“Pleasant Surprise” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #196 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
Guam, Mariana Islands
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

Based on the reviews, I was a little hesitant, but I had to visit Orlando for an unexpected funeral and didn't want to spend a lot of money. As a Platinum SPG number, I was able to use my points to pay for my stay. It only cost 3,000 points per night!

Upon checking in, the night auditor didn't really greet me or explain the layout of the hotel, but thankfully one of the valets stepped in and made it right. As many have stated, self-parking is $10 per night. I usually had to park a little far from my room, but I usually arrived at the hotel after 11:00 in the evening.

The room was HUGE. There was a separate living room with a table for two, a pullout couch, large flat-screen TV with lots of channels, two unique coffee tables, a pretty dresser/TV stand with a mini-fridge hidden behind its door, a desk with lots of easy to access outlets. On top of the desk was a pretty desk lamp and a coffee maker with Starbucks coffee. Everyday I received two complimentary bottles of water. The living room was also nicely decorated with pretty Florida-themed decor. The living room featured its own separate digital thermostat which could be adjusted in half degree increments.

The sink was well lit, had plenty of room (there were extra towels and room under the vanity) stocked with shampoo, conditioner, body gel, bar soap, and a body pouf, and located outside the restroom so people could brush their teeth while others shower. The restroom was HUGE. The shower featured two shelves which was nice for storage.

The bedroom also featured an additional flat screen TV on top of another dresser. The bed was divine. Super soft king-size bed with lots of soft sheets and down blankets. There was a separate digital thermostat in the bedroom and a balcony with two chairs and a table overlooking the pools!

Outside there was an enclosed twisting, tube slide that spilled out into a 6-foot deep pool. There were two hot tubs and another more shallow pool for younger kids. This pool had a volleyball net, basketball hoops, and fountains to play in. There was a bar by the pool near the beach towel checkout area.

Overall, very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room located away from elevators.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Turkish first
Mobile, AL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and I am trying to decide whether to book for our trip in July. The last time was months ago, during the huge renovation and we attributed many of the problems to that. BUT...it doesn't sound as if things are much better now. The parking lot was torn up and cluttered w/ construction vehicles...but I don't think we were charged. That fee is NOT good. Someone made a comment about trying to take a nap and we experienced that SAME inconvenience! They INSISTED on playing loud Miami Club type music all thru the day until 10pm at nite and it was awful! You could NOT escape it! There was no peace at the pool area where it was blaring and you couldn't even get away from it in your room w/ all the doors closed. It is very annoying yet they acted as if I was the strange one! That one thing makes me not want to stay at this property again and it sounds as if it is still a problem.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Hello and thank you for reviewing your past stay at the hotel. We have completed the renovations since your last stay in January, and now have all guest areas up and running! The pool does play music during the day, but we are careful to listen to guest's preferences when it comes to volume levels. Our front desk staff is very knowledgeable and would be able to assign you a quieter room at check-in per your request. Please do not hesitate to mention your concerns to Lisa Bohanan, our Front Office Manager. She can be reached at lisa.bohanan@sheratonlbv.com or directly by telephone at 407-550-1023. She will be able to take care of you and ensure you do not have this problem again. We hope to see you back here soon!
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I was "lucky" enough to be given this hotel on P-line name your own price bid. I was very unhappy when I checked Tripadvisor and saw everyone complaining about the $10/night parking and $10/night resort fees. And rightfully so. SHAME on this hotel for charging these fees!! I know about their recent $26 million renovation and all that (bully for you, hotel!) but it's ridiculous that they should be trying to recoup their investment by hosing their (often unsuspecting) guests with fees on top of regular rates. Heck, pick ONE of the two fees instead of being greedy with TWO "separate" fees. It just left a very bad taste in my mouth in what would have otherwise been a level five review from me.

I wish I could them a rating of 3.5 rather than 3 or 4 because overall this is a pretty nice hotel and I enjoyed my stay. I keep changing my rating back and forth as I write this because neither 3 or 4 seems right. Everyone from the front desk to housekeeping was quite friendly. Housekeeping had a microwave in my room within 15 minutes of my asking, which impressed me. The beds were very, very comfortable and the room seemed quite clean.

Some tips for other guests staying at this resort:

To get to Disney Parks: Ignore the pretty, inviting "Welcome to Disney" sign across from Crossroads and keep going the 1/8 of of a mile up the road to the I-4 West on-ramp (towards Tampa). If you get on I-4 there instead of turning at the 535 "Disney" sign at Crossroads you will save a lot of traffic and lights and most importantly, time. When you get on I-4 you don't even have to change lanes. You can just stay in the lane you enter on and take the first exit right there and you're on Disney's "highway" (i.e. no stops, lights, etc.). If you're going to Animal Kingdom or Hollywood Studios take the "Epcot Resorts exit", otherwise, follow the signs for Epcot or Magic Kingdom (but be careful with MK - there is a sudden left and then a right and it's easy to miss it, so watch the signs), but taking the I-4 on-ramp will save you at least 10 minutes of lights and traffic through other hotels and Downtown Disney traveling to the parks in the mornings if you took the "Welcome to Disney" sign entrance right on 535.

To Sea World - It's even easier traveling to Sea World/Discovery Cove from this hotel than to most Disney Parks. All you do is make a left out of the parking lot onto 535, then take the immediate left onto Palm Parkway. Stay on Palm Parkway (which has almost no lights/signs) until you get the to the first traffic light (about three or four miles down) and make a right. This should be Central Florida Parkway. Stay on Central Florida parkway for about another mile or two and you can't miss Sea World and Discovery Cove. It takes less than 10 minutes to get there using this route as opposed to I-4 or some other way.

Pizza flyers - I'm sure most people know this already, but if you don't NEVER, EVER order from a pizza flyer slipped under your hotel door. The vast majority of them are credit card scams. Even if it is a real pizza place, it'll be awful pizza. I'm a local and if you want pizza while here I would highly recommend Flipper's Pizza, which is right in the crossroads plaza. Or there's a Pizza Hut right next door to the hotel. Resist the "convenience" of the flyer. I got at least two of these slipped under the door per day when I was staying here and they need to go right into the trash.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback on your stay at our resort. You have provided many good tips for our future guests to use. I apologize for your disappointment regarding fees, we try to make this information available prior to guest arrival. We do have a $9.95 resort fee which includes several amenities such as 2 complimentary bottles of water, wireless internet, resort activities, fitness center access, etc. This was a change we made from having a flat internet fee of $10.95 and we believe it is a good value. Parking is also a common fee associated with hotels in this area, but we keep pricing competitive.

We are very proud of our staff and their efforts to provide excellent service. We try our best to monitor the situation with pizza flyers, although it is a struggle in many hotels here in Orlando to completely eliminate their distribution. Our guest services staff is always happy to recommend restaurants in the area such as the ones you named. We hope to be at your service in the future, next time you are in need of a hotel in the area.
Pittsburgh PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night on 6/26/12. When we arrived we were disappointed that we would need to pay $10.00 just for parking. Parking was limited. When we arrived at the room the decor was reminiscent of the 60's (large orange patterned wall paper on the wall by the sink, etc...) I'm not sure if this was done on purpose or if the room is in need of renovation. The beds were comfortable though the room was very small. One complaint I had was in the bathroom, there were urine stains on the base of the door which was disgusting. Other than that the room seemed very clean. The staff at the main lobby was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at the resort. All opinions given are valuable to us as we use the information gained to improve the guest's experience in the future. Parking fees are common in this area of Orlando, and we offer a competitive if not lower rate when compared to nearby resorts. Our hotel has recently completed a $26 million dollar renovation which resulted in guest rooms being completely remodeled from floor to ceiling. We had a safari theme prior to renovation, and have moved in the direction of giving our resort a very Floridian South Beach feel. Our staff do all they can to provide a memorable guest experience and we hope we will have the chance to welcome you back next time you are in Orlando.
minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We were able to get early check in and I always enjoy the bedding at the Sheraton (cozy, white, and fluffy). The resort "activities" were minimal. Room on noisy street with view of the roof of the Pizza Hut. Used the shuttles to Disney a lot, a nice service but I wish it was more frequent. The renovations were good and the room was very clean. Really good deal with SPG points, so I would stay there again. Lots of restaurants within walking distance.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Hello and thank you for your review of our property based on your recent stay.
The Sheraton Sweet Sleeper beds and bedding are always a plus when staying at Sheraton properties! Our bedding and everything else in our guests rooms are brand new following the completion of our renovation earlier this year. I recommend requesting a pool view room if you would like to avoid facing the street in the future. We are always more than happy to switch your room during your stay as well. We hope you will choose us again next time you plan an Orlando vacation.
Durham, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We booked 2 rooms for 2 nights using SPG points and I feel that I got a wonderful deal and a pleasant surprise. When we first pulled in to the property, I was a little disheartened to see the parking lot and driveway, which were in bad shape. However, two valets came to our van to aid us with our luggage, and the lobby was nice, clean, and modern. The front desk staff was uber accommodating and very friendly and a somewhat complicated check-in (2 rooms next to each other) was a breeze for her. The knowledge of the concierge is a little lacking and the service with them is not crisp, probably because they seem to specialize in Vacation Ownership (by their nametags) and because there seems to be only 1-2 of them working at any given time. Because of my Starwood Gold status, I was able to have the Wi-Fi fee (part of the Resort Fee) waived ($9.95/day), We still paid for parking, which is overpriced and my major beef with the hotel. The pool area was top notch though it took a while to restock towels. The gift/sundry shop had limited selection and closed by 10 p.m., which is early considering how busy this place is for its size. The cleanliness and location of this property are ideal. The carpet in our room was surprisingly torn up, considering that the hotel underwent a recent refresh. However, the rest of the room was clean, modern, and large enough for 4 people per room. I would highly recommend this property if the price is right and will likely return to it again when in the area.

Room Tip: try to book with Starwood Points. Try to conserve energy and water by foregoing housekeeping to get...
Parkland, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

Pros: Location, location, Location... 2 min from Downtown Disney
Cons:
- if you even consider this hotel because of "stars" and price, the real one is around 1, you'll never get how they get this ratings. Price will never lie, you'll never book real 4 stars hotel for $100.
- nobody cares what is going on in this hotel; when was fire alarm @ 6AM, no one showed up to help and advise and never apologized
- Fees, you will be offered with two options self parking and valet ($10/$15), even parking is located 2 feet from the main entrance; breakfast $34 for two people and tips are included even we do not like it.
- breakfast was terrible; bacon was with oversalted!, coffee was horrrrrrible, omlet without salt at all and looked undercooked!
- main pool is closed and no one warned us about it
- building is close to the main road, if happens that you stay!!! in this hotel ask for the pool view
- old buildings and all looks outdated and without any care, elevator is like in $25 motel
- printer in the business center do not have ink
- one of the access card never worked at all and access to the parking lot was stupid
- AC was too noisy to sleep

Room Tip: pool view only or better look for another hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
SheratonLBVR, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2012
Hello and thank you for your feedback on our property. We appreciate all details that you provide as they inform us on how to improve the guest experience in the future. We recently completed a $26 million dollar renovation, essentially redesigning the hotel. This move has modernized our hotel greatly, although the structure itself does remain the same.

I am sorry to hear that breakfast was below expectations and recommend reporting any shortcomings regarding food quality to a server or manager during your meal. I suggest contacting our Food and Beverage Director, David McCaughey, in order to resolve your concerns. He can be reached by email, david.mccaughey@sheratonlbv.com, or phone at 407-239-0444 ext 1028. Guest satisfaction with our food and beverage outlets is of utmost importance to us, and we would like to discuss your experience further.

Been to Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort? Share your experiences!