“Not what we expected” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 12 Attractions in Ocala
More attraction details
Owner description: Petting Zoo Ocala offers a variety of kid-friendly farm animals for viewing, petting and feeding. A stroll through the barn gives visitors an opportunity to meet alpacas, llamas, goats and a few of our other barnyard friends. Some highlights of the zoo include: goats, pigs, horses, sheep, ducks, donkeys, emus and peacocks just to name a few. Come and meet all our four-legged, furry and feathered friends! Pony rides are available as well as a picnic area. Bounce house and play area are included in the entry price.
Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
“Not what we expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We stopped at an amazing little zoo on the drive to Disney World then stopped here on the drive home. Compared to the other zoo, and after reading the great reviews, we were quite disappointed. The smell was overwhelming, the playground rusty and covered with roosters, the bounce house half deflated, but the variety of animals was good; camels, alpacas, sheep, ponies, goats, cows, horses, emu, ducks, geese, rabbits and guinea pigs. There was a field where our 2 year old could run around screaming.

Visited January 2014

Iowa City, Iowa
15 attraction reviews
“Great little place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

It's a bit of a drive outside Ocala but worth the trip! There were quite a few animals to see and the woman working was very friendly. I gave it a 3 instead of 4 because of the drive and a few minor things. I am never impressed when someone is smoking near kids or in a "kid-friendly" environment.

Visited January 2014
Ocala, Florida
“awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Great petting zoo, animals were very friendly!!! Huge variety of animals, picnic area & swing set. Highly recommend for kids.

Visited November 2013
Stuart, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Great afternoon with critters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The two ladies who run this farm are great! Lots of sweet and fun animals. We loved the camel (he licked my husband's head!) and the donkeys. Bring lots of quarters as there is a 25 cent animal food vending machine. The farm was bigger than expected. in the first area there was a camel, donkeys, horses (regular and mini), alpacas, llamas, emus, pigs, and some other animals I am sure I am forgetting.

Next part is the farmyard area. One of the ladies offered my daughters, ages 9 and 3, ice cream cones full of animal feed for 50 cents a cone (very reasonable). We ended up buying 6 cones as it was so fun! Once you have cones in hand you enter the farm yard where the animals come up for food and petting. Be warned....the goats have no manners whatsoever. That's what made it fun though. There is a very sweet cow in the farmyard area, which I have never seen at any other petting zoo.

We were the only people there. The ladies took time to speak to our daughters and answer their questions. They showed us a very pregnant guinea pig....poor thing!. We saw probably 30 rabbits, guinea pigs, sheep, goats, a cow, geese, turkeys, chickens, ducks, etc.. There is a bounce house and play set near the farm yard as well.

One more special thing.....we spotted a chicken egg that had been laid in the guinea pig/male rabbit area. One of the ladies retrieved it and gave it to us, along with a dozen other eggs (3 duck, 9 chicken, and one little banny hen egg). It cost us $24.00 to enter, plus about $6.00 in quarters due to animal feeding fun. Totally worth it. I am go glad we found this place!

Visited December 2013
Mexico City, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Great family day trip!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Brought the family here on the Monday before New Years specifically so that our 4 year old could have her first Pony ride. We had looked at the website and saw the pictures and were really looking forward to the visit, but we did not know what to expect. To make it short this place exceeded expectations.

We drove up and parked and the first thing we saw were a pair of Zebras eating hay in the front area next to the parking lot. My daughter loved looking at the Zebras and was an excellent kick-off. So we went and paid the admission, which was reasonable for our family. The owner made the point of saying that we could basically walk the full depth of the property to look at all the animals.

We started off at the barn which contained the Emus, Pigs, and Peacocks. The guttural sound the Emus make is interesting, I would not have expected that sound from a bird. Next we walked around towards the petting area, the first thing that was offered was an opportunity to pet the rabbits. Now this might seem like a small detail, but rabbits are so soft and my daughter loved it and those of you with kids know that it is the little things that are important.

The petting area itself is pretty clean (for a farm) I think the people at this place try to keep the cow patties to a minimum so I can say walking all over this area did not leave me in any big piles of poo, goat pellets yes, cow patties no. The petting area contained goats, ponies, and a cow all of whom were pretty well mannered. No one in my group got bit, rammed, or eaten clothes by the goats. If you want all the animals to come to you quickly simply bring in some food ($0.50 at the concession stand) and you will have a barnyard full of friends. It is worth stating the cow, ponies, and goats were all really friendly.

The pony ride was nice and consisted of an oval around the front of the property on a white pony named Pablo, thank you Pablo. The owner led the pony herself and our daughter had a great time.

Other opportunities to view animals with limited contact (that is to say standing at a fence line and hope the animal comes to you) included Camels, Horses, Alpacas, Donkeys, Llamas, Chickens, Turkeys, Ducks, Geese and more. I was actually impressed that there were small chickens walking around the property that you could walk up and pet. Please note, that they serve animal feed at the concession stand and at 25-cent vending machines. I wish I had brought more quarters for when we were on the back of the property. I am also pleased to say that the camel did not live up to the usual camel reputation, he was friendly, soft, and did not spit.

Once your little children get their fill of looking at and petting animals this farm has a small playset and bounce house set-up which any child under 8 would probably love. Other features of this location are picnic tables which one could use for a packed-in lunch which are located under a nice shade canopy. Additionally, this location has a small concession stand which serves soda, water, popcorn, nachos, ice cream, and other small items. They also operate a small gift shop with many of small items which would make great family gifts to remember the visit.

The only item to note is that the only restroom facility I saw was a Porta-Potty. We did not visit this during our visit, but I would assume it is not bad. If this is a problem for your family then you might want to plan you trip accordingly.

All-in-all I was expecting something much smaller and what I got was a multi-acre farm with a lot of animals that my daughter loved visiting. The owner and staff were all courteous and accommodating and the animals were friendly. Additionally the bounce-house provided a well rounded value The experience far exceeded the price of admission and I would recommend this place to anyone looking to have a couple-hour family outing.

I would like to say thank you to the great people here who made this an excellent visit.

Visited December 2013