“the good reviews made my expectations too high” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1500 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809 (Florida Mall)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #7 of 332 Hotels in Orlando
Sarasota, Florida
“the good reviews made my expectations too high”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Having read so many excellent reviews, I think it set my expectations too high--- better for me to be plenty surprised by a 2 star that ends up okay than a 5 star that was average-good/underwhelming.

I stayed here due to attending a seminar that was being held there. For this purpose the location was good-- not right in the middle of the I-drive/ Disney tourist crowds, and having the mall there provided ample convenient lunch options during our lunch breaks.

The room was clean and modern, but on the small side, and all of the pillows were thicker than what we like--- if there is going to be eight pillows in the room, have some variety for different sleep preferences. It was also nice to the the frig. and safe in the room. It was annoying the bathroom door was of the type that automatically closes, since the a/c did not seem to be strong in the bathroom, it became quite humid in there after a shower, so we needed to find something to keep the door propped open. The room was very quiet, never heard a neighbor, even being right by the elevator, never heard noise.

My husband used the pool and fitness areas, and found them to be of good quality..

Staff were friendly and professional.

I also started to get annoyed by all the comment cards--- everyday, twice a day, at the seminar, at checkin, in the room-- overkill.

We had a good rate for the seminar, so I guess overall it was a decent value, even when the $18 fee is added on----- I find these fees annoying--- paying for things less expensive motels can provide in the room rate--- but like I said, still a decent enough value for the quality of hotel.

If I was coming to Orlando for touristic purposes, it would not be the location I would choose, but for an on site conference, I would stay again if the price was still right.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

Second stay here. Very good with a great value. Huge all attached. Defiantly recommend. Friendly staff and helpful. Room size was ok. Average at best. Cost of good at hotel was costly. Better to goto mall for quick bite.

• Stayed June 2013
Millersville, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have stayed at many "top of the line" hotels in my life but for the price of our 1st class room and the quality of the food (dinner and breakfast) at an unbelieveable low prices, I will definitely come back again. Thank you!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong with any room. Our room top notch without breaking the bank!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We were extremely pleased with our stay here. The overall cleanliness of the hotel and room was top notch. Wonderful location connected to a mall. That's right people a mall. A Starbucks in the lobby and best of all its a non smoking property. I will be returning and recommending this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

When I learned that this was the hotel for a very prestigious conference I was attending, I admit that I was highly skeptical. Yes, highly. What was this Florida Hotel and Conference Center that I had never heard of?

But then the taxi turned into the complex. What? Is that a mall it's connected to? A mall with a Nordstrom's? This can't be true. Nonetheless, I maintained my NYC poker face. Something's wrong, I know. Wait for it...

But from the moment the valet opened my taxi door, greeted me and retrieved my luggage from the trunk without trying to "deliver it to my room", I was hooked. And it only got better from there. The front desk personnel were attentive and quick. They were actually kind of dazzling because I couldn't keep up with their attentiveness and energy as I went through the less than 5-minute check-in.

The room was lovely, clean and modest, but oh so comfortable with touches of luxe (and E! TV). Probably what stood out most for me, was the glass sound walls around the elevator. Having stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world -- and I know this may be a little thing for many people -- but this was the first hotel I've stayed in that was thoughtful enough to shelter the sound of the elevator for those who had rooms near the elevator -- where my room was located.

However, in the spirit of transparency, let me tell you about their conference capabilities. The AV system was lacking with embarrassing delays for a couple of presentations as the system was "paralyzed" by Prezi and any embedded videos. And while the food was wonderful, with delightful salads, main entrees and desserts that, surprisingly, didn't taste like the refrigerator, the coffee was tepid and, oh, not so good. But in the bigger scheme of things, I didn't spend the majority of my time steeped in these experiences.

I had great room service and detailed attention and greetings at every step I made. And this is the place where you do need to "exit through the gift shop" -- the spot where I received the most focused attention. Look, I can go on and on about the staff -- that totally exemplify hospitality -- but let me just say that this hotel exceeded my expectations and this will be my hotel of choice the next time I visit Orlando.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Saint Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is my 4th visit to the Florida Hotel and they never disappoint. The rooms are very clean and well laid out. It's very quiet so I always get a good nights sleep. The hallways and elevators are climate controlled just right. I mention this as I have been in motels where the hallways and elevators are stuffy with no ventilation. The exercise room is well stocked and clean as is the pool. The staff is very professional and friendly, always willing to help. And you're in a mall! What more can you ask!? It's a little out of the way for us when coming to town to see family but we like it here so much better than other motels closer.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed there for 4 days, and loved the stayed @ the Florida Hotel. The cleanlyness, the room & professionalism #1. Location was ideal right in the heart of a mall. Will definitely highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013