“Crap” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Okeechobee
Union Springs, New York
“Crap”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Didn't tell us there was tax and acted like we were supposed to know because "everyone knows all hotels charge extra" but we haven't stayed in a hotel over 10 years and told my mom her card would not be charged til we left but neglected to tell us that the card would be authorized. We already spoke to the receptionist because the money would not be on the card until Tuesday and she said it was fine but after we got there she said it wasn't. We were given the run around and don't appreciate being lied to.

• Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

Stayed for a month, this is the only economical place in the area, its right next to the best western.

Cons: Staff are a bit on the slow side, I asked if they would prorate the last week I was there and they said no, then asked for a reciept to expense it and they were real ornery about giving me a reciept.
Rooms are old.
The water is heavily chlorinated, cant stay in the shower too long.

Pros: Cheap
Quiet

As it is, there are few options anywhere around Okeechobee, only other option is to go stay on the coast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I chose one of the less expensive accommodations available on a holiday weekend, in a rural town I had never been to, known for their fishing, hunting, cattle handling and sugar cane crops. I was expecting a broken down place, smelly but hoping sheets and towels would at least look clean. I was pleasantly surprised (and ashamed of my presumptions). The motel room was very large (perfect to fit us four adults), it was really non'smoking (no smell), towels and sheets were perfectly white and clean. It even had a sofa convertible to bed. NO BUGS at all!!!! We enjoyed the pool, the breakfast, and the very pleasant and funny Robert at the front desk. my teen kids did not use Wifi but it was available and free of charge. It will definitely be our regular stay whenever we go back to Okeechobee.
The only things I hope they change is some blankets with burn holes (we only noticed when making our beds in the morning) and that they add cream cheese with breakfast. Not crucial, but would be a nice touch.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

Just stayed one night before going hog hunting. The rooms were clean and pleasant. Staff was hospitable and helpful. I have nothing bad to say. It certainly isn't a high end hotel but I would definitely say it was worth the value and I would stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
St. Petersburg, Florida, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

There would be many choices in this area of Florida. I attended an event called the Swamp Bash put on by a club I belong to in both Florida and Vermont. Obviously, This is the Florida branch of an organization that exists around the world.

However, as I told the man at checkout time Sunday morning, this motel, located between Mcdonalds and a Best Western is right up there in my book. There are amenities that even more known motels and hotels don't offfer. A microwave oven, a small refrigerator, a hair dryer, even an ironing board and an iron. An outdoor pool, good cable,good television, two double beds, very comfortable indeed. We were there on a package price but I am sure the Flamingo is competitive year round.

My club chooses many times to plan and provide its own meals. The Flamingo Motel is obviously most accomodating....with an outdoor portable set up for cooking and a community room.located next to an outdoor swimming pool. Needless to say, I arrived reasonably early on Friday and was in the pool by three p m. Might I add that there is a Golden corral about two miles north of the Flamingo, also on 441 South. I went there for Sunday breakfast.

I've lived in Florida now nine years and counting. I'm already planning to attend the next event in Bradenton in November so hopefully I will provide a review there as well.

Room Tip: There are two two storey buildings. Ask for a room away from the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I recently enjoyed myself immensely at the Flamingo Motel. 1. The continental breakfast served in the lobby was much better than many other motels, 2. everyone was friendly, 3. my tv control didn't work properly, but it wasn't a big deal since I was only there for a weekend and not in the room much, 4. I liked my room with the small balcony and although I waited for an alligator to crawl out of the small body of water my room overlooked, I never saw one there, 5. Some people in my group took the airboat ride around the swamp and saw gators and wildlife, which was a good experience; 6. I couldn't avail myself of the different fishing spots as I was too busy. 7. The papaya tree near my room was full of fruit, 8. McDonalds was across the road. The price was right. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the small patio, if you're so inclined to sit outside.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Cloud, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2012

Clean and affordable. Good staff that will go out of their way to help. Restaurants and grocery stores close. McDonalds and Garrards tackle shop next door. Okeechobee Fishing Headquarters about a mile and a half away.

Room Tip: If your fishing and have a boat ask for a room on the north side. They have spaces where you can sta...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Flamingo Motel? Share your experiences!