“Beautiful Resort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Save Saved
You added Disney's Wilderness Lodge to your Saves list
Disney's Wilderness Lodge
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Timberline Drive, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Ranked #22 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Palm Beach, FL
“Beautiful Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed here a few weeks before Christmas and I chose this hotel because I expected it to be gorgeous for the holidays. I was right! We were greeted by a bell choir in the lobby on arrival and the resort was decorated charmingly. The roaring fire and the giant tree were just the right atmosphere to get in the holiday spirit. The rooms were clean and had rustic touches. One of the nicer things about this resort is the ease of getting to the transportation areas. The bus stop is closer than some of the other resorts and the boat to the Magic Kingdom is convenient. We had a courtyard view which allowed us to see the geyser and the electrical parade on the lake from our balcony. The only warning I would give about that is that the closer you are to the lake, the closer you are to the pool, which can be noisy. The quick service restaurant was good. We did not dine at Artists Point but I took a look at the menu and I will go back to eat there. It looked great. While the ride to the MK was quick, some of the other parks took a while since the bus stopped at other resorts or parks. I had not encountered this at other hotels and did not plan for the extra time so we were late for a reservation at Epcot one night. We really enjoyed the Lodge and plan to go back when we can enjoy some more of the events that go on at the resort.

Room Tip: You can see the fireworks from some rooms and the lake from the courtyard area.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

2,137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
alberta canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our family stayed at the Wilderness lodge for 6 nights. We stayed at a moderate resort in the past and this was our first time at a deluxe resort.

Overall we had a fantastic time and we enjoyed the additional convenience of a deluxe resort. We had excellent service and majority of cast members were fantastic. My son has a severe allergy to the chemicals that hotels use in sheets. Disney was very accommodating by supplying sheets and towels that are not washed in detergents. At check-in, we were given lots of great information on where the nearest doctors were and shortly after we checked in, house keeping called to follow up. Our room was clean and we had a great view of the lake. Having a fridge in the room was also great.

Conveniences that we enjoyed:
- Having access to the magic kingdom via boat
- kids club right on the resort
- Artist point on site (it was absolutely fantastic)
- Our son loved the lights show at night
- All amenities under one roof
- Roasting marshmallows was also fun

There were very little for cons but we were disappointed that the lounge by the pool closed early (I believe 6pm) and the life guards were gone at the same time (not that we needed life guards) but they also put away the life jackets (my son still needs one) and shut down the water slide (the slide was closed until the last day). It wouldn't be so bad except we didn't get back to the resort until after they packed up and left.

Would we stay there again? It would have to depend on our budget, the $1,400 difference from a deluxe to a moderate resort is a debatable topic for my husband and I. We're not sure if the additional convenience would be worth the added cost. If cost was not an issue, we would absolutely stay again!

St. John's, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My family of 4 spent 10 nights at the Wilderness Lodge in a bunkbed room. The lobby of the hotel is spectactular, large carved totem poles, very inviting places to sit and lounge and even a place for the kiddies to sit and watch a movie or play while mommy and daddy get checked in. The grounds are beautiful, lovely gardens a terrific pool for both young and old and a sandy beach that shows movies at night. Travelling using the shuttles and boats was very convienient, although we still used our car sometimes. The bunkbeds in the bedroom were very nice to have as our 2 and 6 year old don't sleep well in a bed together. But that was about all that was nice about the rooms. The rooms were definitely not even close to the standard of a deluxe hotel. They were very dark with dents in the walls and furniture. Our mini fridge was replaced twice before we got one that worked. The sink area was not in good shape, it was cleaned but no amount of cleaning would have made it look presentable. Plus we never once got one of those towel animals you hear about despite leaving generous tips and actually asking the staff. Honestly the room was dark and depressing even with all the lights on and the curtains open, very un-Disney-like. We spent as little time as necessary in the room. It seems that they were starting to renovate the rooms as a wing on one of the floors was closed for renovations but I think they waited way too long to do this. If you do go there definitely try the orange cream mickey waffles at the Roaring Forks, they are delicious. I had a hard time rating this hotel as most things about it were great but the rooms were such a disappointment that I decided to go with 3 stars instead of 4. We will probably drop back to the hotel for the waffles but we will not be staying there again. For what we paid the rooms were not even close to being acceptable. This is the first time we stayed on Disney property and I loved being emmersed totally in Disney but I think that we will have to check out the rooms of other onsite hotels before I ever book another Disney hotel.

Room Tip: Wait until the room renovations are done!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

This was our second time staying at the Wilderness Lodge, which is an amazing property on so many levels. The architecture and details are stunning, and the location is fabulous for Magic Kingdom lovers. I am an Epcot lover myself, but none of the Epcot hotels can match the grandeur of the Lodge.

We were assigned rooms on the south wing, and I was disappointed, as I had asked for northerly facing rooms. Despite being sold out for the night, they were able to accommodate our request for northerly facing connecting rooms. To our delight, we could see the MK castle through the trees and enjoy the fireworks from our balconies!

The wonderful transportation to and from the airport as well as to and from the parks make staying on Disney property a no-brainer. Wireless internet access was included with the price of the room as well.

Every cast member we met was very kind and helpful, but the real award for service came when I opened my mail today. I hadn't realized that I had left my lanyard with many special Disney pins in the room when we left last week, but I received it in the mail today with a nice note. Thanks so much!!!

Room Tip: Northerly facing rooms on high floors afford views of MK & fireworks.
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Wilderness lodge never disappoints :). Overall, the lodge is my favorite of the disney properties. nothing is perfect of course, but you can count on the lodge to deliver a great vacation. We had a lovely room on the club/concierge level ("old faithful club") 7th floor.
Check in should have been easier, apparently the hotel only has 15 luggage carts, and we had to fight for one. i was not too happy about this. but after we got into the hotel, we were able to skip the line and were escorted right to the seventh floor concierge check in.
The concierge level gives you drinks and snacks throughout the day. The pm snack included pasta and chicken dishes that we really liked. The breakfast includes oatmeal etc. the snacks are not meals, but it's nice to be able to grab a soda or cup of tea when you want it. The only thing I can fault them for is the coffee makers kept breaking.
We had a king size bed in our room, and a nice size bathroom with a big jacuzzi. My only complaint is that it's really difficult to get in and out of the shower/tub !! You have to sit on the edge and swing your legs in/out. Awkward. We ordered extra towels and shampoo, and a shower cap. Everything came promptly. The bed was a little too hard for my taste, and the pillows a little too fluffy, but at the end of the day you are just so tired so you sleep anyway! The room had a mini fridge, a table and chairs, and plenty of lighting, and a nice flat screen tv.
We called the concierge several times to ask questions and make restaurant reservations. I was disappointed that their ability to get a reservation was no better than I could have done myself on the Internet. They could not give us a late check out either. I guess I expected a little more assistance overall than we were able to get.
The wireless Internet was not great. The signal would go off/on, which is always frustrating.
We used the boat service (in the back of the property) to get to the mk and to the contemporary. Very efficient & friendly service.
I am super picky about the details when I'm paying top dollar at a hotel or restaurant. I rate the lodge an overall A- .
The wilderness lodge is a bargain price compared to similar Disney properties. We will be back (soon I hope)!!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We just returned from a 4 night stay in Disney's Wilderness Lodge concierge level. Having stayed one night last summer in a concierge level room at Disney's Contemporary resort, I was really looking forward to this longer stay in the same luxury. It wasn't the same....the room was much smaller, lacking the room amenities I expected (and received at the Contemporary) the concierge lounge area was minimal, and my excitement re the concierge level room was short lived. Don't get me wrong, it is a very nice hotel but the actual room and lounge area size is lacking compared to the Contemporary resort concierge level. The Old Faithful room was well stocked with delicious treats and libations throughout the day. The staff was always helpful and available. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation but do not feel the extra cost for concierge level is justified. You may enjoy the beautiful lobby with it's massive fireplace, excellent restaurants, delightful pool area, boat and bicycle rental,and Electrical Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon each night all for the cost of a standard room and save the additional cost of the concierge level.

Holmes, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our family absolutely loved staying here! Everything from the outside to the inside is beautiful. The decor of the hotel is what really made me stay there. It's like a huge log cabin. There is a stream going through the lodges lobby. There is also a huge fireplace in the lobby. The pool is beautiful and very big, everyday they have a pool dance party. It's also on the lake, you can take the ferry directly over to Magic Kingdom, it's about 5 minutes away. The hotel room is not that big, but it is very nice and it also has a balcony with a table and chairs. They have a cleaner that cleans the room every day. The kids couldn't wait to get back to the hotel because the maid would make different animals out of towels. It was very great and creative! If your hungry, all you have to do is walk out your room and on the main floor you have 3 restaurants to choose from. If I had to choose again, I would definitely stay here. I would love to stay here every time I go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Disney's Wilderness Lodge? Share your experiences!