“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Shades of Green Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orlando
Shades of Green Hotel
1950 W. Magnolia Palm Dr., ** Military / DoD only ** (see Details tab on this page), Orlando, FL 32830-2789 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Honolulu, Hawaii
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I wanted to like this place, but got a real case of the blahs. There are some good features. Price (rooms, food, and amenities) is very reasonable. The rooms are quite large. It's nice to be around military folks who are like us - it's a very safe feeling place. The bus service is efficient and we never had a problem getting to the parks. The location is awesome. On the bad side, the rooms are dated-feeling and everything has a low-quality feel to it (like the Hale Koa). The A/C was freight-train loud and the housekeeping was spotty. The fitness center is the worst of all the Armed Forces vacation hotels. For comparison sake, this place feels like an old Ramada Inn. I know the military does a better job in Korea and Hawaii and Germany, why not in Orlando?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

966 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Morristown TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We just returned from a trip there, and it was great! We had the family suite that was large enough to sleep 8. The bed in the separate room was very comfortable, but the murphy bed was not comfortable at all. The sofa beds had great mattresses on them, though. I would highly reccommend this hotel to others. It is very close to the monorail system on Disney, and they have a shuttle that takes you to any park. The military discount to Disney is great, and now there is a great military rate to Universal. The military member gets 3 free days in any park at Universal.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the south wing, it is closer to the parking garage, and has a great view of the golf...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Weldon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We visited DisneyWorld in April of 2012. Hotel had some special prices at the moment and no other hotel could offer anything even close to the price of Shades of Green. The monorail was just a quick walk away and bus service was very convenient too. The rooms or hotel didn't have anything Disney themed (except a big Mickey in the lobby) but we had enough of that in the parks. We purchased the meal plan and kids liked eating at the hotel. We had very friendly staff. Thank you, Erica, for always being so friendly to my kids. I liked the fact that we had little fridge in the room since my two year old needed his milk.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
The Villages, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night as we attended the Wine & Food Festival. Our room was spacious & clean. Had a flat screen tv, fridge, nice outside sitting area for our room (first floor), enough lighting in our room, comfortable beds & pillows, & a ceiling fan. The bathroom was spacious too--double sinks with large counter top (that's important to me), lighted magnifying makeup mirror on wall, & plenty of plush towels. The hotel grounds are well kept. Looking forward to future stays as we now live in Florida.

• Stayed November 2012
Arlington, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

As others have said,the prices and amenities of Shades of Green can be beaten elsewhere- but not on Disney property itself. If you value being near the monorail, having access to early and late hours at the park, good bus service, covered parking, and security, this is the place for you. As far as walking , go look at the Polynesian. It's a lot farther from their outlying buildings to the lobby or your car.
I stayed at Shades the last week in October when there were lots of activities for children- trick or treating, face painting, a balloon man- Plus the children's buffet at breakfast and dinner.There was a pumpkin decorating contest in the lobby. Pumpkins were decorated by the various staff departments and the public voted for their favorites My sister who was visiting me, liked the pumpkins so much she came back another day and voted again..My room was clean; the towels new; and there was a small refrigerator. I pre-ordered my tickets for the parks and they were waiting for me at the desk when I arrived. I do wish they had real soap and shampoo and that the lighting in the bathroom was better.I really liked the breakfast buffet. I have stayed at this hotel many times and always felt safe and enjoyed it. As far as the cost, they often have specials including the breakfast buffet for less than the usual price of a room. The room charge also varies according to the service member's rank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Hotel: Our connecting rooms had views of the golf course. The 2012 military promotional tickets are an amazing deal and our fall package room rates were unbeatable. The mattress and pillows were not comfortable but the rooms are large enough to sleep a family of six. Lights were out in bathroom. The food is unexceptional but budget friendly. If you are the average family, you will find it to be a good value. If you have discriminating taste, you will want to eat elsewhere but bring extra money.

Transportation: Catch monorail from Polynesian 10 min walk from Shades of Green. You will spend a lot of time on bus or monorail so study most direct routes. If you use SOG bus be sure you know the schedule. I called the operator at SOG for the next pickup at Hollywood Studios and according to the operator; the bus was due any minute. I waited ½ hr. in the cold dark for the bus. Guest service should know the schedule but that’s SOG service. I used my IPhone to look up the bus schedule on the SOG website. Don’t bother; there is no schedule on SOG website? A simple PDF would be easy to post. In addition, the monthly calendar and a section on tips from guests would be good to post. FYI SOG

Disneyworld vs. Disneyland: If you are new to Disneyworld and familiar with Disneyland, you have to readjust your thinking. To say Shades of Green is in the Disney Park is a misnomer. The distance between parks is MILES! You have to think in terms of it being in the same city.Our two sons 25 & 29 prefer the nostalgia and layout of Disneyland, CA and the Disney hotels.

Summary: Overall, the average military family or retiree will find SOG to be a great value. If you are budget mined then, off-season is the best time to go for weather, low crowds and cost. If you are super cheap you could take the Polynesian bus from airport and 10 min walk to SOG. I found a car rental for less than the shuttle to and from the airport.I did not use Alamo at the hotel but rentalcars.com because it was cheaper. We stopped at a Wal-Mart on the way back to the airport that had TONS of Disney t-shirts and souvenirs for half the price. This may be a good stop for those with lots of kids on a budget.
If you have stayed at Disney hotels, you will be disappointed. Nobody does it better than Disney. My husband and I agree but would definitely come back to Shades of Green again-without the boys next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Never, ever again will I go near this place. First, the hotel itself is built like a Labyrinth, My room was so far from my car it was insane and no transport cart for your items. There was no fridge or microwave/fridge in the room...come on, even the cheapest motel out there has a microwave or a fridge in room. The room was so dated, carpet was gross, bathroom was yuck. This place just need to be renovated, like all the rooms need to be renovated if they are like mine; it just is not worth $98 or $5 for parking. I have stayed at Navy lodges and Air Force lodges and they are just wonderful. Army....welll, refer to above. I stayed here one night then checked into Holiday Inn Express where the amenities are far better and the room was cheap and exceptionally clean.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else where you can get free breakfast, internet, and parking. Disney is expensive enou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Been to Shades of Green Hotel? Share your experiences!