“Charming, step back in time.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Monaco/N Miami/Sunny Isles

Save Saved
You added Travelodge Monaco/N Miami/Sunny Isles to your Saves list
Travelodge Monaco/N Miami/Sunny Isles
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17501 Collins Avenue, North Area Sunny Isles, North Miami Beach, FL 33160   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn 2000 Bonus Points
London, United Kingdom
“Charming, step back in time.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel won't be here for ever. It sits between monstrous high rise hotel/apartments and denotes a bygone era. My husband and I found it charming. It is right on the beach. As we checked in, an old couple arrived from New York and had clearly been coming for years. They knew all the staff, who hugged them warmly and they headed for the rooms facing the beach, that they had spent many happy holidays in.
Buses run regularly to & from the South beach/Art Deco area outside the hotel, with a one way fare of $2 or a multi ticket at $5/day, and the option to transfer to the down town area. This hotel is a good value option to see local sights.
There are many restaurants in the area and a Publix supermarket a short walk away.
The hotel is old, but the rooms have everything you might need. The walls are thin and we don't tend to be used to this now. Our neighbours did not make too much noise or stay up all night but I guess in the height of the season this could be a lot worse. Younger people would probably not worry at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

303 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Turkish first
Mogi Das Cruzes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

FIrst of all, all the 3 rooms my family stayed smelled cigarrete. Even complaining the staff said that all rooms are the same because unfortunally some guests had this habit.. Then we saw the CHAMBERMAID SMOKING inside the rooms while pretending was cleaning!!!
We checked out and payed a "spa fee" for each person "had the right of using beach facilities" - even if you don't use it, plus the parking fee. My sister has a later flight and stayed there for more 6 hours. She was obligated to PAY AGAIN all the fees of 7 people - that I had already payed! Even explaining the situation, she had to pay again! I complained by email, sending both double charging tickets... Never got my honest money back...
And the worst of all... We HAD MORE THAN 15 ITEMS STOLED FROM OUR ROOM! Including Barbie dolls, slipers, sneakers, 5 t-shirts, a cell phone, 3 winter jackets. We always triple checked if was locked, so WE DID NOT LET DOORS OPENED for sure! Unfortunally we noticed only arriving in Brazil because we had tons of shopping... Again we send an email, no answer. TAKE A LOT OF CARE WITH THIS HOTEL AND LOCK YOUR THINGS!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed there 2 nights in fall 2011, that was horrable, AC was old and "tired"... room was clean, but please, people, that's something what MUST be! breakfast is from 6.30 to 8.30... the stuff were lazy. yeah, may be area is good, but not so good that you will pay 95$ per day, South Beach is much better... its not a resort, how they call them self, but just poor motel... one is good, its right on the beach...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I stayed nearly a week with a friend at this hotel. It was clean and was kept clean which was a good start. Housekeeping does a great job here. This is one of the older hotels still in operation in Sunny Isles and it still affordable. Most of the surrounding buildings are skyscraper $300/night hotels or condos. So the sheer fact that this hotel from the days of "motel row" still exists at all is notable. I would say my rating would be more like 3 1/2 stars (Good) because it was better than average but not quite very good. The front desk staff were very helpful and friendly, however if you plan to arrive or leave in the early a.m. hours (let's say before 7 a.m.), there might not be anyone at the desk right away, which was my experience. We had a 7 a.m. flight we were in a rush to catch.

The structure is like the 2 story motels you still see everywhere, except this one is rectangular and has a courtyard with a small pool and a deck. There is also somewhat of a nice grassy area with a picnic table or 2 and shuffleboard. Why anyone would hang out at the pool during the day when you have one of the nicest beaches in Florida just steps away is beyond me. But there were people doing that. I'd like to ask if they have swimming pools back in their country. For those more adventurous types, Haulover nude beach is about a 1 1/2 mile drive down Collins Ave.

We skipped the continental breakfast each day in favor of Denny's (across the street) or IHOP (a short drive), so I can't speak of how good or bad it was. The wifi is free if you don't mind hanging out in the lobby where the reception actually works. Wifi in your room, well not so much. And the one disappointment is there was no individual room air conditioning, so you can't adjust your room temperature. It's central air and set at whatever it is set at. But if you like 70-75 degrees, you'll be just fine. I prefer it a little cooler at night.

The price is right, but remember to add in the parking fee ($8/day -- there is nowhere else to park) and the resort fee ($10/day per room) when you budget. There are more cars than spaces on the weekends, so if you double park you leave your keys at the desk.

I found there to be a lot of families with small kids at the pool, but they were all well-behaved. There's also an Italian restaurant in the hotel that sells pizza and other favorites. The pizza was about as good as Papa John's...you know, edible.

Room Tip: I was in Room 152, the back door led out to a private walkway to the beach.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Springfield, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Knowing that the Travellodge Monaco was an older motel, I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised. I had a pool side room with a kitchenette. The room was large and had very nice furniture. Very pleasant to stay there. Everything was great, including the front office staff. They were all very nice and helpful. I loved the fact that I was in walking distance of Walgreen, Denny's, and some nice restaurants and shopping. No need to take the car out at night. Very relaxing and convenient place to stay. My only negative thing is the free complimentary breakfast. It consisted of two pieces of toast, coffee, and juice. However, you could actually order a nice breakfast, lunch, or dinner in the restaurant. Over-all is was a very nice and comfortable place to stay!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Jacksonville, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

I spend two nights at this hotel and it was a nightmare. I am used to sleep anywhere even on the floor of my friends homes or in tents in the woods with no water or electricity but this was the worst experience I have ever had. I checked in because all the other hotels in the area were booked solid for the weekend and we needed a place to stay as we arrived late at night. I didn't like the hotel at all but we had no choice as everything was booked.

Parking space is non-existent at all times during the day and it is shared with the staff and delivery from the pizza cafe within the property (lovely people and excellent pizza by the way).

We stayed on the second floor. There is no elevator so you have to carry your luggage upstairs. Imagine that with kids and all the stuff you have to carry with them.

The second day, the manager of the Monaco was going to tow my car in broad daylight while it was parked in the parking lot of the hotel I was paying for and while I was only a few feet away from him!!!! First hotel I have ever experienced this and I travel at least three or four times per month within the US and I have been traveling around the world for years.

People blocked my way out at night and I had to wait thirty minutes to get out of the parking lot in the blazing sun the following day. You are required to leave your car keys at the front desk even if you are inside their property which they failed to tell us when we checked in. The manager pointed at the signs at the front desk as a poor excuse for their lack of communication and service.

There is no choice to keep your keys with you and they will tell you they are not responsible for things left in your car either. You must leave the keys at all times or they will tow your car is what they tell you.

I sat at the cafe (inside the hotel) right in front of the manager eating lunch the following day (the cafe has a huge clear glass door) and I was lucky to see my car being towed. The man at the front desk was not polite. He told me I had to pay $50 (to the hotel of course, not the tow truck) because they "looked for me everywhere". Very interesting because I was sitting right in front of him the entire time (for at least two hours) !!!!! He could see me right through the glass. If they wanted to make a quick buck, they should have fabricated another story, not that they could not find me.

They also told me that the night was $109 but they failed to mention that parking is an additional charge and they also charge a resort fee and after all these charges the night's total is $139.

Overpriced for a motel room that smells like smoke and mildew, with central AC that does not go above 80 degrees in Florida weather (you can not adjust the thermostat as it is non-existent in the room) and with a security box that has no key and was locked. Not comfortable to spend the night with children. My 5 yr old daughter hurt her foot on the bathroom tiles as they were not leveled with the carpet in the bedroom. We had noisy neighbors and a loud fight started in the hallway around 2:00 am. I called the front desk but they never sent anyone. The sink was clogged and there was no way to open it so the water could not flow out. The refrigerator did not cool our food or water and the TV definition was terrible. I ended up moving to a different hotel in the middle of the day after my car was released from the tow truck. The man at the front desk even tried to charge me for another day even though I told him I was leaving and he also told me to take the $50 towing charge as a "half day payment". He said: "look at it this way: you paid $50 for another day which is half the price"... I can't believe he attempted to convince me he was the one doing me a favor. Hotels do not charge per day, they charge per night.

Moving from hotel to hotel with kids is not fun but I was super happy we did it. We stayed at the Hampton Inn at Hallandale and Aventura which is not very far from the Monaco Travelodge. We had a great night of sleep. When we were checking in, the manager was finishing with another person that had also moved from the Monaco Travelodge in Sunny Isles. I guess I was not the only customer with a bad experience at the Monaco.

By the way, public parking at the beach is cheaper than what the Monaco Travelodge charges for parking. It is not worth spending $139/night.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms with their poor central AC. Not good to sleep HOT during Florida summers.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Rheinfelden, Deutschland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

For a few days ok but not for a longer stay.

Room was ok but a little tidy.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Travelodge Monaco/N Miami/Sunny Isles? Share your experiences!