“Very Nice; Awesome Desk Staff; HORRIBLE housekeeping” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #186 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Very Nice; Awesome Desk Staff; HORRIBLE housekeeping”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

I stayed in this hotel in April for a short vacation. The front desk staff is amazing. They took the time to explain the property's features, and gave me directions to my room. (this hotel is BIG!!). BIG smiles, and warm welcomes throughout the stay.

I was upgraded to a junior suite. The room was quite nice. My only complaint is that hotel has external corridors (not a big deal) but the elevator was filthy and rickety. I opted to take the steps after my first ride in it. very scary elevator.

The room was great, overlooking the pool, and it was clean upon arrival. The only real complaint was that the big giant hotel room had a single trash can, in the bathroom. Like I said, not a big deal, but a pain in the butt.

The breakfast was great, and the staff was very nice as well. Great selection of food (buffet), and a nice menu. The buffet was always well stocked.

The pool area was a great place to relax, and get some sun. I was always able to get a chair, and towels were always stocked.

My only real issue was with the housekeeping. I do not mean the quality of the work, I mean the attitude of the people executing the work. They could not have been more rude. Do not disturb sign? too bad. They are knocking and trying to come in anyway. I was standing in a towel, in the door, and had to convince her that I was leaving in 20 minutes, and she could come in there. I could hear here waiting outside in the walkway, so to a man walking past "I'm just waiting for this *person* to leave. He says he is going to be 20 minutes".

I know you want to get all your work done, but good lord.. I can HEAR you talking about me!

Late check out? forget it. They are waking you up anyway.

Do not disturb sign is out...

**bang bang bang**

Me: "COME BACK LATER PLEASE"

Housekeeper: "Your checking out today"

Me - from bed - " I KNOW..... LATER"

Housekeeper: - "WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO BE OUT?"

Me - "LATER - I HAVE A LATE CHECK OUT"

Housekeeper - "No one told me"

Me (actually going to the door now) - "please radio the front desk. I swear to you I have a late check out".

Housekeeper - "What time are you going to leave?"

Me - "20 minutes"

So much for sleeping in on my last day of vacation. I felt so badly that I was ruining her daily timeline, that I just packed up and left. Such a shame because otherwise this hotel was great.

Sad how one experience can ruin your opinion of a hotel.

Otherwise, I think this hotel is a great property.

Room Tip: This hotel is big, so driving to the building you are in is important, so do not use the valet parki...
Green Features: I was not aware this hotel had any environmentally friendly practice other than the standard "Hang your towels up" program.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Dear Traveling_Club,

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate both the positive comments as well as those that are constructive. I am disappointed to hear the behavior of our housekeeping staff. This is not typical of this staff and I would really like to follow up to make sure it does not happen again. If you would email me mark.politte@sheratonlbv.com or call me 407-239-1144 I would like to know your dates of stay and room number to properly address this.

Mark Politte

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

Spent 7 nights at the resort. We were on the 6th floor of Building 3 facing the car park which was nice and quiet. We had two King beds which suited two adults and two children (both 8 years old). The bed was very comfortable. The room was nice and it had what we needed. The reception staff was very pleasant. Liz was absolutely wonderful and a great asset to the resort. She is friendly and very helpful.

We had breakfast every morning in the dining area (known as Zest Restaurant) and Brenda is also another great asset to the resort her friendly manner was so inviting she treated you like you were family to her. Always said hello and asking how our stay is going and what our plans for the day were. She always filled your glass with juice and always checked if we needed anything. The rest of the staff were great ensuing that the tables were always cleared after people left and also the food was constantly stocked up.

Had dinner three times at the resort twice at Zest Restaurant and once we ordered room service as we were packing our bags to leave the next day. The meals were delicious; the kids meals were great there was spaghetti Bolognese as well as burgers. Crystal who was our waitress was very polite and did a great job as our host, she was very attentive.

The 27 Palms outside by the pool area was a great way to grab a drink without having to move too far from your sun lounge. The pools were great I just wished there was a life guard monitoring as there were kids being unruly and no one controlling it.

I had a manicure and pedicure from the day spa located on the 6th floor of building 1 the day i arrived. After spending three weeks in thermals and coats it was nice to have a pedicure and manicure to feel feminine again. Terry who runs the spa had told me that there was no availability the day i arrived due to staff being sick but he did say to call back in another hour to see if he can source someone from another hotel which he did and the spa experience was great. A big thankyou to Terry for organising that for me.

There were two things I wasn’t happy with:
1. The $20 a day charge for car parking and Wi-Fi. I would have thought that would have all been included in the price.
2. The Disney World tourist desk at the front of the hotel tried to sell cheaper tickets providing you attend a welcome meeting which I thought was cheeky as I just wanted to go to Disney World so we ended up getting our tickets directly from Disney World instead. They were a little bit more expensive but at least I didn’t have to go to a welcome meeting.

Overall very pleasant stay I thoroughly enjoyed it and the whole atmosphere was great, very family friendly, my kids had a great time in the pool. I would stay there again but the room will need to be cheaper if they are going to have charge extra for the car parking and Wi-Fi.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the carpark they are alot more quieter
Green Features: You could put a sign on your door stating that you didnt want your room cleaned. There was a $5 voucher left under your door if you chose not too which can go to meals and drinks purchased at the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear BeautyandBeast6,.

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Orlando. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly share your comments with the team and we will utilize to improve our services.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

I must admit after reading the negative reviews about this hotel, I was a bit scared, but after staying here I found the negative reviews to be overstated. Yes, the property is older, but the amenities and the helpfulness of the staff make up for it.
After booking a room, I called the hotel to see if they could do anything special for my wife and I since we were going to Orlando for our Honeymoon. A HUGE THANK YOU to Elizabeth for making our stay here a special one. She upgraded our room and also had some special surprises waiting for us in our room on the day of our check in. The Special surprises were a wonderful and much appreciated touch to the room. The 2 pools were great. During our stay the pools were not packed and provided much needed relaxation after a day of walking WDW. They had plenty of lounge chairs around the pools and always restocked the pool towels. The room we got had a great view of the pools area. The beds were comfortable. Our room was cleaned daily and we never found any uncleaned areas. My wife and I loved the location of the hotel. There were plenty of restaurant choices around and also a Walgreen's, all within walking distance.
The Buffet breakfast had the basics, but was suitable for a quick bite before heading to WDW. Each day featured french toast, pancakes, breakfast potatos, sausage/bacon, scrambled eggs and scrambled eggs with veggies. They also had a cold breakfast entrees like fruit, yogurt, cereal, etc. etc. Wait service at the breakfast area could have been quicker. On a few occassions we waited a few minutes for a waiter to come to our table after being seated. The minutes do count when your trying to catch a pre-scheduled bus/transport to WDW...
The transportation to WDW was what attracted us to this hotel. The routes should be updated to allow for more daily to/from choices to specific parks... some parks only had 1 or 2 to/from time choices while others had 3 or 4. also, I didnt really like the fact that on 2 occassions the transport was close to full when it got to the hotel... We had to wait for a back up bus. A dedicated bus from the hotel to WDW would have been great.
The Lobby is refurbished and it looks great. The renovated room decor also gives the room a very updated/modern/fresh look. . Like many other reviews state, the elevators are older. seeing that we were only in the elevator a minute, its not something to be overly critical about.
One suggestion I have is for the hotels "Taxi" service to update/upgrade their technology. The "taxi" service is more of a transport company then a true taxi. Their vehicles didnt have a integrated payment system within the vehicles as a normal taxi would. When the "taxi" dropped us off the airport, his only way to take a payment for the ride was via mobile credit card reader and smartphone app. Just our luck, the drivers smartphone had no network connection and he seemed uncomfortable trying figure out the connection problem and work the mobile credit card reader device. Because of this we were close to missing our flight time. He finally had to call someone else at his company and had the person on the phone charge the card on their end.
We also enjoyed the ability the purchase our WDW admission card on the hotels site. This was a timesaver once we got to the parks. (we didnt have to wait in line at the actual park to purchase tickets, we just walked right in) the person selling us the card was helpful and gave us all the park information. Be sure to download the Disney app to schedule your fastpasses and check attraction wait times. There is a timeshare sales pitch as your buying the WDW admission, a firm "no, not interested" halts the pitch.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JJM214,

Thank you for your comments on your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate both the positive and constructive comments. Liz is wonderful and we receive a lot of great comments due to her efforts. Thanks for posting that. I will certainly review your other comments with the team and we will utilize to improve.

If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here recently and really enjoyed our time at the Sheraton. It is quite near Disney World and there is a nice Olive Garden across the road.
The staff tried very hard to entertain the kids, with games around the pool.
Also there is a slide and volleyball / basketball in the shallow pool. I very nice place to stay in Orlando.

• Stayed April 2014
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Raphhay,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. Thank you and if ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Winnipeg, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Just checked in and I agree with much of what I read below. They have done a lot of renovation to the lobby and tried with some of the rooms, but to add new beds and a couple of chairs, but then leave the 80's wooden and laminate cabinetry, just doesn't cut it with this brand name. The lobby is new and fresh, but as we arrived just after a heavy rain, the floors and some fixtures were covered with piles of towels to soak up the rain which came in from"somewhere".

The hotel itself is like an old motel model, with outside entrances to the rooms and antiquated outside elevators. There is lots of air space under the doors for insects to crawl in and having the window open onto an outside walkway is not comforting.

So far the staff have been great. They did drop $10 off the resort fee as we are SPG gold members, but having said that, the resort fee is ridiculous in any case. There is free parking all around in other hotels, the internet is free all around at other hotels, and the pool is just as nice all around. They should just price their rooms accordingly and forget the marketing tricks...I.e "resort fee".

The pool area is quite nice with a slide for kids, but without any pool supervisors in sight, it can be quite scary for little kids, when the older ones run rampant.

Our Jr. Suite is roomy, with new beds and a fairly fresh carpet. There is a very narrow 2- person balcony. The patio door is very old and flimsy and looks like it might have been "jimmied" at some point. Glad we are on the 5th floor, I think! The room has an smell, that I can't quite identify. Think of stale fried chicken masked with Fabreeze.

The bathroom is tight, but reasonably clean, with new tiled floor, but old tub and toilet. The vanity is out in a walkthrough between the bedroom and the seating area. It is large and well lit.

The location is good, and if you just want a spot to drop each night after touring the parks, this will work. If you are expecting a true Sheraton experience, book elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The hotel itself is obviously refurbished and for the most part they have done a great job updating it. We were fortunate enough to stay on the main building which in my opinion is the best area. We did laundry once and that particular building needs a little bit more improvement in my opinion. The elevators were quite old and i felt bad for the units in the same floor as the laundry area. I can only imagine that they can hear the machines going as it was quite noisy and there were no doors to it.

The pools were very good. I love the movies playing at night. The walks are quite thin as we can here either the one above or right next to us. Customer service for the most part was good with the exception of one lady on the front desk, I always wonder why people work in the service industry if they are not a people person. She was rather rude and unattentive.

I dont think we'll stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: ask for a room in the main building with a pool view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Dear Candy V.,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. If you would like to email directly regarding the interaction at the front desk I will certainly follow up. My email address is mark.politte@sheratonlbv.com. I will certainly share you comments with the team and we will utilize to improve.

Дублин, Ирландия
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Recommended, recommended, recommended!!!We've stayed in Sheraton for 4 nights, in march.Beautiful hotel!Brilliant team in hotel,who works really , really well!Great location!Very, very clean swimming pools!Lifeguards were always there.Room was very spacious and clean!We fell in love with this place.If we'll come back again, then we'll be definitely staying in Sheraton Lake Buena Vista!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Anywayanyday

Dear Irina G.m

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and decided to post it on Trip Advisor. We would love to have you back as our guest.

Mark Politte

Been to Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort? Share your experiences!