“Very Good” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Mark's Prime Steakhouse and Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 361 restaurants in Ocala
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Broadway
Description: A elegant steakhouse with outdoor dining. Tableclothes, candle lite dining,Prime beef and fresh seafood. Over 1000 bottles of wine, and a large premuim bar with a wide selection of bevarages.
Delray Beach, Florida
“Very Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

First, let me say that I went to this restaurant with some pre-conceived notions, based upon the previous reviews I read on Trip Advisor.

The general consensus from those reviews seems to be that the food is very good, but not quite rising to the level of great, but that the service is terrible.

Well, as far as the food goes, I agree with the above assessment. My wife and I both ordered steaks, and they were very good, but not quite reaching the level of great.

As far as the bad service, I guess we lucked out, because we had to take a seat at the bar to eat, because the restaurant was filled (supposedly), so we avoided the bad service, because the bartender was standing 5 feet away from us the entire night, and gave us good service.

(it did take quite a bit of time to get our steaks though---probably 10 minutes more than it should have)

The reason I say "supposedly" filled is that when we got to the restaurant (on a Friday night, about 6:15pm), we were asked if we had a reservation, which we didn't, and were told that no tables were available, but that we could sit at the bar. Luckily, there were exactly two seats available at the bar, so we jumped at the offer. However, as our meal progressed, we noticed that a lot of the tables that supposedly were reserved remained empty for the entire time we were eating at the bar. So that was kind of annoying, but no big deal. I suggest you make a reservation if you are going on a weekend, because they really mean it !!!!!

Also, I didn't like the fact that when we ordered sauteed spinach, that it was covered with a layer of cheese. Again, no big deal, but that kind of ruined this particular item for me.

Also, my wife and I went to the restaurant planning to order a porterhouse steak for two, but surprisingly, there was no porterhouse steak on the menu at all. I found this rather strange, because even a chain steakhouse usually offers porterhouse steak.

The portions were more than ample. Both my wife and I could not finish our steaks, and brought them home. In fact, we probably could have gotten by sharing just one steak.

Also, I want to note that "the square" area (the area of town where the restaurant is located) was a bit scuzzy, with some rather unsavory looking people wandering about.

I wouldn't say the area was terrible, because right near the restaurant, there was a surprisingly busy Starbucks, and the busy Harry's restaurant is nearby as well, but I just wanted to make that observation.

So all in all, the food is very good, and I would go back the next time I wanted a steak dinner.

But I can't comment on whether the service was good or not, because by sitting at the bar, we avoided that issue.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Orlando, Florida
“Terrible Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Went here on a Friday night with a group of people. We were seated at 7:30 and did not get any food until around 8:45. The wait staff was very rude. The place was full of staff and they were just not working. I asked a guy passing by who I thought was one of our waiters about getting another drink while waiting on food and he informed me that he was the manager BUT!!! he would help me anyway. I could not believe what I was hearing. The food is pretty good but it is not worth the price they are charging when you have to wait for no service and take the abuse from the staff. Also one in our party did Valet Parking and he had to wait over thirty minutes to get his car to leave this lousy restaurant. Will never return to this place again. Be warned!!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
The Villages, Florida
“Great dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Went to Marks last evening to celebrate Christmas with another couple before they headed up north to see their family. Have been here before , and have never been disappointed. ENOS, our server took great care of us all evening. Great cocktails, wine, and dinner. All steaks cooked to perfection ! ENOS did an excellent job , and was there for anything we needed. This is deffinately our favorite place for steaks in this area of Central Florida .

Visited December 2013
Ocala, FL
“Another "almost"”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

The restaurant business is a tough one. Requires a good balance between quality of food, pricing and service. And here is another one that 'almost' makes it - food is pretty good, a little pricey and the service was atrocious. Well, that along with refrigerated Cabernet.
We visited on a busy Friday evening, prior to 6 PM for their appetizer and drink happy hour.

It took forever to get menus, like over ten minutes.One order did not make it to the kitchen until after we inquired when it did not come out with the others. Another never made it to the kitchen so we went without. And I had to ask twice for a salt shaker.

This would be bad service at Denny's but at a place that is trying to compete as one of the premier restaurants in Ocala, I find it totally inexcusable. Will probably not return - "almost" is not good enough for us at those prices.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Boca Raton, Florida
“Superb Meat, Perfectly Cooked, Nice Ambience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

As good as it gets anyplace with a steakhouse. In Ocala, the capital city of Florida's horse and cattle ranch country, you would expect an outstanding steakhouse. Although you don't always get what you expect, Mark's Prime Steakhouse and Seafood is truly outstanding. They offer a complete menu, but they do specialize in steak and seafood. They provide a wide choices of steaks and ways they prepare it. All meat is aged and superbly choice. My steak was perfection in the meat and preparation, plus very creative, with a crab meat topping and light bluecheese taste. Although it sounds unusual, it was a pleasant matching with the meat, which complemented, but did not overwhelm the steak. Wine list extensive, but includes good, moderately priced wines. My only quibble of the evening is that the waiter's recommended dessert of chocolate cake turned out to be finished. In a restaurant the quality of Mark's, they should not have run out, and if they did, the waiter should have known that, and not recommended it. Still, an outstanding meal.

• Visited November 2013