“A Good Choice if you value being on Disney Property” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shades of Green Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orlando
Shades of Green Hotel
You added Shades of Green Hotel to your Saves list
1950 W. Magnolia Palm Dr., ** Military / DoD only ** (see Details tab on this page), Orlando, FL 32830-2789 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Arlington, Texas
“A Good Choice if you value being on Disney Property”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

As others have said,the prices and amenities of Shades of Green can be beaten elsewhere- but not on Disney property itself. If you value being near the monorail, having access to early and late hours at the park, good bus service, covered parking, and security, this is the place for you. As far as walking , go look at the Polynesian. It's a lot farther from their outlying buildings to the lobby or your car.
I stayed at Shades the last week in October when there were lots of activities for children- trick or treating, face painting, a balloon man- Plus the children's buffet at breakfast and dinner.There was a pumpkin decorating contest in the lobby. Pumpkins were decorated by the various staff departments and the public voted for their favorites My sister who was visiting me, liked the pumpkins so much she came back another day and voted again..My room was clean; the towels new; and there was a small refrigerator. I pre-ordered my tickets for the parks and they were waiting for me at the desk when I arrived. I do wish they had real soap and shampoo and that the lighting in the bathroom was better.I really liked the breakfast buffet. I have stayed at this hotel many times and always felt safe and enjoyed it. As far as the cost, they often have specials including the breakfast buffet for less than the usual price of a room. The room charge also varies according to the service member's rank.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Hotel: Our connecting rooms had views of the golf course. The 2012 military promotional tickets are an amazing deal and our fall package room rates were unbeatable. The mattress and pillows were not comfortable but the rooms are large enough to sleep a family of six. Lights were out in bathroom. The food is unexceptional but budget friendly. If you are the average family, you will find it to be a good value. If you have discriminating taste, you will want to eat elsewhere but bring extra money.

Transportation: Catch monorail from Polynesian 10 min walk from Shades of Green. You will spend a lot of time on bus or monorail so study most direct routes. If you use SOG bus be sure you know the schedule. I called the operator at SOG for the next pickup at Hollywood Studios and according to the operator; the bus was due any minute. I waited ½ hr. in the cold dark for the bus. Guest service should know the schedule but that’s SOG service. I used my IPhone to look up the bus schedule on the SOG website. Don’t bother; there is no schedule on SOG website? A simple PDF would be easy to post. In addition, the monthly calendar and a section on tips from guests would be good to post. FYI SOG

Disneyworld vs. Disneyland: If you are new to Disneyworld and familiar with Disneyland, you have to readjust your thinking. To say Shades of Green is in the Disney Park is a misnomer. The distance between parks is MILES! You have to think in terms of it being in the same city.Our two sons 25 & 29 prefer the nostalgia and layout of Disneyland, CA and the Disney hotels.

Summary: Overall, the average military family or retiree will find SOG to be a great value. If you are budget mined then, off-season is the best time to go for weather, low crowds and cost. If you are super cheap you could take the Polynesian bus from airport and 10 min walk to SOG. I found a car rental for less than the shuttle to and from the airport.I did not use Alamo at the hotel but rentalcars.com because it was cheaper. We stopped at a Wal-Mart on the way back to the airport that had TONS of Disney t-shirts and souvenirs for half the price. This may be a good stop for those with lots of kids on a budget.
If you have stayed at Disney hotels, you will be disappointed. Nobody does it better than Disney. My husband and I agree but would definitely come back to Shades of Green again-without the boys next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
new york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

Never, ever again will I go near this place. First, the hotel itself is built like a Labyrinth, My room was so far from my car it was insane and no transport cart for your items. There was no fridge or microwave/fridge in the room...come on, even the cheapest motel out there has a microwave or a fridge in room. The room was so dated, carpet was gross, bathroom was yuck. This place just need to be renovated, like all the rooms need to be renovated if they are like mine; it just is not worth $98 or $5 for parking. I have stayed at Navy lodges and Air Force lodges and they are just wonderful. Army....welll, refer to above. I stayed here one night then checked into Holiday Inn Express where the amenities are far better and the room was cheap and exceptionally clean.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else where you can get free breakfast, internet, and parking. Disney is expensive enou...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

A military hotel/resort on Disney property - how fabulous! It is reasonably priced, convenient, has transport to attractions - just about everything you need for a visit. There is a shoppette sized BX but it is being expanded for Spring '13. If I had to critique anything, first, the decor - it looked more like a ski lodge - similar feel to Edelweiss in Garmisch. The decor sure isn't much of a complaint - but, my big complaint was the breakfast buffet - yuck. It had powdered eggs, runny grits, weak coffee. It sure wasn't worth the 12.95 we paid. BUT....there was a separate buffet for the little ones! THAT was wonderful. Thank you! We'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer edition - nice to be away from the bustle but it was a long walk to the actio...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This hotel definitely does not live up to the Disney standards. The room was outdated and the furniture damaged. The check-in and transport options were very confusing. I think our military members deserve the same high standards as the other properties. Also, signage to find the hotel on the Disney property was mostly non-existent until you are very close. Be sure to bring your smartphone map app.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is our third visit to Shades of Green. We have previously stayed in the older section which is near the pools. It's fine, just older and nearer the pools. We are not traveling with kids so this time we requested the newer section overlooking the golf course. Not much different -- just newer farther from pools, quieter and overlooking the golf course. We are retired military. Our home is about 90 minutes away so to visit Epcot's Food and Wine festival it's a good idea to stay the night. Great idea to stay here. I have paid full price to stay at Disney before. This is a good value. If you have the opportunity to stay here -- do it.

Room Tip: the newer section as we were not concerned about being close to the pool. overlooks the golf course...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Jacksonville, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

First of all I have stayed here at least 6 times, as I live in Florida. The hotel itself is clean, the grounds are very well maintained & I have only had an issue with service once. Which was with finding the bellman and getting help to my room when traveling by myself with 2 small boys. I really have only great things to say about this place. I always see incredible wildlife including native Florida birds, ducks, koi fish, & turkeys. They have improved entertainment for children adding an arcade, game room, more pools, & ice cream parlor in the last few years. There are 3 dining oppurtunities on site & a commissary. The restaurants are ok but a great value compared to many other disney properties. I always bring lots of snacks for the kids, drinks & adult beverages with me to the hotel, it pays off not to eat in the parks if you are on a budget. I like staying in the newer tower because of less noise and access to the parking garage. If you plan on utilizing the pool really often this is not your best option, you may want to stay in the tower closer to the pools. It is just as nice but a bigger hike to your car if you have one there & are using it.

Best times to visit: October - April (it's not scorching hot), during the week if possible. Staying in this hotel gives you access to Magic hours which only people can do if you are staying on Disney properties. I always take advantage of Majic hours, especially the early morning ones before the park opens. I have early risers though. We usually have a very little wait to get on rides during these hours & you can enjoy some of the shows or less crowded rides later.

Transportation: I have a vehicle with me and if you do to, drive yourself to Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios. You may have to pay for parking, but it is worth not dealing with changing buses or multiple bus stops especially if you have a stroller, which you are required to fold up on the bus. If you are heading to the other parks that are accessed by the monorail..... The 10 minute walk across the street to the Polyneasian to hop right onto the monorail is worth it, even at the end of the day when you are tired. It beats the crowds and lines at certain times of the day at the transportation center. Just keep in mind Disney spans over 47 miles, you will do a lot of walking & it takes time to get to places, but it is worth it once you see or watch your kids faces light up. I light up too.

Overall, I will always return here when it is available.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Shades of Green Hotel? Share your experiences!