“GREAT place on a hot day” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 29 attractions in Ocala
Type: National Parks, Bodies of Water
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Clear-blue spring and creek in Ocala National Forest.
Fort Lauderdale, FL
26 attraction reviews
“GREAT place on a hot day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

We visited two springs in the Ocala area; we enjoyed both, but they were VERY different. Alexander Springs is more natural; Juniper Springs is more like a spring-fed pool. Both cost about $5 per head. If you are there to snorkel, Alexander Springs is more interesting. Both have plant growth at the bottom of some areas; it is sandy in others. Juniper Springs has a long, wide ledge; if you do not choose to swim, you can sit or stand with your feet in the water. Both have restroom facilities. The little store at Juniper Springs seemed better stocked. The CCC history of Juniper Springs will be interesting to some. There are nature trails at both. There's a raised area over a deep area at Juniper Springs -- fun for jumping or diving. Plenty of room for a picnic at either.

Visited July 2013

Merritt island, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Cool Place on Hot Days!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family & I went camping to Alexander Springs this weekend. We had a great time. It was however very hot, but was it not for the coolness of the 72deg. Springs to cool you off this would have been a very Hot weekend. We had a great camp spot and enjoyed the outdoors along with cool and hot showers for everyone. There is a small camp store for items you might have forgot. There is swimming toys and masks for snorkeling in and around the springs. Picnic tables are for first come, first serve and plenty of them near the water. Saturday seems to be more people around then on Sunday. There are barbeque grills at most tables to do your grilling. We had a grill provided for the camping in each campsite. There is no electric for the primitive camping but there seem to be electric hookups for trailers and motor homes. I thoroughly recommend a weekend or more of camping at Alexander Springs and try out the canoe rentals as you can canoe several miles down the river and see the "Real Florida".

Visited July 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
28 attraction reviews
“Even in a summer thunderstorm, absolutely beautiful.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Be prepared to pay substantially more than other parks, but well worth it. We were chased out by the lightning, because the torrential rain was warm. The combination of cold spring water and warm rain was wonderful. There is a sandy bottom and it is shallow for most of the way, so it is a great place for little ones or non-swimmers. It isn't a huge area, so I imagine it can get crowded but I understand the park rangers monitor the numbers. Not sure how.

The picnic area is well-maintained, and the restroom are an unexpected pleasure. There are individual indoor showers and changing rooms, with hot water!

Get there early and make the most of your day. Pack your lunch, and enjoy.

Visited June 2013
4 attraction reviews
“Fun day with friends!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to Alexander Springs with a group of friends just for the day to swim. We grilled out and floated and swam in the water. It's a fun place for adults and children. There is also a nature trail you can walk thru the woods. We ha a great time.

Visited June 2013
Mexico City, Florida
4 attraction reviews
“Great Familiy Day Trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

My family went to Alexander Springs for a day trip on Memorial Day weekend. We arrived in the afternoon and the parking lot was full. A park employee was in the road directing traffic away from the entrance and allowed cars to enter as the parking spaces emptied out on a first-come first-served basis. All-in-all the wait was less than 15 minutes.

The park fee I would say is fair (a little high, but fair) and only applies to vehicle occupants age 6 and up (saved $5.50). It was very easy to park, and we found 'our' parking spot very quickly.

Next we all went to the restrooms, the restrooms were in good condition and a little cleaner than some parks that I have gone to, but also were not anything to write home about. The restrooms are equipped with showers and changing booths in addition to the toilets and urinals.

It is a pretty walk from the restroom area to the swimming area; I noticed that there were a lot of picnic tables, grills, and pavilions. The walk between the two areas is on sidewalk and generally nice and takes you up on the beach.

Once we got to the beach the first and obvious thing I noticed is that it the beach is a little on the small side, but it was still pretty easy to find a spot to place our towels. Another nice feature of the beach was that the beach is about 50/50 shade/sun. The worst thing I can say about the entire experience at this park is that the sand is dirty. It was dirty to the point that if you kick the sand a dirt cloud would blow across the beach. The lesson here is, if you want to sun bathe go to Ormond or Daytona because this is a swimming hole.

The springs themselves are beautiful; the water is clear and cool (of course). The swimming area itself is also pretty large (75,000 SF) especially when compared to Juniper Springs (9,200 SF). The other nice feature of these springs is the fact that about half of the spring is wading depth. This gave my 3 year old the freedom to explore without her feeling scared by deep water. There are plenty of fish in the water and my family spent a little time digging through the bottom looking at rocks and shells.

The headspring itself is also in the swimming area, I was able to swim over and into the opening a little, there were scuba divers going in and out of the hole during the entire time I was there. While there was a lot of activity in the swimming area (scuba diving, snorkeling, inflatable boats, balls, etc.) it did not feel crowded at all, and as stated above this was Memorial Day weekend.

Overall this is a great day trip and I would recommend it for families with small children in the Ocala, Orlando, and Daytona Beach areas. It is worth noting that I had a little aprehension about the park after reading the critisims about the staff and management company. I had several interactions with staff members and they were all kind and courteous and it will be my pleasure to return to this park again in the future.

Visited May 2013