“Best Middle Eastern in Naples/Bonita/Ft. Myers” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Bonita Springs, Florida
“Best Middle Eastern in Naples/Bonita/Ft. Myers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Great value. Great sandwiches. It's a little hard to find.. .you go over a bridge...and then you turn into a service road at the first light on your right. It's next to a Pizza Hut (I think). But, it's worth the effort. Best kofta, shwarma, etc. I've had in the area. Most affordable too. Buy extras...because it's tough to eat just one. My favorites are the grilled chicken wrap (chicken shwarma w/garlic sauce) and the lamb kebab wrap (which is really ground lamb, like kofta.) So yummy. Can even order in advance via their website.

Visited February 2013

Ft.Myers
“Fast food setting but Sit Down Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We come for the food not the atmosphere and we come at least once a month and do a drive through pick up of the food. I couldn't top the previous reviewer's evaluation of the food ; it was spot on. I've brought the vegetarian selection to a party table and everyone left raving over the
Tabbouleh . We gobble the food up each time like we are starving on a deserted island, it's that
Good and fresh. It's not going to be as inexpensive as a typical drive through place but then again you are getting a better quality product for just alittle more. This place knows how to make vegetables taste good. How many places do you know of can do that?

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Homemade! Delicious! Friendly!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I spotted the sign "Kabob Aroma" on a recent drive through the otherwise culinary no-mans-land of North Fort Myers. The restaurant is just off US41, on a frontage road, yet fully visable from the main road.
Enter through the screen door, into the screen-enclosed dining area and the first thing you encounter will be the Kabob Aroma menu board, complete with (realistic!) photos and prices. Next, step up to the small, sliding window and you are greeted by the owners who will take your order and help guide you through the menu, if you do have questions. I inquired about what type of meat they use in their kibbeh (lamb) and was told they were sold not only as a platter (with salad, pita, etc.) but also by the piece ($2.50 each) and served atop baba ganoush. In fact, the friendly owner's description of their kibbeh over baba ganoush left me with no other option but to drool and place our order!
I ordered the vegetarian platter...it consisted of several pieces of crispy-on-the-outside/fluffy on-the-inside falafel, stuffed grape leaves (full bodied, they are filled with spiced rice), tabouli salad (rendolent of fresh mint, parsley, & lemon), creamy hummus spread, and silky, smooth, smoky baba ganoush. Pita triangles are served with this. I was immediately struck with the obvious freshness and homemade quality of each item. In fact, I will be so bold to guess that everything on the plate, except for the pita, pickles and pickled turnips, are made in-house? The falafels were so delicious, and I was struck by the thoughtfulness of how the pieces of falafel were placed on the plate on top of pieces of pickled turnip, so the crispness of them would not be tainted by the lemony dressing of the tabouli salad, which shares the same space on the styro plate. Have I mentioned, in all my life, I've never eaten a more smooth, sexy, satisfying baba ganoush? How do they do that? No bitterness. No seeds. Just a slippery blend of smokey eggplant goodness...perfect!
The kibbeh were also brilliant in the mouth! Deep fried to crispy perfection, they are filled with minced, spiced lamb. The lamb was remarkable in the fact that the meat had obviously been hand-ground (or minced?), as there were bits of both lean and fat to be found within. To me, this is a bonus, as we all know the fat is what holds the flavor! Granted, this was my first time eating kibbeh, but it may well be the standard to what I now hold all other kibbeh to arise to. The crispy, flavorful crunch of the bulgar wheat coating, paired with the smooth/silky of the baba ganoush...Augh! I wish I had some right now!
Mom ordered her usual stand-by, the Falafel Wrap and at only $5.95, she was thoroughly impressed with the generous portion. Several pieces of the above-mentioned crispy falafel, with tomatoes, pickles, lettuce, and plenty of homemade tahini sauce is served along-side of the wrap, so you can pour it in as you wish. (Mom judges her Middle Eastern food by the tahini sauce, and the one served at Kabob Aroma got a very enthusiastic nod of approval.) The pita used here are large and nicely thin...perfect for Mom's wrap (I believe it was a double-pita used in the wrap). However, as an accompaniment to my vegetarian platter, I found the pita to be too dry and tough to be enjoyed.
Next time, we will save room to try their pistachio baklava and Turkish coffee.
Portions here are generous. The vegetarian platter is almost too much for one person (I manage to eat alot, and found myself asking for a "to go" container, to bring the rest home.) The prices are very reasonable, probably reflective of the fact there is no indoor seating...at all. Patrons, after placing their order, will find a seat in the screen-enclosed dining area, where there is a self service soda machine. When your order is ready (quite quickly) you are called back to that small sliding window where you placed your order, to pick up your meal. Sadly, meals here are served on styrofoam, with plastic utensils. Given the known environmental issues of styrofoam, I hope the owners read this and explore at least using paper plates, instead of styro. Also, the atmosphere (if you can call it that) could certainly benefit by the addition of some live plants or ethnic music, as you are basically sitting outside, all you hear currently is the canned music from the pizza place next door, and the traffic rushing by on nearby US41.
With that said, I can highly recommend the food and will most certainly will return as often as I can when in North Fort Myers, to Kabob Aroma, for the exceptionally homemade, high-quality food served under the watchful eye of the attentive, young owners.

• Visited August 2012