“An excellent place to eat” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“An excellent place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I wanted oysters and was told this was the best place to get fresh oysters. They were correct. I wanted something to round out the meal and waitress suggested the corn crab soup. It was excellent.

Visited March 2013

St Augustine
“Local Florida Specialties”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I went to the Restaurant twice.The first time, I had a fish wrap sandwich with sweet potato fries and it was great. My friends were satisfied also, except that the service was a bit slow and the items they ordered were not available. The next day, a few more of us went back. All of the participants in the group were very satisfied with a tasty meal. Once again, the service was pretty slow. My "special" for the day salad and soup was not as good as I was used to from the night before. I would go there again, but just understand in advance regarding the slow service and they're being out of some of the items even though they are advertised as "today's special".

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Great spot, but pricey & they're out of too many things on menu”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Ate there with my wife and had a really nice time. The location on the canal is very relaxing and beautiful. a very authentic Florida Cracker restaurant with fresh gator and any fish you can think of. everything was delicious. I ordered one combo that included frog, alligator, catfish, and cooter (turtle). Included were hushpuppies and some of the best fried grits I have ever eaten. My wife ordered the mahi mahi wrap with sweet potato fries. Everything was fantastic.
It is Tripadvisor says it is "$10" price range. This is not accurate at all. Our bill without appetizers or alcohol was around $50 for two people. In fact there wasn't anything on the menu outside of a few of their many appetizers that were below $10.
We were disappointed in the number of items on their menu that they did not have available. Including simple things such as black beans or fresh squeezed lemonade.
The service was friendly and just fine.
We will certainly go back again because the food was great and the location was beautiful .Real authentic rustic Florida dining.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Okeechobee, Florida
“Delicious!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I recently went for dinner and it was amazing! The hostess Cassie was awesome! She was super helpful during our wait and made great suggestions from the menu. The grouper with the tomatoes and parmesan mixture on top was so delicious! We will definitely be going back soon! :)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Knoxville, Tennessee
“A restaurant is no better than that person cooking at that moment....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We took a day trip from the coast to Lake Okeechobee, and purposely ended at Lightseys for a late lunch. We had been their last year, and thought it was quite good. This year was a different story. The place is a rustic old fish camp type place with bare tables, and a nice screened in porch looking at a small marina. The restaurant has fresh fish, as well as fresh, locally caught alligator and turtle. We tried to order some raw oysters, but were told there was no shucker working, so we settled for a very good oyster stew as a starter. I ordered a combo with fried shrimp and little whole catfishes....this is a treat that is hard to find....you just eat them off the bone line an ear of corn. I had salad (very good), corn on the cob, and fried green tomatoes as sides. My wife ordered whole cats and fried oysters...at the last minute they ran out of oysters, so she had to change to scallops. She had a salad, sweetpotato fries and fried green tomatoes. The scallops and the shrimp were good. The catfish batter was way too salty. The fried green tomatoes were in a cornmeal batter, but it too was very, very salty. The corn was undercooked and the sweetpotato fries were oily. All in all, not a very good meal. It is unlikely that we will go out of the way again to eat here. As I said, our memory is that is was good last year, but what the hell, you need to have someone competent in the kitchen if you bother to be open in the first place.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere