“Great Location - Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Regency Orlando

You added Hyatt Regency Orlando to your Saves list
Hyatt Regency Orlando
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   9801 International Drive, Orlando, FL 32803 (Formerly The Peabody Orlando)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Stay 2 Nights, Save 10%
Ranked #35 of 326 Hotels in Orlando
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Great Location - Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Having stayed in Orlando on many occasions, I have never even considered the Peabody as it is a convention hotel. However, a last minute holiday meant that the usual hotels we stay in (Ritz Carlton/Hyatt Grand Cypress/Hilton) were all fully booked so we booked for four days at the Peabody. Although it is unquestionably a convention hotel (there were at least four going on while we were there) and you feel a bit funny crossing the lobby in shorts and a tee-shirt while everyone else is in a suit , the Peabody is in fact great for a family vacation. The fantastic pools areas are virtually empty for most of the day. The facilities are great (gorgeous fluffy pool towels) with a superb bar and fantastic poolside service from attentive and polite staff. Its position on International Drive is perfect - loads of restaurants, bars and smaller attractions (weird upside down science museum, mini golf etc) are within walking distance or a short ride on the I-Trolley which constantly runs up and down the road. The Napa restaurant is excellent and again the service impeccable with staff who know the menu inside and out and are efficient and friendly without being obtrusive. The B-line restaurant is perfect for kids and serves a great breakfast (enough to keep you going all day!) The room we had was just a standard but was huge and in great condition - I have stayed (and paid!) for suites that were smaller! Housekeeping is efficient and standards of cleanliness high. Two minor annoyances – I agree with other reviewers that the lack of a coffee making facility in the room is a real shame. They can’t need the revenue from the coffee shop that much! AND the concierges are hopeless! Like all the staff they are extremely polite and attentive but they know NOTHING! On the first two days, they were unable to tell me how far away the town of Kissemme St Cloud was (and apparently unable to check on one of the many computers in front of them); told me that Gatorland (a very popular attraction) was over 60 miles away and would cost over $80 in a taxi when in fact it was less than 10 miles away and cost $25; did not know whether the hotels own Italian restaurant, that had been closed the night before for a function would be open that night (in fact they did not know it had been closed at all!) and could not help when I asked about where to find tickets for the Blue Man Group show. It turns out that there is a separate desk in the hotel that does tickets/taxis/attractions etc but it did not occur to any of the concierges I spoke to tell me this! The good news is that the Bellhops know everything and happily answered all questions or if they did not were able to go away and find out! Overall, this is an excellent hotel, with great facilities and staff in a superb location. We will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Dear 712anon712:

I am so pleased that we had the opportunity to host your visit and appreciate your interest to stay with The Peabody Orlando again. Thank you for the ability to recognize our bell staff for the level of service they provided you, I am very proud of their dedication to serve our guests.

I was surprised to learn about your encounters with our concierge and value your feedback to have the opportunity to follow up and ensure that each concierge has the knowledge and tools to respond to our guest’s needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel when your travel plans bring you back to our area.

Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

Now, we travel around the world and can not remember a hotel without in room coffee makers. I understand that this is an additional source of revenue, but at these rates come on!

I want to awake, have coffee when I want and not have to get dressed and hike from my room to get my coffee. Although I don't agree, this is the norm Las Vegas. Does this torque anyone else off?

Manager indicated that it is due to health reasons. Really?

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Rick S:

Thank you for your review Rick. I assure you that your feedback is important to us as we continue to discuss product improvements. I appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns & look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel should your travel plans include Orlando.

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We weren't really sure what to expect from this hotel as it has such a large conference centre attached to it (for large read huge!), but we really did have a most pleasant surprise. Everything about this hotel is big, and as the room is the most important thing to us, the Executive King room we had was just that. The bed really did make the difference and was as comfortable as any of the top New York ones as were the bedding and pillows. Sleep was easy and we never had any unwanted noise.

The restaurants maybe a few dollars more than those elsewhere, but the service was spot on and food excellent. There are more bars than you could ever really want and it was fun to make my way through the different beers on the menu (in moderation of course).

The overall ambiance was akin to hotels in the Far East which on the whole are also roomy and well run. The climate in Florida also adds to the flavour.

Will certainly stay here again if we venture back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I was allocated to the Peabody as part of a meeting that took place at the Convention center on Interational Drive. I knew it was a good hotel, and in terms of quality, it is probably the best quality hotel that I have stayed in ever on International drive, but certainly the most expensive.
It is a huge operation with two tower blocks, and I estimated about 2000 rooms, but I am guessing and may be wildly wrong: anyway, it was a lot of rooms. The reception was efficient, but the moment I set place on the property, I felt I had entered gratuity land. I know this is more part of the culture in the U.S. than the UK, but as a guests comfort has to be uppermost in the mind of a hotel, then why disturb it. Similarly, I was immediately asked (not offered) if I wanted to upgrade. As I already had a good room, as a single traveler this did not make any sense to anyone except the hotel.
The rooms are excellent with a lot of space, two big beds and places to work. I found the lack of a coffee machine was a minus, but they are in the business of selling stuff to travellers. Everything in this hotel is extra, but they do tell you that shoe shine and internet and coffee from 5.30 to 8.30 are part of a compulsory supplement. I had a package arriving at the hotel, and they charged me $5 for handing to me. I told them that I wanted $10 for receiving it and another $20 for talking to them in a posh English accent, and they did not see the joke. I did not use the restaurants but walked to establishments on International drive charging a fraction of the price, but this was not the view of most of the guests. The bar was always full and there were lots of functions going on, so my view of the revenue flow is unique to me.
One important note is that for a 28 storey hotel, the lifts worked all the time and were rapid and functional. It is a huge hotel to negotiate, and you have to plan in advance if you want to leave as it can take up to ten minutes to get to the front door. If you are actually using the conference centre, allow up to 20 minutes to get there even though it is only across the road.
I did not use the car parking of which there is plenty, but I did use the outdoor swimming pool. This is a long possibly 50 yard pool in the recreation area. It is straight, so that serious swimmers can actually get some lengths in.
The minibar is empty, and the sign says 'feed me'. The television is a big flatscreen, but has the problem that they try to direct you to the pay per view items and it is a multistep process to actually watch television. As others have noted, nice touches are he motion sensor lights that come on at night in the room and bathroom, and the bathroom mirror with built in television.
The ducks are an institution and are a clear statement of what is important in America.
Check out time is interesting, as one finds that all kinds of taxes are added to the bill. Some of these are common like sales tax and occupancy tax, but an unexpected one was a tax for being in the proximity of the Orange County Conference Center. So I asked the checkout girl if you had to pay it if you did not use the conference centre, and she said you did. I told her that the British had once tried to tax the Americans for Tea, and look what happened there. She did not understand.
So my conclusion is a luxury hotel, but really for the convention attenders. Yes, it has holiday makers, but they should have a very good reason to pay the upmarket prices as there are better bargains on International drive, and the internal costs are high.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a good view of Epcot. I had a room in the Mallard tower with a view of a buildi...
Dear mgoldman666:

Thank you for review. I value your feedback and am happy to know that your guest room was comfortable.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

portland, or
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

OK, I always stay and mid and upper rnage hotels but I must admit, this really impressed me. Truly a feel of luxury mixed with an all inclusive resort. Some really cool things include the TVs built into the bathroom mirrors (Yes, shaving and football at the same time, cool!). There are 2 pool complexes, one for family, the other more for adults and exercise. Great and large workot facilites. Overall, just a great place to stay. The only downside I can imagine is understanding why you are in orlando. While you are within walking distance to Pointe Orlando with some ok restraunts there (movie theaters etc...), you still need to drive just about anywhere else. Now, I was there for a conference at the convention center so for that it was perfect (it connects via a covered skybridge), cant comment how I would have felt about the location if I were there purely for vacation
Other cool things include the parade of the ducks into the fountain everday

Room Tip: THe mallard tower is much closer to the convention center if that is why you are going
Dear Jgold10529:
Thank you for your review of The Peabody Orlando, I appreciate you sharing your stay experience with me and am pleased to know how you enjoyed your guest room amenities along with our recreational facilities. I hope you will consider our hotel when planning a leisure visit to Orlando, as we are centrally located to all the area attractions... or just far enough away from the crowds to relax here at the hotel. I hope to welcome you back soon.
franklin, ky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

As a hotel operator and owner I pay acute attention to details. The lobby was immaculately clean, I used the pool and I think there was some brown patch around the from where the water circulates the pool I may be wrong it may just be the color. But the water had too much chlorine that is for sure because my eyes were burning after using it. The hot tub is nice. The rooms are big and spacious everything was in working order and clean.

The reason I am giving such a high score to this hotel is because of 3 people.
# 1. Hajreta she works in housekeeping and she went out of her way to make sure my room was cleaned even though I told her not to worry about it. Then she made sure there was cold water in the refrigerator because she knew I went to the GYM everyday. Everyday she would smile and ask me how I was doing. That is some outstanding customer service right there.
#2. Hercules. To me he was doing the job of a GM or the Front Office manager. I asked him for directions to some of the places I had to go because I came for a conference. The first thing he told me was " I appreciate the fact that you chose to stay in this hotel from the 300 others to choose from" then he went about going to great lengths explaining me where each of the halls and other facilities were located. He even gave me a map of Orlando showing me where I could go for entertainment and supper.

I will give very low scores to the Front desk clerks they were borderline rude, no greetings no acknowledging to the guest that somebody will be with them or even looking at them while they waited. Just plain robots, it was not just one all of them were the same way. It is not the way you want to set a precedent to greet people coming to your hotel. Just a suggestion.

The concierge were very helpful and so was the staff at the fitness center. The fitness center has all modern and working equipments so if you are a fitness freak you will enjoy it.

If an opportunity presents itself I will come back just because I appreciate good service when I get it.

thanks

santosh xavier

Dear FRNKY:
Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I will enjoy recognizing Hajreta and Hercules along with our staff at concierge and fitness center for the service levels they provided you. I appreciate the opportunity to review your experience at the front desk with my management team to ensure our high standards are maintained. I value your business and am confident that our front desk will be eager to serve you when you return to The Peabody Orlando.

Grand Cayman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Very large and modern hotel. Room was great and very comfortable with motion sensor lighting, an ipod, and the tv in the bathroom mirror was a really cool and unique feature. From discussions with fellow participants all floors seem to provide a great view of the pools or surrounding area of Intl Drive. Great location just down from Sea World, Universal and lots of dining and entertainment options nearby. The i-ride trolley is accessible from right outside the hotel as well as the options of bicycle-taxis or cabs for the longer journeys like the Premium Outlets. Free local calls, water and trolley passes were included in the room rate so that was a plus. The daily march of the ducks at 11am and again at 5pm was another unique feature that adds to the character of the hotel and definitely worth a look. Staff were all very courteous and friendly and readily offered suggestions regarding things to do, dining or travel options. Didn't get to all the bars or restaurants at the hotel itself, but that just means something new to explore on my next visit.

Room Tip: Tower 2 is far closer to the conference facilities than the main tower (at least a 7 minute walk clo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
MarshallKelberman, Director of Rooms at Hyatt Regency Orlando, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear WillandNic:
I am very pleased to read that you will be back to explore more of our hotel. Thank you for your review and mention of our courteous and friendly staff, I enjoy hearing about these experiences. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Peabody Orlando.
Director of Rooms, The Peabody Orlando

Been to Hyatt Regency Orlando? Share your experiences!