“First class convention center” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Orlando

You added Hyatt Regency Orlando to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Orlando
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9801 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32803 (Formerly The Peabody Orlando)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Double Your Points
Ranked #38 of 327 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
Daytona Beach, Florida
“First class convention center”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The Peabody Orlando is a first class convention center. Comfortable, well appointed rooms. Good variety of restaurant options both in hotel and short walk away. Excellent conference facilities able to easily handle groups up to 7-8,000. Lots of restrooms!

Make sure to experience the march of the Peabody ducks. Each day at 11am four mallard ducks arrive on their private elevator from their penthouse apartment at the Peabody and process down a red carpet to their private fountain in the hotel atrium. At 5pm they exit the same way they arrived to great fanfare. Great fun for everyone!

The bottom line: The Peabody Orlando is a great place to attend a conference, or to use as a central hub for vacationing in Orlando. Many great restaurant options in easy walking distance from hotel. Disney about 15 minutes away. Universal and Seaworld 5 minutes away. Lots of other entertainment options in area. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear sailfishshooter:

Thank you for your recommendation of The Peabody Orlando. I am glad we had the opportunity to host your visit and that you enjoyed so much of our hotel, including our very memorable Duck March! For business or a local getaway, I hope to see you again soon.

Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The only reason to stay at the Peabody is for a conference, and that is if you are not paying for it.

THE GOOD

The hotel is clean and looks pretty. The guest room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The bathroom has plenty of space to move around in, good counter-space, and the shower head is modern with great pressure. The best thing about this hotel is there is a t.v. built into the mirror in the bathroom (which most Four Seasons or nice hotels do these days); the gym has a lot of equipment (but is only open till 9:30pm for some reason); and the pool is large and looks nice. I also appreciated the bathroom scale, and the space in the bathroom.

The staff at the bell stand, housekeeping, gym, room service, and restaurants were friendly and helpful. Especially housekeeping and the bell stand. Not impressed with the front desk or spa staff, who act as if they are doing you a favor, or the phone operators.

THE BAD

There is a reason that 80% of the comments mention the prices in the hotel, so take it to heart.
I have literally traveled all over the world and am used to all levels of hotel service from 3 to 5 stars, 4/5 diamonds, etc. I can honestly say I have never experienced the price gouging that goes on at the Peabody Orlando. $17.99 for a single disposable razor in the gift shop? $6 for a glass of orange juice the size of a teabag? I will not even discuss the room service prices, but if you order from them expect an average of $50 a person minimum for the most basic items.

Keeping in mind I was not on a budget so I was one of the lucky ones….the prices in the entire hotel are still not only ridiculous, they are insulting. Outside of a few cute ducks in the lobby, there is nothing, and I mean absolutely nothing, to distinguish this hotel from any other decent clean hotel in the area or the world.

For the prices, I expect a lot more. I.e.> Even cheaper hotels have small bottled water in the gym, not just a fountain, flat screen TV’s that swivel, a nice mini-bar already stocked, tea maker in room, thick not thin robes, slippers, etc. While they have items I expect in any higher end hotel (hair dryer, iPod radio,safe) they are missing all the main ticket items and smaller touches that might justify/explain their high price points.

I have no clue why this hotel is ranked so high, but I presume it is from people that do not travel a lot, are used to cheap hotels and easily impressed, or just thought the ducks were that cute. (and I admit they were adorable)

This would not be my first choice of hotels. I don't mind paying high prices, but then I expect to be impressed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear WorldTraveler38:

Thank you for your feedback, which is valuable to reinforce our commitment to providing a 4-Star, 4-Diamond experience. I am pleased to know that your encounters with our bell staff, room attendants, fitness center and room service staff were friendly and helpful experiences. But I am disappointed to read that your encounters with other areas of the hotel did not meet the quality service standards established for The Peabody Orlando.

I regret your disappointments but appreciate the opportunity to share your review with our management staff so that we may work to ensure every guest encounter reflects our commitment to Service Excellence. I hope you will consider The Peabody Orlando when traveling to the Orlando area in the future.

Lagos, Nigeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at the Peabody Orlando earlier this month while on vacation with my mother. The hotel impressed us from the start - from the staff who helped us with our bags to the reception personnel who checked us in.

Although we stayed in the most basic room type, I would still describe it as palatial. Our room was extremely spacious with 2 huge queen beds, which were very comfortable. Everything is in place to make for a memorable stay. We had a room on the 20th floor of the new tower and the view was incredible. Among the things we could see from our room was one of the hotel pools.

I went swimming one very cool morning and was delighted to discover that the pool was heated. The pool in the new tower is not the best for swimming laps due to its shape. So a pool assistant advised me to try out the pool in the older tower, which I did this and I would recommend this pool if you don't just want to splash around.

The Peabody is located on International Drive, which has a lot of restaurants and shops, including Pointe Orlando (a medium-sized shopping centre with mostly restaurants, a few shops and a cinema). The hotel is also fairly centrally-located from many of the major theme parks.

The hotel is huge and one could get lost there (we were confused on our first morning on how to find a restaurant for breakfast). However, the staff were warm and personable and the hotel had some interesting traditions, like the walking of the ducks, which we observed one morning.

The one but was the cost of the hotel food, which I found to be extremely expensive. This might or might not be a problem for some of the guests. However, if you would like to save some money on meals for tourist activities, you can check out restaurants in the neighbourhood.

Unlike many other hotel chains, there are only 3 Peabody hotels in the entire world: in Orlando, Memphis and Little Rock. The Peabody is a wonderful base from which to visit any of the Orlando theme parks. However, it is also an experience in itself and worth staying at for a getaway with your family or by yourself.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear awooof:
Thank you for selecting The Peabody Orlando for the vacation you enjoyed with your mother. I am very pleased to read about your stay experience, particularly, your interactions with our warm and personable staff. I appreciate your review and recommendation of our hotel and look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back should you plan another trip to Orlando.

Director of Rooms
The Peabody Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed 11/19 to 11/25 on the 17th floor overlooking the pool area. Room was clean, and most of our stay was relaxing. There were a few items that were not as good as last year's visit to this Peabody. We have stayed at several hotels in the area for the past several Thanksgiving weeks and switched to the Peabody last year because of a reputation for service. This year, I was disappointed that twice housekeeping walked into our room unexpectedly and once when the "do not disturb" placard was displayed. We spend each Thanksgiving in a cabana watching football and enjoying a pool, so first thing we booked our cabana with the pool staff and requested one of the two cabanas away from the kid splash area and were told that this would not be a problem. Thanksgiving morning we were shown to a different cabana directly in front of the splash zone, so my husband inquired and was told "guess someone had it before you" while the worker just walked away. We accepted this answer and still had a good day by the pool. However, one of the two cabanas that we requested was not even used that day, so I don't understand why our request was not honored. The pool staff brought us ice but never gave us cups for our beverages, so we ended up ordering from the pool bar in order to get cups. I sent an email through the "contact us" on the Peabody website so that I didn't upset a friend with whom we were sharing the cabana. That was on Thanksgiving, and I have not received any response from anyone. These experiences seemed to go against the level of service we had last year and that we had heard was the Peabody reputation.
We had wonderful service and food from room service, the diner, the pool bar, and the Capriccio Grill. Each time we needed a taxi, the valets were quick to bring one around, and the concierge kindly printed our boarding passes for our flight home. Also, we purchased attraction tickets from the desk at the Peabody and they were a little cheaper and saved us time in line. Overall, a good stay, but I am not sure if I will automatically choose the Peabody next year.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear J G:

I do appreciate your return business and hope we will be fortunate enough to host your annual trip to Orlando next year. I am pleased that you experienced a high level of service from our food and beverage areas along with our concierge. But I do regret that this same level of service was not enjoyed from our pool and housekeeping staff.

Please rest assured I will discuss your experiences with the management teams involved with your disappointment and will investigate the communication you mentioned that went unanswered during your stay with us. I look forward to the opportunity to regain your confidence in our abilities to exceed the standards of service established for The Peabody Orlando.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

So on the outside, it's a magnificent property, and very clean. That's the most important part, in my opinion. The housekeeping is wonderful, and there are no bad parts for that in review. The part where they need improvement is in service, and I'll go further as a master of customer service as my vocation requires me to be, it's the management. Cases in point: I called the front desk on TWO different occasions from Chicago to request the Mallard tower as I was there for a convention(I found that tip right here on Trip Advisor!!), the front desk accommodated me wonderfully, but twice the front desk rang for 20+ times and NO ONE picked up. Ok, that's the biggest no no of them all. What if I'm a tour guide, and I've got 70 rooms blocked and I can't get the front desk? I'm going somewhere else, plain and simple. There are too many competitive rates to worry about that. In the "twice" I mentioned, I also rang the front desk, it rang 15 times, picked up, then hung up. I called back. Exact same thing. Rang 10 times, picked up, then hung up. Now, I'm just a guy needing a room, but if this were a big account? See you later. The operator never did get through, she put me through to reservations where they helped me with my room request. Now, all of the people you talk to are great, but if they have persistent problems like this, it's not their fault. It's the boss' fault. The $10 an hour front desk worker can't make the phone system work, but the manager sure can. I blame them fully. Get it fixed guys. No telling how much business you lost with the not picking up/hanging up on consumers. Also, in the diner there: good food, bad service. The server was trying her best, too. It wasn't crowded, but she wasn't trained properly, although she was very nice. Again? Management. A proper training of staff and bus people would ensure consistent service throughout. There were ample staff, and not many diners. It was Thanksgiving night at 10pm. Not crowded. Hence, that is the core problem with the Peabody. Other than that? Great. I had an enjoyable stay, but a forewarning from this seasoned traveler may help you along the way!

Room Tip: Choose Mallard tower if your convention is in the East Hall, choose the new tower if your convention...
Dear jstem33:

Thank you, I value both your business and your feedback. Because there are so many choices for accommodations in our area, quality service is an essential part of earning loyalty and I thoroughly regret the experiences you describe during your stay.

I fully appreciate the opportunity to investigate these occurrences so that we may take steps to ensure we deliver the 4-Star, 4-Diamond service levels that have earned us our great reputation. When you travel back to Orlando, I hope that you will consider The Peabody Orlando as your host hotel.

Bangalore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Stayed here while attending a convention. Excellent facilities. Very good security, courteous staff.
Located on the Internatinal drive, not far from the airport and the shopping malls. good spacious rooms. Very good toilets.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor
Dear luckyikon:
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay at The Peabody Orlando. Thank you for your review and recognition of our courteous staff. I look forward to seeing you again.
Santa Claus, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed several evenings, and our second stay at the Peabody. Self parked in hotel garage which is not too far to walk, and you use hotel key to access garage. Parking fee is added to hotel bill. Hotel offers golf cart ride to garage if needed. Hotel is connected to Orange County Convention center which is nice and convenient, but quite a hike. Check in was uneventful, and clerk was very pleasant. Hotel is large and it's nice there are several elevators to eliminate waiting, or crowds. Our room was a king and seemed a little dated. Our bed was very worn; either had to sleep on the edge, or find place in middle that hadn't been broken down. The bath towels were thin and had to ask for more, along with asking for more soap. Several places of mold were forming in shower. Room was at the end of the hall and was very quiet. Cleaning staff was very friendly and willing to accommodate when asking for more supplies. There is a lovely and inviting pool area but have never used it. Haven't really seen many people use it. Ate breakfast at the hotel which was very good. Hotel has several restaurants and bars. Ate in one of the restaurants, Dux, and it was excellent. All in all, this is a very nice facility and the staff is wonderful. The only downside was the room. The duck walk is always wonderful to watch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Kathy K:

I appreciate your return business Kathy, along with your feedback. I am happy to know that your encounters with our staff were wonderful and that you enjoyed your dining experiences too.
I do regret the guest room situations you describe, but am grateful for the opportunity to follow up with my housekeeping management team on these concerns. I hope we have the chance to see you back at our hotel when you are in Orlando again.
Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Been to Hyatt Regency Orlando? Share your experiences!