“Big Group: Accommodated” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #178 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
JousterWife
“Big Group: Accommodated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We stayed for a convention being held at the Lowes Portofino, but didn't want to pay the $300/night price. Instead, we got a great advance rate here for a group of 14! I booked 2 rooms, a 2-bedroom suite and another 1 bedroom suite to accommodate us all comfortably. It had a full size fridge, no burners/stove, dishwasher, and microwave. There was tons of space in the "common" area and the bedrooms were a good size too!
The front desk allowed me to check in by 130p with a 4pm check-in, no problems. The front desk (Candace, I believe) was more than helpful with my checking in of my big group. The rooms were clean, but smelled of mildew (room 541 especially), but since we were all lived in at the time with luggage and things, I didn't bother to say anything.
Extra towels if needed, TGIFridays right attached (though kitchen closes by 11p), pool was nice (according to those in the group), the hallways/doors were in need of a touch-up, but everything else was updated and comfy.
Distance to Universal Studios: PRICELESS! You walk to the light, cut through the grass to the Portofino and take the boat! There's free parking at Holiday Inn! A cab would cost about $10 carload to go over there, but you can't beat the easy walk to the larger Universal hotel for the free shuttle boat to the park. It's a nice ride, too!

Room Tip: Away from elevator and this hotel is great to leave your car there and walk to Universal Studios by...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Howell, New Jersey, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

When we arrived , our room wasn't ready, check in not until 4:00. Had a difficult time trying to get someone to take the luggage and then again when we returned after heading to Universal Studios for the rest of the day. There is nobody on duty at the bell desk.
The room, however, was very clean, beds (2 full) were very comfortable with lots of awesome pillows.
Our biggest problem was with the shuttles to Universal Studios. They only run at park opening and closing, with no shuttles throughout the day. It's about a 20 minute walk, but with young kids, it feels like forever. Also, the older woman manning the information desk was quite rude and not very informative. She twice gave us the wrong information regarding the shuttle service.
All in all, we got a great value for our money, but would look into other options if we go again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Plano, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We enjoyed our stay in the hotel. Everything was good except ... my two necklaces were stolen from my luggage. I put them very inside of bag of the bag and zipped it. I contacted the hotel twice but they never called me back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Clifton Park,NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I booked this hotel from hotwire and got a fantastic rate. We had 2 doubles, but could easily have fit a cot in the room. Its quite spacious. The bathroom is alittle small,but it worked out ok . The 1st day they did not provide enough towels,but the front desk took note and it was not a problem after that. The best part is the location and options you have as far as transportation. Its about a 10 minute walk to Universal,but you can also book the shuttle the day before. We booked for the morning,but since the shuttles don't start returning until the evening, we were able to walk back. I think it would be a rough walk with little kids unless you were pushing them in a stroller,especially after a long day in the park.We did the same with Wet and Wild,but took the ITrolly back,for $1.25.It drops you off right in front the hotel.So you have the option to walk,shuttle and the ITrolley. Having Fridays attached to the hotel was convenient for late night bite to eat. The pool looked nice,but we did not take advantage of it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Moncks Corner, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

My husband and I arrived at the hotel at 1:30 and we were able to check in early with no problems at all even though check-in was not until 4:00. We booked a standard king room and we were ungraded to a king suite which we really enjoyed. The room was a good size and I enjoyed have the microwave and mini-fridge. The bed was very comfortable and I also enjoyed the large work desk since I had to work on a school assignment on my vacation... Booooo. We also enjoyed the room service. We didnt realize they stop serving room service at 11:00 PM and we called at 10:50 to order. The young lady I spoke with was very friendly and although I am sure she was ready to go she did not seem aggrivated at all that we called so late.

There were a couple of things that bothered me. We were put in a room with an adjoining door, which is usally fine, but the second night there was a family in the room next to us and their children kept trying to open the adjoining door throughout the night. As soon as I would get comfortable the door handle with jiggle and I'd tense up wondering if it was going to open this time. Also the family next door was up until 2 in the morning since songs together and yelling. I didnt get much sleep the second night. Another negative is the temperature of the elevators, very sticky and hot.

The location of the hotel was great for visits to Universal Studios, you could watch the fireworks from your window at night. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Unless you need it, request a room without adjoining doors, also request a room away from the elevat...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a suite, which was nice, full size refridgerator was nice. 10 minute walk to Universal was awesome as we went to the mini-golf there. Staff was friendly, except I went to ask questions about how to get to Universal and got stuck listening to a sales pitch about the new Holiday inn vacation package, which was annoying. The hotel has a nice pool area, but like most hotels, it closes at 10PM. If you are going to Universal, and have a larger family, these suites are perfect for you. Also, there is a TGI Friday's attached to the hotel and you can get vouchers for free breakfast.
My funny from this stay, we were going to Universal and there was a protest going on and one guy would say, "What do we want?" and everyone would yell "justice", but it was very hard to understand. After listening for a while my 13 year old turned to me and said, "why do they want taxes?" Then my 4 year old said, "No, they want drumsticks." That made me laugh.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
El Paso
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this Holiday Inn while attending a Youth Ministers' convention across the street at the DoubleTree hotel. The rates and free parking at this location were the deciding factors for choosing this hotel. However, upon arrival, I immediately knew I had chosen wisely. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpfull while the facilities and room were clean, cozy and overall pleasant. The TGIFriday located downstairs was very convenient and food quality was as expected for a TGIF. The convention across the street was only a four minute walk. We even went to Universal Studios via the shuttle - walking to the front gate from here is not recommned, as it is about a mile away and with all of the walking while in the park, well. I will definitely come again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn & Suites Across from Universal Orlando? Share your experiences!