“Very disappointing stay.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #184 of 328 hotels in Orlando
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
“Very disappointing stay.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

My sons and I booked a 4 night stay at the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista so that we could go to Disney World before we had to go to a wedding later in the week. I picked the Sheraton based upon the recommendation of a family member that had previously stayed there for a conference. I liked the proximity to the parks and the fact that they run shuttles to Disney.

We checked in on Monday night and I immediately ran into issues with the room key. I couldn't get in the guest parking lot, that requires a room key, or our room. I went to the front desk and was basically blamed because I had put the key near my cell phone. Apparently the Sheraton's keys are extremely sensitive. Rather than offering some sort of empathy or apology the front desk person blamed me. Nice start. We finally got in our room and went to sleep around 10:30. My 8 year old sons were exhausted, as was I from a full day of school/work and the travel down from Pennsylvania.

At 5:45 the next morning I was awoken by trash trucks outside our window and the sound of eighteen wheelers going by. Apparently this hotel is on a major thoroughfare. I felt like I was sleeping on a highway. After showering and dressing we went down to the front desk to ask for a different room that was not along the front of the building facing the highway. I was told there wasn't anything available and there was nothing they could do to accomodate me. I asked about the shuttle schedule and was given a brief list of the times they pick-up and drop-off to Disney, which was very infrequent. I expected that the shuttle would run maybe once an hour, but that was not the case. I asked the front desk where I could buy Disney tickets and was told to go to the conceirge. Upon arriving at the conceirge there was no one there. I went back to the front desk and they said that the person working it must be running late. No offer to help in any additional way, no solution.

At that point I had enough and went to my room to book a room at one of the Disney resorts that we had stayed at previously. I was able to easily book a room, and promptly checked out of the Sheraton Lake Buena Vista 3 nights early. Best decision I made the entire trip. My advice to travelers with families, spent the extra $20 - $50 a night to stay at a Disney resort. It is far more convenient and relaxing. The shuttles run all the time. I never had to wait more than 4 minutes at any point anywhere. They give you bracelets that have everything you need on it including a working room key, your tickets, the ability to charge to your room, and your fast passes. And lastly, unlike the Sheraton, the people at Disney are so nice and willing to help. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: If you have to stay at this hotel ask for an inside room. The outside rooms are awfully noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Dear Keith M.

I am sorry to learn that you did not enjoy your stay. I wish I could have connected with you as I would have loved the opportunity to turn things around.

669 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Turkish first
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Good service, friendly, etc.

Location close to many restaurants, lots of options nearby.

The pool area is very nice. Excellent fitness center. Lobby bar was good.

The rooms are a touch dated but overall ok.

Many parts areas of the building however are very dated and need work.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Dear Iancelongthrust,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor posting. I appreciate your comments both positive and constructive. I will certainly share your comments with the team and we will utilize to improve.

Esterhazy, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We were changing hotels in the area this day, and were checking in early as we had a golf tee time booked for noon. Our room wasn't ready, but the front desk was very accommodating and the bell boys unloaded and stored our luggage for the day for us. Even keeping one of our bags refrigerated. The rooms have been renovated nicely, and were very comfortable and clean. The pool area is great, and staff let us hang out there for the day since our flight didn't leave until late evening. Very pleased, will stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Dear JDaku,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

We stayed at this hotel during March break. Prior to our visit, I reached out to the hotel to arrange for an accessible room and a second room to be located close by. I communicated on several occasions with Elizabeth, both by email and phone, and she took care of everything! She even assisted us with rented some equipment we needed to make our stay a little easier with our daughter.
The bellman out front were fantastic, very helpful and friendly. Assisting us with securing cabs or even just offering us water while we waited.
The only issue was the wireless internet. It was free - if you could get it. We were located on the first floor of building 1 and it seemed like that area was a black hole. We did not get internet the entire stay. We ended up going to the lobby to get internet. Each time I asked the front desk, I was told that they would ask the engineer to reset the router. Not once, did anyone follow up with us to let us know what was going on. It wasn't until the last day that we learnt there were issues in our area of the hotel. It would have been nice to know this in the first place.
The staff rebated the resort fee because of the internet issue which was very nice.

Room Tip: Inside rooms for sure - building 1 is right beside the road so it can be noisy. Also run the fan all...
Dear DAB8899,

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and decided to share it on Trip Advisor. We are in the process of upgrading our internet service and should have the upgrade done by the end of April. If ever you travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

We stayed here the from March 7th to the 11th. We were fully aware of the resort fee so that was not an issue for us. The room was nice and clean, the beds very comfortable. There are many restaurants around the area and you are a few minutes from Downtown Disney. One the second night we were there, I went to sleep around 11pm....soon after I heard in my sleep a woman talking and some beeping noice..when I opened my eyes and woke up I realized that the fire alarm was going off! Imagine being sound asleep and waking up to that at 12am! Had to run around the room waking up my two small kids and my husband, we were in a panic. As we walked out of the room, you could see everyone else coming out of their room as well, everyone panicked, no one from the hotel on the floor to say what was happening. Everyone scooted down the stairs and once on the first floor is when you saw employees escorting everyone out into the cold of the night (57 degrees)...the building's guests were led to the outside of their ballroom until the fire department and cops showed up. We saw another guest actually carrying his disabled brother trying to find someplace to put him down since they had to leave the wheelchair in their room. Not one of the staff members came to say what was happening or even help out this other guest. Once the fire department deamed it was safe to go back inside, all we were given were apologies and told to go back upstairs......do you think we were able to sleep all night long??? NOT. It turns out on the first floor of building 3, their is a laundry room. Obviosuly something happened, but we were never told what. I called the front desk the next morning to ask what the hotel was going to do to compensate for such a dreadful night...the girl who answered offered her apologise and explained that there was no danger but that she could take off the resort fee....i found this very insulting...While I understand that these things may happen, such a huge brand as Sheraton should have done more for their guests after the night debacle. I didn't want to argue with anyone since I was already in a bad mood from lack of sleep....the rest of the nights were spent trying to comfort my kids and explaining to them that nothing would happen....what a crappy vacation. Will notbe coming back to this brand of hotels....so dissapointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Dear MiamiGirly08,

I apologize that the fire alarm went off. The cause of the alarm was due to smoke from a motor that runs one the dryers in the laundry. During an alarm the system is designed so that an announcement is made notifying our guest. The announcement does say to exit the building via the stairwells. The design meets the requirements of the state and it appears that it did work. We do not send associates into the building as we care for their safety as well.

I am sorry that you feel the person at the front desk did not express enough concern. We certainly care about our reputation and our guest. If you would like to contact me directly I would be more then happy to speak with you. My email is mark.politte@sheratonlbv.com.
Sitges, Spain
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

I was kinda surprised to open the door on the wash basin. It looked like they'd remodeled the room with an entrance through the bathroom. I didn't like that but fortunately there was only me.
The room was lacking in power points to connect my multiple devices, and certainly nothing by the bed. The bed was comfortable enough (as you'd expect in this chain) but the pillows were horribly light and cheap.
The worst bit of all was the aircon unit that stuck out of the wall. Ugly and very noisy. While I'd managed to turn mine off by the complex control panel, my neighbor had his/her running 24/7. With paper thin walls between rooms, it didn't make for a comfortable stay.
I tried room service. My medium burger arrived an hour after I ordered it (they'd run out of pizzas two days running) and so it was fully cooked through to dry. Laundry was so much a service as a bring it down yourself, we don't have staff to collect it.
There was a coffee room but it didn't open until 7am missing out on the business guests leaving early for their Gaylord Palms convention.
This was 40% a Sheraton standard for 75% of the usual cost. I'll pick somewhere else next time.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear stevejnb,

The wash basin is outside of the restroom as many of our guest travel with family members so that more than one person can get ready at a time. I am sorry you found this not to your liking. We do have additional power outlets on the side of the night stands and desk. I am sorry if you did not see them, but we did add them during the renovation as we received feedback from our guest asking for them. If I can be of further service please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

We stayed at this resort March 8-12 and it could not have been better. The staff at the pool bar and restaurant were wonderful - especially Gary. The rooms were in good condition. I loved the food mart in the lobby. My husband brought me a great cup of Starbucks each day to get me going. The gym had everything you would need and more. The location for Disney was great and the staff at the ticket desk were very helpful. Great hotel, great service and location!!!!!

Dear Arianne,

I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for posting it. If ever your travels take you back to Orlando we would love to be of service to you again.

Mark Politte

Been to Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort? Share your experiences!