“Horrible and Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441

You added Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441 to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Ocala
McKinney, Texas
“Horrible and Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A rash, smoky towels and chunky milk?!?!?

I'm completely disappointed in my recent stay at this hotel. We arrived late at night after 17 hours on the road and really didn't need much - just a bed, shower and nice breakfast. When we first arrived in Ocala, we were immediately concerned with the location of the hotel. It appeared to be in a run-down neighborhood with an elevated potential for criminal activity. We parked our van in the best-lit spot we could find, but still felt uneasy.

The person working the front desk couldn't have been nicer or more efficient. She checked us in quickly and gave us a bag with a bottle of water and cookies. As we walked to our room, we noticed the hotel had a low-quality feel to it, and had an odor one might expect from a cheap hotel. When we got to the room, we noticed right away how loud the A/C unit was. However, since we were so tired, I convinced my family that we wouldn't have any trouble sleeping and chose not to ask for a new room. I regret that decision, since most of us found it very difficult to sleep.

When we woke in the morning, my daughter had a rash of some kind on her cheek - the same side she was sleeping on. She's never had anything like that, so we can only assume it somehow came from the pillow. The rash went away after a couple days. Additionally, the towels had a funny smell to them - possibly smoke.

One thing we really appreciate from Holiday Inn Express is the free breakfast, but this proved to be the absolute worst part of our stay. We arrived a few minutes before the official start time and, although certain items were already out, the person working told us rudely that we needed to sit down and wait until she put everything out - so we wouldn't be in her way. After we waited a few more minutes, she told us it was OK to proceed. I got myself a cup of orange juice and noticed a bug in it. Since the cups were stacked upside down, I can only assume it wasn't in there when I took it off the stack, and that it must have come out with the juice. When my daughter poured a carton of milk on her cereal, she noticed it was chunky. I thought at first it was frozen, so I poured mine. Same thing, and I confirmed it wasn't frozen, but actually chunky. It was difficult to not get sick right there at the thought of drinking/eating it. What if I had simply drank from the carton?!?! I found the person working in the back room and told her about the milk. Her response was not at all what I expected. It was something to the effect of... "Someone else said the same thing. I'm not sure why, since the date on the carton is still a few days away." There was no attempt at an apology, no attempt to make things better, and incredibly, no attempt to remove all the milk. That's when I rounded up my family and left.

On the way out, my son told me his cinnamon roll was moldy. Unfortunately, by that time, I had no way to verify that. As we passed the front desk, the person working (different from the previous night) made no attempt to say good bye or thank you, even though she wasn't helping anybody else and even made eye contact with us. I thought about raising my concerns with her at that point, but honestly felt they would fall on deaf ears.

Holiday Inn Express is our first choice when we travel. We thought we knew what we could expect with each one. On our return trip, our stay in Metropolis IL was perfect - just what we've come to expect. However, based on the Ocala experience, I'll need to be more careful in the future and will need to consider other options. My confidence has been shaken, which is truly unfortunate.

When I returned home, I filed a complaint with the Holiday Inn Express corporate office. It took them 19 days to respond (they said it could take up to 21) and when they did, they simply thanked me for bringing it to their attention and said they would forward it to the hotel's general manager. Are you serious?!?!? That's it?!?!?

Update 7/3/13: Holiday Inn credited my Priority Club acocunt with 15,000 points. It's a nice gesture that goes a long way to restoring my faith in them.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Kevin A,

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Okeechobee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We only stayed here one night, since we were in the area for a one day event. The rooms were the cleanest I have ever been in. I usually travel with my own cleaning supplies. When I began wiping down things, absolutely no dirt showed on my cloth at all. I was shocked. The rooms were comfortable and tastefully decorated. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GMOcala H, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
It is our goal to provide our guests the best service there is to offer like no other hotel can, and we sincerely appreciate the time you took in writing us your valuable feedback to commend us for the services we have given you. We couldn’t be more pleased to have served you well and made your stay a memorable one. It pleases us to know that you appreciated the entire hotel experience and its cleanliness in total, for we wish to make the stay of our guests as comfortable as possible while giving them the best value for their money. We hope to be of service to you again very soon.
York, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

The first thing I should mention is the receptionist in this hotel, she went out of her way to accommodate us at very short notice as we had nowhere to stay on this day. She found us a room, slightly smaller than other rooms in the hotel, but it was somewhere to lay our heads. The room was a little tired and needs updating. We had to leave very early the next morning before breakfast started but they made sure we had fresh coffee to help us on our way. Good location, for restaurants etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear David B,

First of all, we like to thank you for having chosen our hotel and we also like to thank you for having taken the time to share your valuable comment with us. Guest comments like yours are paramount for allowing us to focus our attention where guests’ feel it is necessary. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Stayed for 10 nights which was probably unusual for the hotel. Room was spacious and clean, mattresses were good. Communual areas probably needed some cleaning/update. Breakfast was OK although our 13 year old son didn't like anything but we were OK. However the breakfast area was really cold, did ask for the air conditioning to be turned down, this was done but then the next day it was freezing again. Staff very friendly.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear JLC1957,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Boca Raton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Upon arrival I was greeted by a smile and a very friendly front desk attendant. This hotel is great all staff was extremely friendly and enthusiastic. Many times I was told " we want to make your stay comfortable and leave with a positive experience" rooms are newer and very clean. The breakfast was great, and even when I was a little late after breakfast closed the attendant was happy to allow me a little extra time. Great experience would recommend, and will stay again if in the area!!

Keep up the good work!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
We thank you for being our valued customer; it is because of guests like you that we aim to challenge ourselves in constantly improving the services we offer. It is our aim to not only attend to the needs of our guests but also find ways to make our valued guests feel that they are not just customers, they are in fact part of a family that gives this institution its strong foundation. Thank you for being such a great inspiration to drive us to succeed as we certainly consider you a part of our Holiday Inn Express family. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit.
Fieldale, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I called to let them know I would arrive late & upon arrival was not even greeted with so much as a welcome. I am a platinum member, but was never acknowledge as such. Beds were comfy & some updating was done in the bathroom, but needs a new tub. Breakfast was pretty good.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express - Ocala Midtown Medical - US 441, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Kym N,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We do value our Priority Club members and I apologize if this was not the case when you stayed with us. I do hope you will give us a chance to make it right and look forward to seeing you in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and continued loyalty as a Platinum Priority Club Rewards member.

Connie D
Rochester, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed here due to lack of decent hotel choices in Ocala for quality vs price. It was a great price, room was comfortable and clean, but elavators r gross, stairwell is gross. A weird setup with a basement for people with pets, Yuk, I don;t appreciate that, I should've checked that out further. The pool area was small, plenty of chairs, but pool was not clean and full of leaves. Staff at front desk was snooty and brisk in general, not come across many like this in my experience. Breakfast was average but it took a long time for food to be replaced. The hotel was full all 4 nights of our stay, so I was expecting it to be noisy, but was pleasantly surprised I slept well .The walls were a bit thin that I could hear the man on the other side snoring and had to sleep with my tv on. This is an odd HI express setup, but will likely return yearly for the racing if the price remains at a good value, any more increase and I would def. look elsewhere.

Room Tip: AVOID basement, dark dreary, service, maintence area, it is gross down there. Upper floor corner wou...