“"Suite" Deal!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #173 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
Atlanta, Georgia
“"Suite" Deal!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2009

We arrived at the hotel around 7pm and found that our room had already been given away. Worked out great as they gave us a suite instead! Our room was very nice, about the size of a medium sized one bedroom apartment with a small kitchen that included a full size refrigerator and a dishwasher.

Only thing I did not care for in our room was the shower. Most hotels have gone to the semicircle shower curtain rods that give you a little more elbow room in tiny hotel tubs, this one had not. It did have a retractable clothesline in the shower for wet clothes, something I have never seen in a hotel room before.

The TGI Fridays was nice to have onsite. All the servers we had were nice, breakfast buffet was good but a little steep on price, about $15 a person after a drink and tip.

It’s rare to find a hotel pool over 6 feet deep, this one had an 8’ deep end! No hot tub though but they did have a kiddy pool. Of the two times we visited the pool they only had towels available once, but the area did seem to be well kept. The pool is a little awkward to get to. They have signs prohibiting bare feet and wet bathing suits in the lobby area so when leaving the pool you have to walk down a hot outdoor walkway filled with noisy air conditioner units to go into a door next to the elevators.

The hotel provides free shuttle service to Universal and a few other area attractions however the morning we went to Universal Studios the shuttle was 45 minutes late. This is not the Hotel’s fault though as it seems to be contracted to another company. After waiting to ride over we realized we could have walked to the park so rather than wait for the shuttle in the evening we made the 20 minute walk back to the hotel from the park.

A couple small annoyances. No Wifi in the room, just a wired connection. Rather annoying when you have two people sharing a room that have laptops. Hotel also allows dogs and our neighbor’s barked all evening one night until its owner returned. Guess they didn’t get the memo about not leaving their dog unattended in the room!

Other than the few minor things I mentioned we had a great stay at this hotel and would likely stay again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

With the name I thought I couldn't go wrong, the photos seemed nice, boy was I mislead. I stayed for one week and hated every minute, worse part is that it rained every day so I was trapped inside more than I wanted. Was contemplating sleeping in the car.

Hotel lobby is nice but outside of that it is horrible and not the standard one would expect from a HI. Where do I start.? Elevator was out of service for the first 4-days (nice), hallway carpet is stainned and smells of mildew. My room was old an outdated, furniture was in bad repair, and the stainned carpet and mildew smell carries on into the room. The sink in the bathroom was disgusting and the floor was nasty...I wore my shoes in the bathroom as I afraid to catch something. Sheets on the bed were stainned, arghhhh, just thinking about it makes me gag.

Guest service was average, put me on hold for 15-minutes when I called down, I finally gave up and hung up. Total rip-off to use the phone in the room; 1/2 hour call cost me over $60 bucks, WTF!.

Never will I go back to this hotel!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Palm Beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Within walking distance to universal, no transportation to the other parks though. Hotel is clean, but rooms are dated. There is a TGI Fridays that is connected to the hotel which is very nice. Would stay here again, fair price for what it is.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
東京
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2009

It was the worst hotel I've ever stayed at and I'll tell you why.
- The air in the bedroom smelled like mildew. It was discusting.
-The bathroom tiles and shower curtain had mold spots all over and I found someone else's hair in the bathtab. I don't think the room was cleaned in a proper manner.
-Some of the lights in the room didn't work.
-Whenever I came back to the room, the glass door to the valcony was wide open, eventhough I remembered to lock it when I left the room.
-I got stuck in the elevator twice! The second time I was stock, I noticed that there was water leaking from the celing.
-The bed spread and the carpet in the room had some wet spots. Why???
-Back of the beds and the walls by the beds and desk were covered by black mold!
-The loudry service was horrible. They didn't hold the shirts and some of them came back with wrincles!!
-I forgot my glasses by accident, when I called the hotel from home, they told me they didn't find them. It's my fault that I forgot them and I didn't expect them to come back but
I am very sure that the cleaning person had taken them, but this incident made the memory of the trip to be even worse.

• Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
Bayside, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

I will start off by saying my boyfriend and I were specifically looking for a hotel that was close to universal studios/Universal Halloween Horror night w/o staying on a Universal grounds hotel. After many searches we found "Holiday Inn & suites Orlando Universal Studios" which was conveniently located across the street from the park [walking distance]. I will say that the hotel is NOT located on international drive, it is on Kirkman road which was ok for us since we were just there for universal. Check in time is 4:00 pm, when we arrived it was around 1:00 pm. The front desk lady was very kind and let us know our room was ready so they checked us in early..which we loved of course. When we got to our room it was on the 10th floor with a balcony [parking lot view/view of kirkman rd. lol]. I will say it looked clean minus the very tiny BLACK BUGS on the table. I am not picky however when it comes to 'bugs' in my room that will definitely turn me off. The bathroom was small w/ a few cracks here and there, but worked fine for us. The TGIF was VERY convenient we ate there several times including breakfast every morning [the buffet was nothing special, very limited selection/overpriced] The pool was nice to relax. We walked to the park everyday and every night for dinner/citywalk. It is very scenic however could get a little tiring after a long day at the park [though it beats renting a car]. The staff were all nice & the vendors at the hotel selling park tickets/halloween horror tickets were excellent. Overall the hotel is a little rundown but not bad for a Universal vacation. If your not looking for anything fancy/highend and need somewhere to sleep then you should def. stay here!

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
baton rouge, la
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Hotel is at the maingate of Universal Studios. We had a suite which gave us space to relax when we weren't at the park. You can walk, ride, or drive to the park from the hotel. The attached TGI-Fridays offers a very inexpensive breakfast buffet to fill you up for the days fun. You don't need to spend a lot of money on food at the park. Staff were very polite and accomodating. All-in-all we payed for 3 nights what it would have cost to stay 1 night in a hotel in the park. Loved it!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
ga.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

This hotel was the worst hotel i have ever stayed in. This hotel is 33 years old. The room and hallway smells really bad. There was mold in the bathroom, in the drawers, and on the celing. The water had a very bad smell. The customer service was poor we ask to be moved to another room when we ask she said this hotel is 33 years old what do you expect. We moved to another room that room was not even better then the one we had. Please do not stay in this hotel i have never seen a hotel so out of date and so nasty. The bed was also hard and it shake really bad and the sheets also had a bad smell. Please stay away from this hotel even though you are across the street from universal studios don't pick this one there are other hotel on that street that are nice. we could not get a room at another hotel because all the rooms were book. STAY AWAY PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!