“Convenient location” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Late Night, Dessert
Kansas
“Convenient location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

My family visits Cantina Captiva each vacation to the island. It is conveniently located walking distance from our rental house. While the food is good, it is certainly not the best Mexican food I've eaten. Service was slow and the margaritas are "OK." It is nice for a change from the other island fare, but don't expect to be blown away by the menu.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

MN
“My Captiva Favorite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hi...Best fish tacos. Ever. I had the red fish version. Wonderful little Mexican place in the heart of Captiva. I seriously do not understand why this place is not rated higher. I always look forward to
the Cantina wheneven I am on the island. Very fun atmosphere, great staff. Thank you Captiva
Cantina!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Silver Spring, MD
“Not as good as in the past”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

We had eaten here a few years ago and loved the food and service. But it seems to have gone downhill since then. The food was mediocre and the service a bit grumpy.

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
“wish I chose a different restaurant to dine at this evening :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

We were really looking forward to dining at Captiva Cantina after a referral from friends from their visit last year. We went on a Sunday evening for dinner at 6:15pm. We got there and it took a minute to be seated - never greeted by the hostess but just brought to a table and left with filthy menus (had sticky food and pieces of tomatoe on the inside of the menu). Our waiter finally showed up - never introduced himself or greeted us. Got one of the drink orders wrong but left before we could tell him he brought the wrong thing. Chips and salsa arrived. The salsa was FABULOUS but the chips were spongy - not wet but they had some 'give' to them. The Chili Relenos was flavorless and the ingredients seemed like the dish had been prepared prior then reheated in a microwave. The pepper was soggy and certainly was not fresh. However the mixed vegetables served on the side were crunchy, bright in color and tasted fresh! My husband ordered a glass of water to have with the last of his meal and it never came. Meanwhile to women who arrived after we asked for our water received theirs. We had to ask again for water and it took a particularly long time to arrive!! At no time was there ever more than 3 tabletops dining at one time and two wait staff.
We had a 10% coupon and when we mentioned it to the waiter he deducted 10% but then ADDED 18% gratuity for just the two of us. You would think if a restaurant was slower that the service would be better since you cannot blame the lack of service on the fact it was busy. We were very disappointed in the quality of the food; the unwelcoming service; dark and tacky atmosphere; and the fact the waiter added on a tip after we mentioned the coupon. For one appetizer and one meal the bill came to $40 + before the 10% coupon. Expensive meal for what you got.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Valrico, Florida
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My wife and I stayed in Captiva for a week. We went to the Cantina Captiva twice. The food was great. The wings were some of the best I've eaten in a long time. The service was great and the atmosphere was cozy. I will eat there again.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere