“Perfect Thanksgiving Weekend!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Captiva Island
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Perfect Thanksgiving Weekend!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

Wow!! What a great vacation. It was my daughter's 14th birthday and the staff was amazing. They sang to her upon arrival, Doug made sure she had a special chocolate mousse cake for her birthday in addition to the huge Thanksgiving buffet, and the singer at The Crow's Nest sang to her Wed. night. Everyone made us feel welcome and special.
We reserved a one bedroom suite with two queen beds and a sleep sofa. It was a great way to travel with two teen girls. The room was spacious, clean and bright with two TVs and internet access. Our suite looked over the marina and we enjoyed the boats coming and going. It was not noisy, just fun. Everyone was super nice. The breakfast buffet was also included with the room. The continental breakfast was plentiful with lots of fresh fruit, pastry, bagels, cereal and more.
For Thanksgiving we enjoyed the buffet at The Old Captiva House. Wow! What a huge display of food. The seafood table was outstanding with large shrimp, crab claws, oysters and muscles. That was next to the cheese table that was filled with 12 different types of cheese and baked brie. We feasted on traditional turkey with all the trimmings and also pigged out of roast beef and lamb. We were all so full we could hardly move, but then came desert. With at least six different deserts to choose from, coffee and tea, our meal was perfect. The best part was the special Mousse cake Doug arranged for my daughter. The pianist played “Happy Birthday”, the entire restaurant sang and we smiled until it hurt. What an amazing meal.
We also enjoyed cocktail hour at the Oasis Pool Bar each day. Wonderful drinks and excellent food. The pool was heated and very clean with fresh towels and friendly bar staff.
One of the highlights of our trip was our kayak tour through the mangrove trees. Our guide made sure we saw several Manatee and lots of native birds. He also stopped and pulled up a live conch for the kids to hold. He was very knowledgeable, kind and experienced. I highly recommend the two hour tour. If we went by ourselves, we would have missed many cool sites that were hidden in the mangroves.
The beach was gorgeous. We came home with a full bag of shells. The fireworks on Friday night was spectacular. The Tween Waters Inn puts on an amazing display of lights and holiday festivities on the Friday after Thanksgiving. It was fun for the entire family.
Bottom line… on a scale of 1 to 10, this trip was an 11. We plan to do it again next year. Thanks Tween Waters family. We’ll be back!

Room Tip: Family of 4 with two teens loved the one bedroom suite. It included the breakfast buffet which was...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Andrea R.,
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experiences with others. On behalf of all our staff let me say that we are very glad that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Let me say that I know how special our children’s birthdays are to us as parents, having 2 young children of my own, given the precious little amount of time we get to share with them. We are always honored when guests choose to spend special events and/or occasions with us. Thanksgiving weekend is a very special time for us at Tween Waters with our annual Thanksgiving Day Buffet on Thursday and our annual Christmas Tree lighting and fireworks display on the beach on Friday. Thanksgiving Day weekend kicks off our Captiva Holiday Village celebration which is 4 weekends of fun filled unique island holiday style activates leading up to Christmas. Thank you again for staying with us at Tween Waters Inn Island resort and Spa and we hope that you will make your stay with us an annual Thanksgiving event.

898 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011 via mobile

We arrived at sunset to a dusty, dirty room, but wait!! Housekeeping arrived immediately and corrected the problems! The sunset was breathtaking and all was well. Tween waters has everything to offer for a peaceful, relaxing vacation. We stayed in a king studio facing the Gulf. The beach is across a small street, chairs and umbrellas are available to rent. The shelling, swimming, fishing was all there for the taking!! The restaurants both were good, and there is also a free Continental Breakfast. The staff at the marina were knowledgable and super friendly. We rented a boat and were able to navigate to Caya Casta thanks to their expertise. Also, the pool/spa area was immaculate. The salt water pool was welcoming for all ages. The servers at the pool were nice and served delicious burgers. All said, we had a wonderful vacation!! Back to work:(

• Stayed November 2011
Savannah, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

A three-day weekend led us to want to investigate Sanibel/Captiva Island. At the time we made our reservations, our choices were limited. We were fortunate to get a room and it was facing the bay. A palm tree in front of the window blocked our entire view, but it was so cold, that we were not going to be sitting on the lanai anyway. This is more of a family and pet friendly type property, not the B&B romantic getaway that we were looking for. There is a private beach just across the street and it was fantastic for finding some of the famous shells this area is known for. We enjoyed walking the beach and taking in the sunshine. (We did not pay for the use of a chair or umbrella, which can be rented.) The breakfast (complementary) had a good variety of items and served its purpose. The carafe of coffee on the table was definitely appreciated. We did not take advantage of the kayak rentals, pools, or tennis courts due to the weather. We did go in the jacuzzi, but after 15 minutes we were so unbelievably itchy, a shower was a must. I think someone went a little chemical happy that day. Anyway, we had a clean room - clean bathroom, overall it was pretty generic with ample parking. Would I stay there again, probably not. There are too many other places I'd rather travel to.

Room Tip: I would think that this location would be good if you were traveling with older children.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Sanibel Island, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

There are too many other places to stay for you to waste your money here. I stayed in the Palmetto building facing the bay.

First the good:
1. Beds & pillows - VERY COMFORTABLE
2. We arrived at 11:00am and published check in time is 4:00. We were able to get into our room and have a full day at the pool.
3. Great view from screened in porch.
4. Front desk staff was lovely.

Now the not so good:
1. bath towels were on par with those you get at the YMCA
2. shower knob was falling off the wall and water pressure was terrible.
3. screens in porch were very ripped that it did not keep out any bugs.
4. electrical outlet was falling off wall in bedroom.
5. family of ants streaming out of outlet and going up wall. The front desk was very nice when we called but when housekeeping arrived they spoke no english. Hard to provide good customer service when your staff does not understand the language.
6. If you want to go to the beach be prepared to spend about $20 for chairs.
7. coffee cups provided in the room had lipstick on them.
8. breakfast provided was fine unless you would like to eat healthy.
9.Lovely pool but no supervision to manage loud children when their parents pay no attention to them.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Noplacelikehome123,
Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa appreciates your stay and you sharing your experiences with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed many things about your stay but we do apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations. Our standard procedure requires an inspector from our housekeeping department to inspect each of our 118 guest rooms and 19 cottages prior to arrival. If our inspector missed a broken outlet, ripped screens, and a loose shower handle I do apologize. This to me is inexcusable and thank you for bring it to my attention. I do hope we repaired your issues promptly when you notified the front desk or offered to move you to another room in working order. If this did not occur please let me know. As for your issues by the pool and the $15 to $20 charge for beach cabanas and chairs please allow me to explain our thought process. As I mentioned we have 137 guest rooms (118 hotel rooms and 19 cottages) and if we were to provide complimentary beach chairs and/or cabanas for each of our guests I am sure you could only imagine what our beach would be like. Currently we set up about 16 cabanas and 20 seaside chair sets which we feel provides for a nice tranquil beach environment. The fee, in addition to helping keep supply and demand in balance, helps offset the cost of the equipment and staff who monitor the beach and have to set up and remove the equipment each day. We have never charged a resort fee and we feel the cost of running the beach service should be allocated to those who what to use it and not the resort community as a whole. I am a little confused as to why you described our complimentary breakfast as “unhealthy.” Currently we have a very large selection of fresh cut fruits, yogurts, and cereals (in addition to many fresh baked pastries) to choose from.
Thank you for taking the time to review Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. I appreciate your comments and we will work on making improvements in the areas you highlighted in your review. I hope you understand our thoughts on our beach policies but please feel free to speak with me personally if you have other thoughts as to how we can improve our complimentary breakfast or our guest’s experiences. We do hope you will stay with us again.
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011 via mobile

Room 220, bayside queen suite. When we checked in Friday night there was no hot water and we ran the tap for 10 minutes. When maintenance showed up 15 minutes later the water was hot and he told us we have to let it run because our room is in the building that is far from the heater. This is a $290/night room. Certainly not what we expected. My husband and I have stayed here before and this time I brought my 78 year old parents. We had hot water Saturday and Sunday morning but it was luke warm by Sunday night and come Monday morning there was no hot water. The front desk said they would send maintenance but a half hour later no one came. I called again and was told they were working on it and they would give me a key for another room so we could use the shower, i picked up the key, but that room had no hot water either. Then they gave us a key to another room 10 doors down and that room had hot water. Picture two senior citizens shuffling 10 doors down to use the shower which means taking your clothes and toiletry bag. I know I was uncomfortable. We got back to the room early afternoon and still no hot water. You would think management would be checking on repairs and keep the guest informed, maybe leave them a message saying sorry, maybe switch rooms, but none of that. We packed up and checked out. I had to explain to the two working the front desk what we'd been through, apparently no notes were kept and the woman I was dealing with at 7am wasn't there. I asked for a manager and was told they were all in a meeting and I was given a business card. I was told there is a $50 fee for early check out! But due to the circumstances they wouldn't charge me. Nice.
My parents handled the situation ok but I was upset because I wanted to give them a nice weekend away and it wasn't what I expected. It really is the little things that ruin it. The room was nice. We gave my parents the queen bedroom and we took the sofa bed, awful mattress. Loved The Crows Nest. Didn't use the pool. Great location. Boat ramp needs to be repaired as there is a huge pot hole that the trailer sinks into on one side which puts the boat at a scary angle. When we pulled out, it took three attempts to get the boat on the trailer because the trailer is in the pot hole and at an odd angle. We were lucky there was no damage.
When we got home I was able to reach Brett who said he was the front desk manager. He was unaware of the water problem in our room (the staff on the desk need to start making notes of guest issues) so I told him. He credited us one nights stay.

• Stayed October 2011
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
To the reviewer known as Kelchick-
Once more, please accept our apology for the issue you experienced with hot water in your bayside suite.
We discovered there was an intermittent problem with a circulation pump which resulted in the issue arising twice during your stay. The heater is remote from the building that was occupied and without the pump running it took some time for the hot water to reach your unit. In that the maintenance team was addressing the issue in the heater location they did not respond to your suite immediately. I’m sorry they did not alert you they were working on the problem there. After identifying the issue the pump was replaced and the problem was resolved. I also apologize that the closest unit for your temporary use which was not on the malfunctioning hot water system was some five doors away. We realize using it, rather than your own shower/bath, was quite an inconvenience. We appreciate the patience of your family. I am glad you later spoke to Brett, Front Desk Manager, and the $255 adjustment was made on your account as an indication of our concern for the situation.
And I want to sincerely thank you for giving us another chance by returning so soon to Tween Waters Inn. I believe your return booking was made the same day your review appeared on Trip Advisor. I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday with us during this return visit was very pleasing and memorable and that you enjoyed both the traditional Thanksgiving buffet on the November 24th and, on November 25th, the resort’s annual Holiday Lighting ceremony and fireworks display!
Again, thank you for your helpful information and especially for your decision to return for another stay at Tween Waters Inn.
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We have been regulars at Tween Waters for almost 20 years now.

The property is located on a large piece of land, situated between a white sand beach and the bay, and includes a large salt water pool, a good pool bar (Oasis), a not-so-good restaurant with a good bar (Crow's Nest), an upscale restaurant with above average food (Old Captiva House), a marina, marina store, gift shop, decent spa, tennis, bike rentals, canoe rentals, kayak rentals, boat charters and rentals, and tours.

The rooms vary greatly, from hotel style, to three bedrooms with kitchens, to unique cottages. Some have been renovated more recently than others (when you book, don't forget to ask for a recently renovated room).

The beach is fantastic, usually empty, offers spectacular sunsets and is full of shells. The pool is a great size and is often visited wedding parties (the resort hosts a lot weddings) and by boaters who dock at the marina. Waiter/waitress service is available at the pool for both food and drinks.

About a mile down the street is the small town of Captiva, with a few shops, bars and restaurants, including the Mucky Duck pub - a great beach bar; the Bubble Room restaurant (skip the main course; just get appetizers and desert (Butter Crunch / Butterfingers is the best, followed by Orange Crunch)); and the Green Flash restaurant (decent food; great views). A few miles back is Sanibel, which, although far from big, is larger than Captiva. Sanibel has many more restaurants and shops.

The Crow's Nest has hermit crab races twice a week - an early show for families and a late show for adults. Tim has been hosting the races for decades. He is funny, but the show is tailored more for adults than children (as a result, my children really enjoy the show). I wouldn't go to Tween Waters for the hermit crab races, but if you are there anyway, it is worth a stop-by (you'll laugh more than once).

A nice Continental breakfast is included.

What's not to like? But if you are looking for night life, Captiva and Tween Waters may not be for you. If you want valet parking and to be able to wear your blue blazer at breakfast, head to the Ritz in Naples. If you want to spend a bit less money, there are plenty of "this place is no different than anywhere else" type places on Sanibel. But if you are looking for a relaxing, unique, fun, family-friendly place, reasonably priced, with a great beach, you might want to consider Tween Waters.

Biddeford, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I spent a week with my sisters at Tween Waters and it was great. The resort was the perfect place to relax, walk, ride bikes, read, swim, play tennis....and of course collect shells. When we initially got to the resort we were put in a room that was right next to 2 large hot water heaters - room 338 I believe, and the noise was quite loud all night long. We went to the front desk the next morning and without hesitation we were put in a beautiful suite at not extra charge. Jeff, Eli and Pauline were so nice to deal with. We would definetely go back oh and, the weather was amazing!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Renee M,
The managers and staff at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize for your issue with the hot water heaters and your inconvenience of having to move rooms. However, I am happy that Jeff, Eli and Pauline where able to accommodate your party and that you were satisfied with the outcome. Although we cannot move the hot water heaters I will certainly look into the noise issue and see if there is a better way for us to sound proof them. Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing very helpful insight which will help us to improve our guest experiences in the future. We hope to see you again soon.

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!