“I wanted to love this place...” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
St. John's
“I wanted to love this place...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Unfortunately, I was disappointed. My friend and I went for dinner on a week night because of the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not expecting fine dining, but good German food. Hmm. Not so much. The red cabbage tasted like it came from a can... my friend makes much tastier fare! The Bratwurst was meh but the potato pancakes were flavorful. Nothing was awful, just...unremarkable.
On the upside our young waitress was patient, answered our questions and responded to my request for bacon with my pancakes. The additional bacon was not added to my bill! I was pleasantly surprised. The prices are more than reasonable.
On the down side, while some may find the 3 televisions blasting German music and rather strange Oktoberfest parties we found it to be distracting and the volume on a weeknight might have been lower.
Will I try again. Maybe. There was something sort of Kitschy and local about the place, but I hope the next time the red cabbage is fresh.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Summerfield, Florida
“Authenic German Atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

My husband and I decided to try The Schnitzel Factory after friends told us how good it was. The restaurant is relatively easy to find. The Bavarian decorations were simple but cute and you can come dressed in casual clothing. I had made reservations and when we arrived, we were seated right away. Since I had never had German food before, I asked our waitress what the different food items were on the menu and she was very helpful. I ordered the Wiener Schnitzel ( a flat piece of pork that was breaded) along with 2 sides, spaetzle (german noodles and gravy) and Bratkatoffeln, (fried potatoes). My husband also ordered the schnitzel, but with a pepper sauce on top of his plus an authentic German beer. I'm not a beer drinker, but he said that it was very tasty---almost as good as the beer he had in Germany many years ago. While we waited for our food, (5 minutes only), 2 tiny warm loaves of bread with butter and mustard were given to us. The bread was very good. The portion size of the schnitzel (we had pork, but you can also have veal) was very ample, as were the side orders. I was a bit disappointed in the schnitzel because I thought it was just a wee bit overdone, but it was still tasty. The Bratkatoffeln was delicious but I didn't care for the spaetzle. In the background German music with a DJ was playing. Apparently, he was airing a live German radio station, which was pretty cool! Every once in awhile, we would all have to raise our glasses and sing the German toasting song! Everyone participated and it was fun. I wish I would have had room for dessert, but we had to box up our meal because there was so much of it. We already have reservations with a group of friends in Sept. when Octoberfest begins with live entertainment. We look forward to it and I'm already planning on trying the German wine, and of course, this time I will have dessert!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Juergen and Ire... B, Owner at The Schnitzel Factory, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you for your honest, interesting and fair review. Our Schnitzels are hand cut Pork Loin and Pork Loin is a dry piece of meet. Specially the Wiener Schnitzel feels like slightly over cooked and dry without a sauce as a topping like our other Schnitzels
We looking forward to serve you and your friends again on our Oktoberfest.
Thanks again for your review.
Ocala, Florida
“Good German Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

We visited the Schnitzel Factory last week for a late lunch and my husband and I both enjoyed schnitzels large enough to require doggy bags. They were excellent, as were the German fried potatoes and Black Forest cake.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Good German food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

We have been going to this restaurant for quite some time as both me and my husband, which is part german and loves german food. The only thing that we have had a problem with is that they have cut the amount of food down to very small portions.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Clearwater, Florida
“You Must Dine Here...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

...if you enjoy good food you will love this restaurant. The dishes are German, but your tastebuds only recognize; Wow, this food tastes amazing! You walk in, are seated, and read a menu that you want to order one of everything on the menu! I decided on the wurst platter (knockwurst, weisswurst, & brautwurst), my girlfriend chose the Jaeger Schniztle. Before the meal even came I must first mention the dark wheat beer the restaurant has shipped in from Germany. It was delicious & every sip only makes you enjoy the flavor more. It was both delicious and fascinating at the same time! And so our awesome waitress Petra arrived with our meals and authentic German mustard. My wursts arrived on a delicious bed of sauerkraut, you add the mustard & it is incredible. Bites from my gf's dish were equally amazing. Bottom line is the two waitresses and the one cook combine to crank out incredible dishes that you could never expect to find in Ocala. I travel all over Florida for work, have gotten into 10 German restaurants from Miami to Pensacola & being a waiter previously, make it my job to review restaurants as critically as possible...this one holds the title of best German food I have yet to taste in the entire state. This team must take great pride in the food they put out & how they put it out because it shows. We were both expecting a typical dinner out & were completely blown away!!

• Visited May 2013