“Bland” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Windermere, Florida
“Bland”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Excellent service, but the "makeover" from the old Aoba restaurant left it with blamd floor and the tile floor is dangerous when it's raining outside. Did I say excellent service? Yes, but they have to do better on the food.

Visited June 2012

77% Recommend
Orlando, Florida
“Aoba Japanese Restaurant -new owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

We were so happy to find out that Aoba reopen for business. My husband and I stopped in to have lunch. What a disappointment it was. The food was not even close to what it was. The server is just ridiculous. The menu had been revised and it is ridiculously priced - 3x more than before and the food is not that great.

• Visited May 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Windermere, Florida
“Great Re-do on an Old Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

Aoba recently had a facelift and when I saw that their Grand Opening was on Wed., I wanted to try it. My husband and I decided to go for lunch and we were delighfully surprised. The bare tables had been replaced with high-back booths and white tablecloths. The walls were painted a warm taupe and the entire place was updated. The menu has also been updated and greatly expanded. I had the vegetable Hibachi vegetable lunch which was served with a choice of salad or soup and white rice. The veggies were delicious and the portion was very large. My husband had one of the sushi lunch specials which also came with soup or salad and white rice. The sushi was fresh and tasty and his soup was wonderful. We tried the Spicy Tuna Kobachi appetizer which wasn't our favorite. The tuna was certainly fresh, but seemed to be a bit "pulverized" and didn't have much taste except for being spicey hot. All in all it was a nice experience and considering that they have just opened, it can only get better. The staff is friendly and the menu is extensive, so you shouldn't have trouble finding something new to try.

• Visited February 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
jpl34747
“Local fans will miss this authentic Japanese restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I made the last visit to this place over the weekend before it closed the door forever on Sunday... I was not "regular" customer, but whenever I could, I made 40 min. trip to this place to eat "real" Japanese. Being Japanese origin, naturally, I am selective where to eat Japanese food!
Aoba has been serving authentic Japanese food in Orlando area last 10 years. Although so many "Japanese" restaurants exist, very few are owned by Japanese chef or owner. Aoba's owner, Mr. TJ is a renowned Japanese cuisine chef with many years experience. His preparation of Sushi was one of a kind. He educated his royal clients what real Sushi and Japanese food are.
Although he will continue his chef career, the restaurant will be gone. His wife was in charge of kitchen where delicious home-style Japanese foods were prepared.
Thank you for serving fantastic Japanese food! We will miss you!

• Visited October 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Orlando, Florida
“Best Japanese food ever....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

It's a small family owned restaurant where the owner is extremely accomodating, friendly and nice. Food is excellent. Quality is like eating in Mitshukoshi restaurant in Epcot, WDW. There were 10 of us with kids and teenagers and they love the food. My husband loves their salad, He also had chicken teriyaki and it was awesome. We ordered a lot of sushi, udon, and bunch of other stuff and it was great. We will definitely return back.

• Visited July 2011