“A Good Choice” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shades of Green Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Orlando
Shades of Green Hotel
Save Saved
You added Shades of Green Hotel to your Saves list
1950 W. Magnolia Palm Dr., ** Military / DoD only ** (see Details tab on this page), Orlando, FL 32830-2789 (Walt Disney World Resort)   |
Arlington, Texas
“A Good Choice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

Having stayed at Shades of Green numerous times, I always find this hotel to be a very good place to stay. This time the housekeeping staff seemed much improved. My room was very clean. I really liked the breakfast buffet. Besides the usual eggs, bacon, good pork sausage, they had other hot choices every day. Some were better than others but the regular food was very fresh, hot, and often replenished. The fresh fruit was good plus there were ample cold cuts,and omelots made to order. Each table had its own pot of coffee so there was no waiting for a refill. Considering the amount and ample choice of food, the price was a bargain. I also found the evening buffet to be good. The featured main dishes change from evening to evening; and like everyone else, I liked some better than others. So maybe some of the people who panned the food came on a night when the choices were not to their liking. The waitstaff was very good. Lest you think my tastes tend to lowbrow, I also ate at Chathams, the #1 rated restaurant in Orlando ( It lived up to its rating).
My one problem concerned the front desk. This is the second consecutive time I have had a problem with their honoring my reservation even though I brought along my confirmation. Last time, they inexplicably had totally cancelled my reservation; this time they didn't want to honor my rate and I was quoted 4 different rates I would be charged instead. However, the manager was very nice and all was fixed. The front desk could use better training. Another problem area I observed was the the desk for buying park tickets. I did not have a problem because I knew what I wanted but others before me did. The person manning the desk did not speak English well and had a thick accent. She appeared to have memorized her speech and if anyone asked a question, all she could do is repeat what she had said. I used the spa and would recommended their massage and facial but the beauty shop was a little under par. Probably because it was fairly new and small, it did not have the range of products one might expect.
On the whole I found the employees friendly and helpful. There are often on-line specials that bring the rate down. The location is excellent. I do recommend Shades of GReen even though you can find cheaper accomodations even on the Disney property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
Roy, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

After reading some of the reviews on trip advisor, we were a little skeptical. Rooms were huge, beds were comfortable. The ease of getting around the property was great. The AAFES store was a life saver, and had very reasonable prices. We had the salute package that was breakfast and dinner. The food was ok, but we were so hungry after Disney we didn't care. We had a little trouble getting extra pillows for my husband who had just had shoulder surgery. We were located right off the Mickey Mouse pool, it was a long ways from the front but we learned short cuts, and it wasn't a problem after all. Great price. We didn't use the internet at all, and parking was 5.00 a day and that wasn't an issue, as it was still cheaper than parking at Disney every day and the gas to get around the parks. Customer service could have been a little better, but over all surprised at the the good time we had.

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011 via mobile

I lost count on how many times we have stayed at SOG! This time we were staying for three nights and our room was located on the parking garage side.
Check in was ok because we happen to be checking in with a wedding party. It was bad timing.
Our room was the very first room after you stepped off the elevator. So we heard all the foot traffic.
The rooms are larger then a basic room at a Disney deluxe room. Two queen beds along with a pull out sofabed, table with 2 chairs, balcony, refrigerator, coffee maker, safe, iron board, separate vanity area with two sinks and bath tub! I really like how the SOG using the refillable soaps and shampoos, very green of them! I wish other resorts and hotels in Disney would follow this green way of living. Beds were comfortable and noise was not too bad.
We did have breakfast one morning, it had the basic breakfast stuff on it and you can not beat the price compared to Disney world.
Bus system worked fine for us. We also walked over to the Polynesian to catch the monorail to MK and took the bus back from AK once because we just missed the SOG bus and didnot want to wait an hour for the next bus. Taking the bus to the TTC was easy, but remember that you have to take the monorail to MK and Epcot. You can also catch the bus to AK and HS from the TTC (were the shades bus drops you off).
We did not use the pool on this trip or any other facilities at the SOG. We spent most of our time at the parks on this trip.
We did not renew our annual Disney pass this year, but when we do we will stay at SOG.

• Stayed February 2011
SAT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

This hotel is a really good value. Its not a premier property; its very dated and not maintained quite as well as it should be but its not shabby and it is very convenient to the Disney action.
We had to call maintenance three times in order to get the toilet fixed properly. The hotel is "green" ... to the extreme ... it is geared for families but some of the "green" touches are not family friendly such as having liquid soap dispensers in the shower/tub mounted at shoulder height - not conducive to bathing a toddler in the tub, or to using the tub at all.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the pool wing
Saint Mary's City, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

The room was excellent. Took us the first night to realize if the sliding glass door is even a tiny bit open or unlocked, the AC will not work. After that hiccup everything went smoothly.

The staff was excellent and very helpful. As with previous reviews, sometimes we waited for a bus. The walk to the Polynesian monorail is not too bad, but with a small child can be challenging. I read that they have a golf cart that can help you but we never figured that out.

We should have taken a day to just sit by the pool and relax. We spent four days running to the park and it would have been nice to spend a day enjoying the pool. The facilities were very nice. The resort advertises one adults only pool and one for kids. There is a nice game room for kids and the food is just as good as most of the restaurants in the park and the price is reasonable.

I read some previous reviews which complain about lack of smoking facilities. We did not see that. Staff indicated that smoking was permitted on the room terrace as long as the door was shut and there were plenty of smoking areas around the property.

Other guests we met were very nice and as with all through Disney, everyone was wonderful to our Granddaughter who loved being called Princess. Our trip was a pleasure and we will definitely come back.

Greg

Room Tip: Whole property very quiet.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Abingdon, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Shades of Green is my favorite resort at Disney World. It is just minutes from the monorail station (Ticket and Transportation Center) via resort shuttle and has a great location. It features excellent staff, a cozy and comfortable environment, and its affordable. For some reason, I felt more comfortable at this resort than the other ones I stayed at primarily because I felt I had a connection with all the other guests.

The best feature of this resort is the rooms. These rooms are huge compared to other Disney Resorts. I recently stayed at Disney’s Coronado Springs, and those rooms were tiny compared to the ones at Shades of Green. Although you are able to find similar sized rooms at the deluxe resorts, you sure won’t get the same, ridiculously low prices. You can literally spend 7 nights at Shades of Green and only pay what you would pay for 2 nights at a Deluxe or moderate resort.

I also really enjoyed the buffet. Although it’s not amazing food, it is quite good, mostly because of its convenience and all-you-can eat nature. Since it’s very hard to find a decent, affordable breakfast at the parks, this buffet is the way to go.

There is also an AAFES store which has cheap souvenirs, drinks, and food. This was truly a convenient amenity throughout my stay.

My only complaint is the buses. Although I am able to get to all the parks and even Downtown Disney, the bus stops are kind of out of the way and some don’t provide any cover. This is a small complaint, but when its pouring down raining or is very hot, this can get a little annoying. But other than that, it was fine.

Shades of Green is the possibly best value resort available at Walt Disney World.

Room Tip: Book your room one year in advance
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

We were fortunate enough that my brother is retired military and invited us to join them on their Disney Vacation. Shades of Green was amazing, such a nice hotel. Don’t listen to negative reviews, those people are nuts !

The hotel is not on the Monorail but the cost per night is well worth the little walk each morning. If you can, catch the Shady Shuttle. All you have to do is ask the Bellman, and they will take you for a ride right to the end of the driveway, and you have a short walk to the Polynesian resort where you can also swim, or dine, and catch a monorail . ( lowest rate on Polynesian was $380/nite) Most of the Parks you can catch a bus down below, just check the schedule so you don’t miss the one you want. It is posted in the lobby and the bus stop.

The rooms are huge, we stayed in # 395 and had no complaints. Plenty of room and nice flat screen TVs ! We brought a small Styrofoam cooler, used that to cool off drinks in the room. Fridge is great as well, we saved a ton of money by having breakfast in our room. We only ate once in the buffet for breakfast, great options, but we were more interested in getting to the parks early, so we only ate there on our off day.

Buffet restaurant was great for the money, only $12.99 for adults, $7.99 for kids and it was all you can eat. The theme changes each night, but you can always find good food to fill you up. Considering a large Pizza in Italy at Epcot costs $40, this is a much more economical option for dinner. We took breaks from the park each afternoon, came back to swim or nap and grabbed dinner at the hotel before we hit the parks again ! Buffet opened at 5:00 each day Evergreen’s was only open at night ( 5:00 pm) and did not have too many options, but it was fine for us, when we were in the mood for a hot dog, they had one ! There is a snack bar next to Evergreen’s for cool drinks and snacks during the day. Pretty good selection of prepared items.

I used the towels in the room to wrap my water bottles each day, they stayed cool all day long. I also found that water will freeze in the little freezer in the fridge, but it takes all night ! give it a try, we had cold water all day when it was in the mid 90's it really helped.

Military families are fortunate to have such a nice place on Disney property. Make the best of it, and just have fun. We did , and made our time memorable for everyone !

Room Tip: Pack your own water each day for the parks !
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Shades of Green Hotel? Share your experiences!