“Short stayover” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in North Miami
Oslo, Norway
“Short stayover”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I needed a cheap stay over for the night, so i choose this for the price. The general quality of the hotel is below standard. There was all the time an annoying alarm sound coming from the hallway and the bathtub pluming didn't work properly. There was only wifi in the lobby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Asbury Park, New Jersey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Here are some keywords found on the website of Holidays Golden Glades Hotel in Miami!
Excellent choice, Pride, Exceptionally friendly and efficient service, Honored guests, fine hotel. This hotel boasts being honored in Washington DC with the 2008 Best of Miami award in the lodging category by the US Local Business Association. It's been a long tough 5 years since 2008 for this hotel.

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE UGLY

THE GOOD.
The location was perfect for our planned activities, 5 mins from the stadium and 15-45 mins to everywhere we needed to be. (see also the bad)
Parking is free. (see also the bad)
Clean room. (see also the bad)
Free WIFI. (see also the bad)
Elevators newly finished and fast.
Bathroom newly renovated. (see also the bad)
Ice machine on 3rd floor.

THE BAD
The location, seedy neighborhood at best. I have stayed in nice hotels in seedy neighborhoods... this wasn't nice at all. Hotel gives the aura of a really cheap short stay motel.
Parking lot is a shortcut and hangout for the neighborhood's best.
Clean room: linens laundered every day... carpets stained, drapes ugly, stained chairs, bed sheet had tear/hole, (feels like there are no back-up supplies, they launder your linens and towels and put them back in your room) tables in "dining room" with paint spots etc, hallways musty (smells like a 1980's nursing home).
Free WIFI only available in lobby... even Popeye's has WiFi!!!
Ice machine on 3rd floor dispenses 1/2 bucket ice/night, room with ice machine and vending machine filthy (I have pics)
Bathroom newly renovated wit granite accents, tub and toilet bowl needs to be replaced.
Continental breakfast set out rudimentary at best, a lot of food safety issues here.
Pool: kiddie pool dirty and moldy, same for large pool, surroundings dirty and unkempt.
TV: I haven't seen a TV like this in a hotel in 6 years... and the channels don't work, good luck getting a remote that operates your TV.

THE UGLY

two words... LISANDRA "SANDRA" IZQUEIRDO.
The front desk clerk is the face of the hotel. A lot of issues at this hotel is fixable or at least can be addressed short term by front desk. Ms Izqueirdo was unhelpful, problematic, full of attitude ... a I don't give a damn attitude, argumentative, everything a front desk clerk shouldn't be. Unfortunately she only compounds the negativity of this hotel. She reflects what this hotel reflects from the second I drove unto the property...

Fortunately with some love and attention this hotel may return to its award winning status, and with customer oriented employees like Miguel Botte (maintenance), Ryann Lewis (reservations clerk), the maids who work with what they are provided, and the Haitian maintenance guy whose name I forgot there is hope. A little elbow grease, and some TLC will go a long way here. This hotel will always be busy, (the location and price is great), but not from return business.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Silver Spring, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

I checked in last night around 5 after a horrific travel experience. I woke the next morning and got ready for my first day in Florida. I opened the shades to try and get some natural sun light. That's when I saw blood stains on the carpet. I immediately called downstairs and spoke with Siteria (extremely rude). She sent up a housekeeper who tried to clean the stain with the same solution she used to clean the COUNTERS. Why would that work on blood?!! When the housekeeper couldn't get the BLOOD out, she said it was coffee. [--]. I went downstairs and spoke with the "Manager", Siteria and the woman in the blue shirt in my picture. The lady in blue kept telling me it's not blood it's coffee. She must have magic powers because she made that determination without seeing the stain. I was told I would have to call booking and the "Manager" couldn't do anything. Then why are you here???? I immediately checked out of the -1 Star hotel!!! WORST-CUSTOMER-SERVICE-EVER!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

I went there for spring break during my study abroad in Georgia. We drove down so we had a car which helped a lot because the location is not the best. Don't suggest going unless you have a car, nothing around there and not much public transport. There is a Wegmans grocery store and a Wall Mart close by and some restaurants and other stuff, but nothing too exciting.

But the hotel itself was good :) affordable, clean, friendly staff, free parking. The only complaint I would have was that the breakfast wasn't that great, but as students we weren't too picky.

• Stayed April 2013
Buffalo, Wyoming
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

Let me preface this review by saying that this hotel wasn't expensive, but that just goes to show that you get what you pay for.

The hotel grounds/parking lot are not well-maintained. Upon arrival, that didn't bode well. The sign bulbs high up on the building are burnt out in one place, so the logo is a partial logo, and I couldn't see the name anywhere on the building. Once inside, I had to ask at the desk, "What's the name of this hotel?" to be sure I was in the right place.

The lobby is a sparse, depressing space, the elevators need to be wiped down more often, the caulk/grout in the bathroom was so dark with filth, it gave me the willies. Flip flops are a necessity. Note to management: 1) When caulking, find people who know how to caulk or who are willing to learn. 2) Get some grout cleaner and scrub the grout clean, then seal it so it stays that way.

The curtains and sheers on the windows had holes in them. The continental breakfast is held in a room with absolutely no atmosphere and looked as shabby as the rest of the hotel.

I wasn't comfortable in the neighborhood, so I didn't venture out. This hotel isn't in a locale where one walks around the neighborhood to see the sights.

On the positive side, the sheets were clean and the elevator is the fastest elevator I've been in in years; that was nice.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Blacksburg, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

It's unfortunate that this property sits to decay in the way that it does. It very obviously used to be a Holiday Inn before it seemingly lost it's status and is destined to rot as an ill maintained mom and pop hotel.

My poor experience begins before check in.. requested an early check in and was denied, no biggie, it's not guaranteed after all. But when I asked about holding luggage or the earliest that we could get into our room I was told that we were not to show up at the hotel until our check in time because we "did not pay to come earlier, if we wanted to check in early we should have paid for another day"..... okay... sorry for asking.. so we kill time at the mall.

Arrive at the hotel and notice the landscaping is in poor condition outside, overgrown with weeds or just a plot of mulch where landscaping used to be. The sliding doors are broken with a handwritten sign blaming the broken door on guests who went in and out too many times... really? blaming the guests.. not a great first impression. I get inside and ready to check in and get a lady struggling through the basics of the English language. Having to repeat myself two to three times and slow down my speech for her to understand. We arrive and we are informed of a slew of hidden fees... great, so now i'm paying extra for a hotel i'm already not impressed with. Extra feeds included a $10 or so fee for a room safe.. really? a room safe? (mind you the safe was not even attached to the floor.. we joked about how a thief could just walk out of the room with the safe in tow.. but really, not a joke)

So we get to the rooms and they're not even clean or maintained. Cigarette burns in the drapery and on the sheets.. pillows with stains of god knows what on them. and a non working alarm clock. The rest of the evening went on rather uneventful.. we avoided the room for anything other than the essential of a nights sleep.

In summary, don't stay here unless you enjoy the very very very bare essentials, aesthetics don't matter to you, and customer service doesn't either.

Room Tip: Just don't stay here.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
West Palm Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

This could be a nice place if someone cared. Weeds outside, green stuff growing on the outside walls where water drips, awnings filthy. Sliding door only opened half-way, elevator not clean, only one worked. Room clean but windows filthy and drapes unbelievable. A $50 security deposit was added. For what, I'll never know. If I had not prepaid, I would have left.

Sure, the place is old, but so what. If anyone cared, this could be a reallyy cute hotel, deserving "boutique" added into its name. What does it take to pull weeds, wash the slime off the walls and clean windows and awnings. Maybe this place is slated for demolition like its neighbor - a hotel now a large empty lot. It is such a good location, and that's why we picked it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holidays Golden Glades Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!