“Americana treasure” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 hotels in Old Town
Bokeelia, Florida
“Americana treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

It was getting dark, and I had already ridden about 500 miles this day. I could have continued for another three hours and made it back to my own house, but I decided to turn my bike around, and go back a mile to where I had seen the neon sign for this neat looking motel, that for some reason was calling to me. As I entered the driveway, taking it all in it reminded me of the wonderful times many years ago, when my parents and I would take our spring trip to the Keys, and how some of my favorite parts of those trips were the charming roadside motels that were precursors for the excitement on the rest of the trip. The wonderful vintage sign proudly glowing, and the dimly lit room front stretches of motel room doors. The centrally located entrance area and lobby with the drive in covering. I was welcomed by a most kind lodge keeper, and told I could get a decent meal across the street. Taking his advice, and then returning to my room I had a very good rest in a classic family travel room, two bed, desk and chairs and TV, small refrigerator and a clean functioning bathroom. Vintage perhaps, but comfortable and exactly my expectations. In the morning, I decided to explore the grounds, and found many tropical fruit trees and very pretty exotic plantings. The actual river was so peaceful and calming, with the over hanging oaks and the spanish moss flowing above with the slight wind. The docks were in good shape, and walking on them felt like being off land. Not quite a boat feeling, but you knew you were on water.
There are cabins for families, and of course a boat ramp, and outdoor areas for grilling and yard games. A swimming pool in the front, that looked nice. I do feel this could be a stay for a few days all on it's own for those that enjoy nature and life along a river.
These motels are becoming rare, they were what our parents enjoyed years ago on the family vacation road trip. They are Americana treasures, and this is a very fine example , and should you have the option to experience it, or relive it, you should. The owners are very caring, and love the location, and it is good to get such personal service and friendly hosts.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

55 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

Review:
I am relaying here my first hand experience. The first and immediate impression was of the frontage with its manicured and cared for appearance. It propelled me to check the motel out. The second impression was the owners themselves - Warm, affable, personable and with the attitude, ingrained with unpretentious customer service. Just warm, beautiful people.
I got to see the various room combinations. The rooms themselves were clean, odor free with ample freshness. Peaceful, comfortable and well equipped. Not overly grandeur but definitely cozy and welcoming. Just what one would want when out on a vacation, a tour or a fleeting visit.
Besides, the motel has a sizeable swimming pool that is very well cared for. The real surprise element was the view at the rear of the motel. Completely unexpected! The rear area has a vast lawn where a host of activities can be performed and just beyond the grounds, there is the river Suwannee flowing right by the motel. The view is truly beautiful. The river itself is wide and long and you can see the river bank on the opposite side. Peaceful, green and lush with that calm soothing sound of the river flowing! The motel is also equipped with boating facility. I have been a repeat visitor to this homely motel that has some real treats in store. You want to enjoy and want to be treated right? This is definitely the place. I just love it.

Room Tip: I have lived in more than one type of room and have always had a uniformly, pleasant experience. The...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

The owner was very friendly and check in was quick and easy. The room is older but has everything you need- bring your own hairdryer or really just relax and don't bother. We enjoyed hanging down by the river. We saw otters on the shore and mullet jumping. We had friendly cats hanging around to keep us company and they were well cared for- no fleas and weren't skinny.
This is not a luxury inn, but it will give you a feel of old Florida. It would be great if they could update some things and maybe they would have more business.
The bar/restaurant across was nice, clean and friendly people working there. Caught the play off games. It was a good evening.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
dunnellon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

Didn't want to stay in Perry or Chiefland so decided to give it a try. Room was clean and everything worked well. I paid a little more than the others in the area, but it was worth it.
I will stay again. The owner thanked me for my business and I felt welcomed to stay there.
The motel is safe quiet and everything was working.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Midway, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2011

We needed a room for a night the weekend before Thanksgiving. I selected the Suwannee Gables Motel because I had stayed there in the 80's while on a family trip.

I reserved the room by phone in advance- very efficient process. Upon arrival, registration went smoothly with friendly customer service. The owner was very happy to tell us about the good places to eat the area. The outside definitely needs some TLC- paint mostly. This is an older roadside hotel from the days before the interstate when Hwy 19 was a "major" Florida highway. The small outside pool approximately 15 ft x 30 ft was empty of water. Not sure if this is due to being off-season (November) or an actual problem with the pool. I suggest you ask about the pool when you make your reservation if it is important to you. The highway is busy during the daytime and the road noise can be heard in the room. No vehicle noise problem noticed during the night since this hotel is located in rural Florida where they roll up the sidewalks early and the road quiets down at night. The parking area was clean and well-lit. The property is shaded by large oak trees but the landscaping is not something to write home about.

The room had recently been repainted with new carpet and bedding including mattress. The mattress was suprisingly comfortable. The room had no musty smell and no bugs. The furniture, including a small table with two chairs, two bedside tables and a small desk, was older and made from particle board -- worn but functional. The small refridgerator and microwave were new, clean and worked well. A coffee pot is available in room -- bring your own coffee. There was also coffee (not Starbucks) available in the lobby early in the morning for those of you who must have your morning "fix". There is a small restaurant across the highway that serves an adequate basic breakfast and has coffee available as well.

The bathroom still has the pink and black art-deco tile that is probably original to the building. Some wear including a few cracks. But, it was clean with a nice shower head. It took a little while to get the hot water flowing. The towels were clean and served the purpose- softer than expected.

The dock does need a lot of work. I would not walk out on it due to broken supports and missing pieces. Unfortunate!!! This needs to be the next repair project the owners take on. I cannot comment on the boat ramp as I did not look at it. However, there is an excellent ramp just a few miles up the road across from Fanning Springs.

Overall, acceptable but, probably a little overpriced when compared to newer facilities. It does have the advantage of being located on the river. We were able to walk out to the bulkhead and watched the sun come up over the river. You cannot do that at the Best Western in Chiefland.

I would love to see the dock repaired and made safe for use. There are few things better than water fun on the Suwannee River.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We always love to stay at the Suwannee Gables Motel and Marina when we come up for our yearly river trips.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2011 via mobile

Though it may not be much to look at from the outside, things look up instantly upon being welcomed by the owners and management.
The rooms are clean and comfortable.
What's most impressive is the view from the rooms. There's a waterfront view, with a nice breeze coming off of it.
I'll definitely stay here in the future.

• Stayed June 2011

Been to Suwannee Gables Motel and Marina? Share your experiences!