“A real gem” 5 of 5 stars

10% off room rate
Ranked #6 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
“A real gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

I have stayed at this lovely hotel on several occasions and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future whenever I visit Orlando. The location is great and the mall is huge with a diverse array of shops to suit everyone's tastes. Couple that with the array of diners and restaurants peppered around the mall car park and the proximity of Target it pushes a lot of the right buttons!

The hotel facilities are in line with what you would come to expect from a hotel of this size, what makes it stand out for me is the ethos of the staff. I have yet to meet, in all my years, a person who doesn't smile when they see you. Manners and courtesy cost nothing, apart from the efforts of the management to ensure that their importance is driven into their customer services role staff. Something which they have clearly achieved. Other large corporations should take note.

Although large, this hotel has a more 'human' feel compared to its more commonplace competitors, and I can honestly say that I don't want a thing to change as I feel very welcome every time I stay.

Thank you for taking the time out to serve me excellently. I'm glad I finally took the time to review you.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (333)
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Most of the reviews on here describe this hotel with such high regards that it builds too high of an expectation. This is not the Ritz or JW. That is not to say it is a bad hotel. It is clean, the staff is kind and the location works well if you have a conference there or need to be close to the Florida Mall (attached to hotel). The pool area was nice but again nothing stellar. I may have given a higher review if it wasn't for the annoying $18.00 Resort Fee when it is not a Resort. They call it something else but that is what they are charging for. If not for this charge I may have considered giving it four instead of 3 but at $143.00 for a one night stay I think there are much better hotels for this price in the Orlando area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Hotelier32819, General Manager at The Florida Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Ryan C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit.

I am pleased to see that you found the hotel to be clean, the staff kind and that our location was convenient for your visit. I am disappointed though that the nightly service fee which covers the cost for private self-parking for hotel guests, unlimited internet access in your guestroom and all public areas, state of the art 24-hour business center, expanded fitness center, in-room safe and refrigerator along with two bottles of water daily was not well received. Priced separately, costs for these items would be much more significant.

We value your business and certainly appreciate the time you took to post a review. Should your travels bring you back to the area I hope you will reconsider our hotel where you know you will receive friendly and efficient service, clean and functional accommodations in a great location.

Keith E. Wolling
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Having read so many excellent reviews, I think it set my expectations too high--- better for me to be plenty surprised by a 2 star that ends up okay than a 5 star that was average-good/underwhelming.

I stayed here due to attending a seminar that was being held there. For this purpose the location was good-- not right in the middle of the I-drive/ Disney tourist crowds, and having the mall there provided ample convenient lunch options during our lunch breaks.

The room was clean and modern, but on the small side, and all of the pillows were thicker than what we like--- if there is going to be eight pillows in the room, have some variety for different sleep preferences. It was also nice to the the frig. and safe in the room. It was annoying the bathroom door was of the type that automatically closes, since the a/c did not seem to be strong in the bathroom, it became quite humid in there after a shower, so we needed to find something to keep the door propped open. The room was very quiet, never heard a neighbor, even being right by the elevator, never heard noise.

My husband used the pool and fitness areas, and found them to be of good quality..

Staff were friendly and professional.

I also started to get annoyed by all the comment cards--- everyday, twice a day, at the seminar, at checkin, in the room-- overkill.

We had a good rate for the seminar, so I guess overall it was a decent value, even when the $18 fee is added on----- I find these fees annoying--- paying for things less expensive motels can provide in the room rate--- but like I said, still a decent enough value for the quality of hotel.

If I was coming to Orlando for touristic purposes, it would not be the location I would choose, but for an on site conference, I would stay again if the price was still right.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Second stay here. Very good with a great value. Huge all attached. Defiantly recommend. Friendly staff and helpful. Room size was ok. Average at best. Cost of good at hotel was costly. Better to goto mall for quick bite.

• Stayed June 2013
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at many "top of the line" hotels in my life but for the price of our 1st class room and the quality of the food (dinner and breakfast) at an unbelieveable low prices, I will definitely come back again. Thank you!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room. Our room top notch without breaking the bank!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were extremely pleased with our stay here. The overall cleanliness of the hotel and room was top notch. Wonderful location connected to a mall. That's right people a mall. A Starbucks in the lobby and best of all its a non smoking property. I will be returning and recommending this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

When I learned that this was the hotel for a very prestigious conference I was attending, I admit that I was highly skeptical. Yes, highly. What was this Florida Hotel and Conference Center that I had never heard of?

But then the taxi turned into the complex. What? Is that a mall it's connected to? A mall with a Nordstrom's? This can't be true. Nonetheless, I maintained my NYC poker face. Something's wrong, I know. Wait for it...

But from the moment the valet opened my taxi door, greeted me and retrieved my luggage from the trunk without trying to "deliver it to my room", I was hooked. And it only got better from there. The front desk personnel were attentive and quick. They were actually kind of dazzling because I couldn't keep up with their attentiveness and energy as I went through the less than 5-minute check-in.

The room was lovely, clean and modest, but oh so comfortable with touches of luxe (and E! TV). Probably what stood out most for me, was the glass sound walls around the elevator. Having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world -- and I know this may be a little thing for many people -- but this was the first hotel I've stayed in that was thoughtful enough to shelter the sound of the elevator for those who had rooms near the elevator -- where my room was located.

However, in the spirit of transparency, let me tell you about their conference capabilities. The AV system was lacking with embarrassing delays for a couple of presentations as the system was "paralyzed" by Prezi and any embedded videos. And while the food was wonderful, with delightful salads, main entrees and desserts that, surprisingly, didn't taste like the refrigerator, the coffee was tepid and, oh, not so good. But in the bigger scheme of things, I didn't spend the majority of my time steeped in these experiences.

I had great room service and detailed attention and greetings at every step I made. And this is the place where you do need to "exit through the gift shop" -- the spot where I received the most focused attention. Look, I can go on and on about the staff -- that totally exemplify hospitality -- but let me just say that this hotel exceeded my expectations and this will be my hotel of choice the next time I visit Orlando.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Florida Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!