay, I have visited Disney World well beyond a dozen times and stayed at many of the resorts. The Wilderness Lodge is a great resort. Now Considering that in the Deluxe Level of resorts this is among the least expensive you have to know what you want before booking your resort.

When I last took my family here we knew that we were going to spend 2 1/2 - 3 days in Magic Kingdom, (MK) therefore, we wanted a resort in the MK area. Also we looked at the park hours and noticed that the extra magic hours times were not as abundant as last time we traveled, so we did not expect to be out past midnight, therefore we did not need 24 hour room service. We also only have three people in are party so the aspect that Wilderness Lodge has slightly smaller rooms than other Deluxe Level resorts did not bother us.

Knowing those factors we chose to stay at the Wilderness Lodge over the Contemporary Resort, The Grand Floridian, and the Polynesian Resort. All of those Deluxe Level Resorts offer extras that we did not feel was worth the extra money, despite the aspect we have stayed in those locations before. We decided to pocket the savings and use them to go on special tours in Disney World.

If what is important to you is, 24 hour room service and to be able to ride the Monorail then this resort is not for you. Just realize this, ask yourself how many times will you use 24 hour room service past midnight? If it is only once or twice then that is an expensive meal past midnight the the difference in cost. The same is true with the use of the Monorail from your resort.

Your resort should be the last aspect you choose when going to Disney World because if you want to spend a lot of time in Epcot and Hollywood studios then choosing a resort in the MK area will be a bummer because you will have to take a bus to both no matter where you stay in the MK area, where as you could choose a resort in the Epcot area that could allow you to walk to those parks. I enjoy the Wilderness Lodge and it fit into the plan of our last trip, I will stay here again whenever the trip dictates.

Staff is always amazing, management is always strong, nothing has ever been so bad that I would list it here as a complaint. Enjoy your stay. Also as a tip, ask for a room that faces the water as each night there is a water light parade that you can watch from your balcony.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Middlefield, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I recently stayed in a club level room at the Disney's Wilderness Lodge for 3 nights. It was really a great stay, and in terms of club level experience, was absolutely wonderful and one of the best at Disney.

The lounge on the 7th floor was never very crowded when we were there. Sometimes we ate in the seating provided around the top of the 7th floor, or we brought items back to our room. None of the rooms on the 7th floor appear to be very far from the lounge itself. The same food options are offered during breakfast, snack time and evening desserts. The 5 pm - 7 pm offerings vary daily, and the cobbler at dessert time varies from night to night as well.

The check in process was smooth. Our room had a view of the magic kingdom and we saw the fireworks from our balcony one evening. Access to the Magic Kingdom can't be beat from this hotel, as there is a boat that travels to and from the park. When we were there, there were at least two boats that operated, so the wait never felt very long. Additionally, there are two boats that travel to The Contemporary Resort and Fort Wilderness; the wait times for these boats are maybe ten minutes. It was great to just ride around on the boat! You can also rent bikes or walk around the nature trails at the property. One day we took the trail to the Fort Wilderness lodge and then took the boat back to the hotel. The walking trails and bike rentals are great options if you want to remove yourself from the craziness of the Disney experience, but not have to go far or worry about where you may end up. There's also a family of deer (3 in total) that seem to regularly traverse the nature area, so they were fun to see as well.

We also tried the food in the take-out food area by the pool on the first floor of the hotel. The food quality was good, and some of the items (like the pizza and caesar salad) were big enough to split. As our room also had a fridge, we were able to save some for snacking on later. It also provided some options other than just the standard burgers and fries that abounds at Disney.

Parking is ample and close by (unlike some other hotels), rooms are clean and despite the room being on the smaller side, it did not feel cramped at all. Club level was also a wonderful experience. Just be aware that on club level, you do not have an open balcony; when you sit down, all you see is the sky above and nothing in front of you. This offers great privacy, but if you want to see off of your balcony (without having to stand up), that did not appear to be available with the club level rooms on the 7th floor. This resort also doesn't seem to be as hectic or as large as some of the others (Grand Floridian, Polynesian, etc).

Overall, I'd recommend the Wilderness Lodge to anyone going to Disney! And if the price was right, I'd stay there again as well.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

My fiance and I stayed here as part of a recent multi-day Disney visit. We also stayed at the Boardwalk Inn Villas as well, for which I reviewed. We stayed at the Wilderness Lodge second and what a great surprise. This an an outstanding Disney hotel that we both loved and we highly recommend. We'll likely be staying here for future Disney trips.

As the name suggests, the hotel is set off by itself, sort of off in the woods a little, up against a lake. It is very private, quite, and very pretty. Now the drawback of this is arguably it does not make for the best location. You can take a boat to the magic kingdom, which is your only option other than driving or a shuttle (to far to walk) but beyond the magic kingdom all the other parks are a decent distance off.

As with all Disney hotels, you will be greeted upon driving up, and someone will also greet you at the door and walk you to the check in counter. We did have a slight problem with our reservation, as it turned out this time period Disney appeared to be updating/migrating there system but we ended up getting an upgrade for our troubles/wait to a very nice room with a King bed and a view of the pool and lake.

We were very, very happy with the room, but note if you have a room with a view of the pool, the noise will travel up through the windows and into your room. They do close the pool at a reasonable hour, but just FYI. Otherwise, the room was very spacious, comfortable, and clean.

The downstairs, main lobby/entrance is very impressive. Large, exposed, log beams, and cabin like structure. Very, very nice. There is also a very nice gift shop store as well with lots of food/toiletry options.

There appears to be three food options downstairs, none of which, unfortunately, we can recommend. The main restaurant has the word "cafe" in it but it is nothing like a cafe. It is more like an old fashion country kitchen, which is not a bad thing, just misleading. It has an interesting menu/dinning service. It is kind of an all you can eat set up, where you get a main dish option (meat), then sides, and I think desert as well and maybe a salad. You kind of order for the whole table and share everything. Set menu prices.

Not knowing this, and just wanting a light meal, my fiance and I went to the restaurant late one evening and just ended up ordering a bunch of sides. So we can't really speak for how good the food is. Just know you have very limited options in what you will get. Kind of a weird set up for a family hotel.

Another place is a very high end, expensive disney restaurant. We did not go in. The last option is a grab and go set up, like cafeteria style. My fiance just picked up some fruit and yogurt one morning for breakfast.

So, I would say I was disappointed with the meal options. Just no middle ground really where you can sit down and have a nice meal with a diverse menu. You either get a very large family style share meal (which doesn't really work for just two), an expensive, fancy dinner, or grab and go. So....you probably want to eat before coming back to your room.

We did not get a chance to use the pool area but it looked very, very nice.

There is a nice beach area with lounge chairs as well out behind the pull. Just walk passed the pool to the right and keep going...you'll see it. Goes up to the edge of the lake but I don't think you can swim in the lake...it's not a beach area really, just sand up to the edge of a concrete wall where the lake is. You can probably sit there and dangle your feet but that would be about it.

A tip...at night, at think at 9pm but ask, they have a neat little boat light show that comes out in front of the hotel. You might be able to see it from your room if you can see the lake, but if not, just head to the beach area and grab a lounge chair.

Parking is pretty easy; it is a short walk for self-parking.

I suppose one other minor issue I noticed was the hot water in our room, in the shower, seemed to take a while to get hot. The hotel is billed as a "eco" hotel, so that might be why, but not sure. So don't be surprised if you have to let it run a little to get hot...or you get a shower with only the hot water turned on.

So, to summarize, the only negatives really are limited food options and no park is within walking distance and only the magic kingdom can be reached using the boat. Otherwise, you are driving or taking the shuttle.

Beyond those two minor issues, however, we absolutely loved this hotel. Very charming and much, much nicer than the Boardwalk Inn Villas for less money. You won't be disappointed!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orlando
Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge
Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Disney's Port Orleans Resort - French Quarter
Disney's Beach Club Resort
Disney's Polynesian Village Resort

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!