“Better then expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Disney's BoardWalk Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Orlando
Disney's BoardWalk Inn
You added Disney's BoardWalk Inn to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2101 North Epcot Resorts Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Orlando, FL 32830   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #62 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Better then expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

At first I was a little weary becuase of some of the comments below about the pool and the room but once I arrived I was more at ease. It's a very beautiful hotel and the room is very large. The set up of the bathroom was perfect - sink & mirror seperate from the toilet and shower. This made it fairly easy to share the room with three other adults.
We got very lucky because we were upgraded into the concierge floor so although we had a REALLY far walk to the room, it was worth it for the free wine, beer, snacks, breakfast, coffee, water ect.. Sure saved a lot of time and money knowing we had access to that! One note is the concierge staff wasn't as friendly as you would expect them to be. They almost seemed annoyed when asked a question.
The hotel is in a great location - walkable to epcot and MGM, the ferry to both is right out the back door and the bus to Disney and Animal kingdom is about a 1/2 hour ride. Note: get off at Swan and walk back to the hotel - it's quicker!
I had sent one of my shirts into the dry cleaner and somehow it became seperated (it was a shell with a tank & sheer cover attached). All I got back was the sheer cover and I was not happy. I got no where with the maid service on duty that night. Unfortunately I didn't discover this until the night before I was supposed to leave. I was very very upset and as I was walking down to the front desk to talk to demand to speak with the hotel manager, a food service person tried to help me. God bless this young man - he was an angel. He didn't leave me until I was calmed down. Anyway.. he put me in touch with the head of housekeeping and the very next day i met with her and she searched everywhere for my shirt - couldn't find it so reimbursed me for the cost.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — staff
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2006

Just returned from a July trip to Disneyworld and stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. We have previousley stayed at Old Key West, Wilderness Loge and 2x at Port Orleans Riverside. The Boardwalk Inn cannot be beat for its location. We had 2 connecting rooms on the fifth floor 5291 & 5293. Our balconies looked out over the entrance to the Boardwalk and in the distance you could see Tower of Terror. The rooms were spacious and clean, the beds extremely comfy. The only downfall was that they were located near the elevators and you heard the motors of the elevators all night. We were a bit disappointed in the size of the main pool and it seemed to need a little TLC -- as compared to the other resorts. The quiet pool was perfect and never crowded. The parks on the other hand were extremely crowded and the extra park hours at night made them seem more crowded -- just remember the extra park hous are for everyone staying on Disney property ..and there are alot of people! We decided that the night there was EPH at Magic Kingdon we would go to MGM becasue everyone on Disney property would be at MK - this strategy actually worked great! One restuarant that we would highly recommend is Shula's Steakhouse in the Disney Dolphin. Themed after the Miami Dolphins "perfect season" this was our family's "special night" out dinner. It is extremely pricey but we felt it was worth every $. We spend one afternoon just walking from the Boardwalk around the lake to the Beach Club, Yacht Bluc, Disney Dolphin and Disney Swan. It was a great way to beat the crowds and gave us a chance to see what the other resorts looked like. All in all we would certainly recommend the Boardwalk for location, cleanliness and variety of restuarants available.

• Liked — Location
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2006

At first I was hesistant - especially after some of the reviews I've read on this website. However, a discounted rate for Florida residents popped up on the Disney website and we switched our vacation booking from the Wilderness Lodge to the Boardwalk Inn. I wasn't too sure about this move as I was already looking forward to the Wilderness. I'd already done my restaurant research for the Wilderness, traveling around there, and all the goodies that went with that resort. However, at a savings of over a thousand dollars and to move to a resort that would be considered an upgrade, I had to make the switch.

As soon as we were dropped off at the resort by the Magical Express bus, all my worries and concerns disappeared. The outside of the resort is nothing spectacular, but when you walk into the lobby, you are greeted by a massive chandalier comprised of cherubs, mythical seahorses and pearls. It almost looks like a huge gold carousel, but it isn't. To say it is impressive is an understatement and you will most definitely crane your neck upward to take in the entire expanse of this marvel.

Everything in the lobby makes you feel as though you stepped back into time to say Coney Island in the early 1900's. The furniture and appointments are sublime yet gorgeous. Not too ostentatious, but definitely ornate. I loved it! The staff were all very courteous and quite friendly.

We arrived at the resort at about 11:00 am and one of the two rooms we'd reserved was ready, so we unloaded our carry on bags into that room and walked over to Epcot. Before I get into the proximity of this resort to the parks, let me just touch on the rooms. Our room was very tasteful and quite lovely. Again, I loved it. The theme of turn of the century luxury continues into the guest rooms with soft pastels contrasted against dark cherry furniture. Quite nice. There was a double sink w/ a marble countertop. The bathrooms were tiled as was the shower. The showerhead had about seven different types of spray (the one that really pounds you actually feels great after a looooong day in the Orlando heat!). The carpeting was rather thin and not super comfy, but it was clean, neat and in good condition. The air conditioner was very quiet and worked like a charm! The room was very comfortable and quite spacious, also. This resort also had the most comfortable beds I've slept on yet in a Disney resort. I don't know what kind of mattress it was, but it was absolutely heavenly. My wife also commented on what an absolutely wonderful bed that resort had. Prior to this, we've stayed at the Coronado Springs resort, which is my favorite of the moderate resorts. Our room also had a nice patio area with two chairs and a small glass table. We were on the first floor with a standard view room that overlooked a nice, quiet area between our wing and another wing. There were several trees and the area was well landscaped. We didn't have a view of a parking lot or anything objectionable at all!

You can't beat this resort for convenience to Epcot. It is just a five minute walk down the boardwalk and then you come to a gate that lets you into Epcot in the World Showcase portion right near France. This is perfect for retreating back to your resort after catching Illuminations fireworks show during the evening. You don't have to fight the press for the front gate of the park. So, as far as Epcot is concerned, you can't beat this resort for convenience.

You can also walk into MGM Studios from this resort, but it is a much longer, arduous walk (especially in Summer). I'm estimating it would be about a thirty minute walk to get from Boardwalk to MGM. However, there is a ferry boat that runs from the dock at the Boardwalk to MGM. The ferries run about every twenty minutes or so and the ride from Boardwalk to MGM takes about twenty minutes. Unless you want to work off some pounds, take the ferry, enjoy the ride and the AC! The back of the ferry boat is actually nice to ride on in the evenings! There is also a ferry that runs to Epcot from the Boardwalk, also. Here is the basic circuit that the ferries ran on while we were there. The ferry that picked us up to take us to MGM went from our resort to the Yacht Club/Beach Club resort (both resorts share one common dock) and then to the Dolphin/Swan (again, both resorts share one common dock) and then to MGM. For the return trip, the boat left MGM and went to Dolphin/Swan, then to Yacht Club/Beach Club and then to Boardwalk. If we'd stayed on that boat, the next stop would have been Epcot. So, if you catch the ferry from the Boardwalk dock to Epcot, there are no stops between the resort and that park. All that being said, I prefered the ferry to MGM over a bus ride to MGM.

Animal Kingdom seemed to be the farthest bus ride away. There is only one central bus stop at the front of the Boardwalk and the buses also stop at the Dolphin, the Swan, the Yacht Club and the Beach Club. HOWEVER, and I felt this was a plus, every bus stopped at the Boardwalk FIRST. So, if you were leaving to go to the Magic Kingdom or to Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk resort guests were the first ones on to relatively empty buses. As the bus went on down the line to the other resorts, those guests found it rather difficult in the early mornings to get seats on the buses as they were generally arriving already close to full. The only downside to this was that the Boardwalk was always last on the list for the drop off on the return rides back from said theme parks. That wasn't a big problem for me because I'd rather have first opportunity to load the bus than last! The ride to the Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom wasn't too bad. It didn't really take any longer than it seemed to take when we took buses from Coronado Springs.
Overall, I'd have to give this resort an excellent rating with regards to ease of transportation to and from the parks - especially the MGM Studios and Epcot theme parks.

Now onto the resort itself. The Boardwalk is a neat resort! There's a lot to do at this resort and things really start to come alive out on the boardwalk at about five to six o'clock at night. The sun is beginning to wane, the temperature is somewhat better and it actually gets downright pleasant out there! There were a myriad of entertainers who were extremely lively and jovial! Everybody I saw looked like they loved their cast member position! There's lots to do and see on the boardwalk! From carnival games, to a traveling bicycle/piano player, magicians, jugglers - not to mention some of the carny games! You can rent a bike to pedal around the resort or even a boat to zip across the lake. Fun! Of course, the real attraction for the kids is the pool with the Keister Coaster. This is a 200' water slide made to look like an old wooden roller coaster. The slide dumps out of the mouth of a clown (scary!), but the kids LOVE this thing! My son went down this slide 45 times in a row if he went down it once. There's a nice poolside bar for adult beverages, but it also serves non-alcoholic drinks. The only downside to the pool was that there was no real food service near it. If you wanted, say, a burger, you had to go onto the boardwalk itself. No biggie, though! I didn't go to the pool to eat - I went to slide screaming out of a clown's mouth! We were there in mid/late July and the pool was busy but not over crowded. We had no problems finds chairs, tables, etc. There were also plenty of towels available poolside. The pool gets an excellent review from me! This pool does close rather early, though. It closed at 8:00pm, which I thought was early especially considering it was still light out until past 9:00, however there is a quiet pool that stays open until midnight.

This resort had a game room in that it had a room (small) and there were about five games in it. It was really not very good, but it had some games my son loved. It had Jurassic Park III which involved shooting dinosaurs (right up an 8 yr. old boy's alley), Mario Kart and some Fast and Furious game. The games run on cards that you swipe. The cards are dispensed from a machine and you can always add money/credits to your card at any time. The good thing is that these cards work on any games in any resort. I took my son over to the Contemporary Resorts BIG game room and he played the same three games he played at Boardwalk! Go figure! There's much more fun, family oriented stuff to do than sit in a gameroom anyhow. Think Surrey Bike!!!

For food, the Boardwalk is tops! Ok, so you've got the ESPN club on one side and that's a GREAT place to get wings, burgers, and similar fare. The atmosphere is awesome if you're a sports fan and there's always something goin on at the club. Also, if you're a guy, you have to check out the bathroom. I know, sounds weird, but hear me out here. Every stall had a flat panel tv hanging over it from the ceiling. There are also flat panel tv's by the sink. You can't miss a play even if you have to run to the restroom! How cool is that!! Can't say about what's in the ladies room, but I'd guess it was similarly equipped (maybe it had the all Desperate Housewives station running in there!!!). Had a great burger and fries at the ESPN Club and it was very reasonable.

We never made it into Spoodles, but the food always smelled marvelous as we passed by the restaurant. The menu also looked yummy!!! Well..... not the menu itself, but all the food listed on it. However, Spoodles did have a walk up pizza window that was the bomb! One night we got back to the resort from the Magic Kingdom and my son said, "Dad, I'm hungry!" I was too - go figure! I took a quick jaunt out to the Spoodles walk up window and ordered two slices of piping hot pizza and some cold root beer! In less than five minutes, I was back in the room with the food and we had a little pizza party! The pizza is goooood, too. It isn't the same stuff you can get from the parks. This is REAL pizza! Lots of gooey, drippy, hot cheese and the sauce had just the right amount of spice to it. Magnifico!!! You can order pizza by the slice or by the whole pie there right up until 11:45 pm! The window closes at midnight.

The real treat for dining is definitely the Flying Fish Cafe. I had a dinner of fresh scallops that was to die for. The Flying Fish recently won Best Seafood Restauarant in Orlando for 2006! Quite a feather in the cap of the chefs! The food is excellent and it is worth planning one night to dine there. The scallops are outstanding. The steak is also highly recommended. The food is very fresh and prepared to order. It was the most expensive meal from the trip, but also well worth it! You won't be disappointed if you dine here.

As far as noise was concerned, my room was not overlooking the boardwalk, so it wasn't noisy. We did have some drunk people that came down the hallway making quite a bit of racket at about 2:00am one night, but that wasn't the resort's fault. They must've been coming from Pleasure Island or somewhere, but they were rude people who weren't considerate of other guests. You can find that in any resort. I was able to hear them probably more than I would've heard them in the Coronado, but that's due to the encloses hallways (whereas the Coronado has open air walkways outside the doors).

All in all, I'm glad we didn't stay at the Wilderness, although I'd love to stay there and at the Animal Kingdom. However, the Boardwalk has just wowed my family with it's numerous amenities and conveniences. I'm afraid it has spoiled us for moderate resorts from now on!

• Liked — Great dining options and convenience to theme parks!
  • Disliked — Having to leave =(
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2006

I had the pleasure of staying in Disney's Boardwalk Inn for three nights over
Memorial Day weekend. After booking a Garden Suite based on last minute availability, I envisioned the layout being similar to a normal two room suite you would find at a high-end hotel chain. Well, this is Disney, so I should have expected something different (but good!).

A Garden Suite (more acurately referred to as a Garden Cottage at the Inn), is
actually like a really nicely appointed two floor loft apartment (with a beautiful fenced in garden outside). You enter the room from the outside through glass french doors. Once inside, the first floor has a large sitting room, a wet bar area with fridge and microwave, and a 1/2 bath. After you walk up a nice staircase, the second floor loft area has a king size bed, and a bath area with large whirlpool, double marble vanity, and a spacious marble shower. My room was immaculately clean, and housekeeping did a great job keeping up with cleaning and turn-down service (loved the taffy!). There's definitely tons of space in a Garden Suite, and it's the perfect room for those looking for some privacy and quiet away from the rest of the often-times busy hotel.

Garden Suites are conveniently located across from the quiet pool. They also allow you access to the 4th floor Innkeepers Club area, which has food presentations during the day/evening, dessert and cordial offerings at night, and anything you might
need from the Innkeepers-specific concierge (reservations, questions etc). The only negatives for the room were shower noise from one of the two rooms above, and some room-service plates weren't taken away overnight after I called to have them removed.

As far as the Boardwalk Inn itself, well, it's pretty much the perfect on-site Deluxe Disney resort. It has the best location (lots of restaurants and things to do right outside), it's gorgeous and classy, and it has some of the 'newest' (10 years old) Deluxe accomodations in Disney (aside from the newly opened Saratoga Springs resort).

While Memorial Day weekend is a bad time to visit Disney World (extremely crowded), the staff at the Boardwalk Inn made my stay extremely pleasant. They went out of their way to help me when needed, and made my trip a memorable one.

Traveler's Tips: If you can rent a car while at Disney World, do so. Disney's Magical Express works fine, but a bus is a bus. Plan on it taking an hour or so door to door each way, depending on when you get on the bus, what stop your hotel is, and if your departing terminal is A or B on the way back. Additionally, while the Boardwalk Inn is wonderfully located (next to Epcot and MGM), it is close to four other Epcot resorts who all share the same bus route. My bus ride back from Animal Kingdom was an hour-long nightmare that consisted of a long wait at the park, wheelchair loadings/unloadings, too many people, and too many stops. A car will get you to to many more places, much more easily, including: Downtown Disney, Fort Wilderness, the two Waterparks, and
all the great restuarants located in other hotels, like Artist Point in the Wilderness Lodge.

As others have said, a regular room at a deluxe Disney property is nothing more than a typical Marriott or Hilton room (but at a MUCH higher cost). Upgrade to a suite if you can - they're WAY more than twice the size and value of a regular room, and sometimes not more than twice the price. Check for availability - it's definitely worth it!

• Stayed May 2006
Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

My son and I had been to Disney four times and decided to try the Boardwalk Inn this time because we have always enjoyed hanging out on the boardwalk at night and this hotel always looked nice. This was a short trip for us July 1-4.

We arrived early (around 10a) and were pleasantly suprised that our room was ready. The lady that checked us in was very nice and we were quickly given information about the resort, all the parks, our passes, and then directed to our room. The room was very spacious and clean and had a nice balcony. The decor could really use some updates. Although clean, you could definitely tell that the wallpaper, furniture, etc had been there for years. It wasn't a major factor because we weren't in the room that much anyway.

We loved the location of this resort because we love the restaurants and atmosphere on the boardwalk (which worked great with the dining plan!) and the fact that you could easily walk or take a boat to MGM or Epcot. However, if you plan on going to any other park or Downtown Disney...beware. I've been at Disney before, stayed at All-Star Movies, Caribbean Beach, and Polynesian, and the transportation at the Boardwalk was by far the worst. We know that waiting for 20-30 minutes for a bus is common, but what we experienced here was ridiculous! We NEVER waited under 25 minutes and everytime we got on a bus, it also stopped at the Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, and Beach Club before getting to our destination. One time we waited 35 minutes for a bus to Downtown Disney and then had to go to 4 other resorts before geting there. So in all, we arrived at Downtown Disney an hour and a half after arriving at the bus stop. Other people there missed dinner reservation, etc. I can understand sharing a bus with another resort, but the Boardwalk Inn is a deluxe resort, and we had to share with 5 resorts, which is more than any of the other buses. For the money you pay for this resort, I think guests deserve better.

Stayed July 2006
Inverness Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2006

We were to check in the Boardwalk Inn for the last 2 days of June for the long holiday weekend. We have never been to Disney before despiting living in Florida and were very much looking foward to it. When making reservations we picked the Boardwalk Inn as the representative on the phone stated it had the wireless internet we required for business in the rooms and was one of the luxury resorts for a Florida resident special. The outside of the hotel is pretty and I thought the lobby was beautiful. We were pleased that when we arrived early that we could check in early and the valet staff was friendly. However, the friendliness stopped there. The hotel staff was very "vanilla" with no magic at all. A lifeless woman handed out cupcakes and a man was making balloon animals, but clearly was either tired or not in love with his job. Just not what we expected. We were guaranteed a king bed and nonsmoking room for medical reasons. We were stunned at out room, the beds were low standard hotel type, we had double beds instead of the king, the carpet was worn, the wallpaper was worn. Overall it was not the magic we thought it would be. We decided to make the best but then when we could not get our computer to work we went back to the lobby and they stated that they did not have wireless in the hotel. Which even smaller hotels have it, and a park the caliber of Disney it was very surprising. I was told the wireless they have is in their conference room and lobby only. We asked about other resorts and suprisingly were told no other wireless internet at the hotels at Disney, which not only did the representative state that they had but their own website advertises it on the resort pages. They do not state it is in the lobby area only. They do over data ports, which is not what we were equipped for and the cord was less than 2 feet long and at a charge of 9.95 a day, also not mentioned at reservation time nor on their website. We told them this was very upsetting and instead of offering or finding a way to fix it she blandly stated she would credit our credit card and we could go elsewhere. We will never return to Disney.

• Stayed June 2006
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2006

Stayed at the Boardwalk Inn for three nights in June. Overall, this is a nice hotel. We arrived early before our room was ready, but we were able to check in and get a telephone number to call to see when our room was ready. We had a room with two queen beds, and we found the room to be quite spacious and clean. The beds were very comfortable. I expected the pool to be larger, but it was fine. The location just cannot be beat - right on the boardwalk and within easy walking distance to the other Epcot resorts or Epcot itself.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Disney's BoardWalk Inn? Share your experiences!