“Save your Money and go somewhere else!” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Rates $140/night
Ranked #3 of 4 hotels in Captiva Island
Sanibel Island, Florida
“Save your Money and go somewhere else!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2011

There are too many other places to stay for you to waste your money here. I stayed in the Palmetto building facing the bay.

First the good:
1. Beds & pillows - VERY COMFORTABLE
2. We arrived at 11:00am and published check in time is 4:00. We were able to get into our room and have a full day at the pool.
3. Great view from screened in porch.
4. Front desk staff was lovely.

Now the not so good:
1. bath towels were on par with those you get at the YMCA
2. shower knob was falling off the wall and water pressure was terrible.
3. screens in porch were very ripped that it did not keep out any bugs.
4. electrical outlet was falling off wall in bedroom.
5. family of ants streaming out of outlet and going up wall. The front desk was very nice when we called but when housekeeping arrived they spoke no english. Hard to provide good customer service when your staff does not understand the language.
6. If you want to go to the beach be prepared to spend about $20 for chairs.
7. coffee cups provided in the room had lipstick on them.
8. breakfast provided was fine unless you would like to eat healthy.
9.Lovely pool but no supervision to manage loud children when their parents pay no attention to them.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Noplacelikehome123,
Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa appreciates your stay and you sharing your experiences with us. We are very glad that you enjoyed many things about your stay but we do apologize that we did not meet all of your expectations. Our standard procedure requires an inspector from our housekeeping department to inspect each of our 118 guest rooms and 19 cottages prior to arrival. If our inspector missed a broken outlet, ripped screens, and a loose shower handle I do apologize. This to me is inexcusable and thank you for bring it to my attention. I do hope we repaired your issues promptly when you notified the front desk or offered to move you to another room in working order. If this did not occur please let me know. As for your issues by the pool and the $15 to $20 charge for beach cabanas and chairs please allow me to explain our thought process. As I mentioned we have 137 guest rooms (118 hotel rooms and 19 cottages) and if we were to provide complimentary beach chairs and/or cabanas for each of our guests I am sure you could only imagine what our beach would be like. Currently we set up about 16 cabanas and 20 seaside chair sets which we feel provides for a nice tranquil beach environment. The fee, in addition to helping keep supply and demand in balance, helps offset the cost of the equipment and staff who monitor the beach and have to set up and remove the equipment each day. We have never charged a resort fee and we feel the cost of running the beach service should be allocated to those who what to use it and not the resort community as a whole. I am a little confused as to why you described our complimentary breakfast as “unhealthy.” Currently we have a very large selection of fresh cut fruits, yogurts, and cereals (in addition to many fresh baked pastries) to choose from.
Thank you for taking the time to review Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. I appreciate your comments and we will work on making improvements in the areas you highlighted in your review. I hope you understand our thoughts on our beach policies but please feel free to speak with me personally if you have other thoughts as to how we can improve our complimentary breakfast or our guest’s experiences. We do hope you will stay with us again.

890 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
South Florida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011 via mobile

Room 220, bayside queen suite. When we checked in Friday night there was no hot water and we ran the tap for 10 minutes. When maintenance showed up 15 minutes later the water was hot and he told us we have to let it run because our room is in the building that is far from the heater. This is a $290/night room. Certainly not what we expected. My husband and I have stayed here before and this time I brought my 78 year old parents. We had hot water Saturday and Sunday morning but it was luke warm by Sunday night and come Monday morning there was no hot water. The front desk said they would send maintenance but a half hour later no one came. I called again and was told they were working on it and they would give me a key for another room so we could use the shower, i picked up the key, but that room had no hot water either. Then they gave us a key to another room 10 doors down and that room had hot water. Picture two senior citizens shuffling 10 doors down to use the shower which means taking your clothes and toiletry bag. I know I was uncomfortable. We got back to the room early afternoon and still no hot water. You would think management would be checking on repairs and keep the guest informed, maybe leave them a message saying sorry, maybe switch rooms, but none of that. We packed up and checked out. I had to explain to the two working the front desk what we'd been through, apparently no notes were kept and the woman I was dealing with at 7am wasn't there. I asked for a manager and was told they were all in a meeting and I was given a business card. I was told there is a $50 fee for early check out! But due to the circumstances they wouldn't charge me. Nice.
My parents handled the situation ok but I was upset because I wanted to give them a nice weekend away and it wasn't what I expected. It really is the little things that ruin it. The room was nice. We gave my parents the queen bedroom and we took the sofa bed, awful mattress. Loved The Crows Nest. Didn't use the pool. Great location. Boat ramp needs to be repaired as there is a huge pot hole that the trailer sinks into on one side which puts the boat at a scary angle. When we pulled out, it took three attempts to get the boat on the trailer because the trailer is in the pot hole and at an odd angle. We were lucky there was no damage.
When we got home I was able to reach Brett who said he was the front desk manager. He was unaware of the water problem in our room (the staff on the desk need to start making notes of guest issues) so I told him. He credited us one nights stay.

• Stayed October 2011
GeneralManager23, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 30, 2011
To the reviewer known as Kelchick-
Once more, please accept our apology for the issue you experienced with hot water in your bayside suite.
We discovered there was an intermittent problem with a circulation pump which resulted in the issue arising twice during your stay. The heater is remote from the building that was occupied and without the pump running it took some time for the hot water to reach your unit. In that the maintenance team was addressing the issue in the heater location they did not respond to your suite immediately. I’m sorry they did not alert you they were working on the problem there. After identifying the issue the pump was replaced and the problem was resolved. I also apologize that the closest unit for your temporary use which was not on the malfunctioning hot water system was some five doors away. We realize using it, rather than your own shower/bath, was quite an inconvenience. We appreciate the patience of your family. I am glad you later spoke to Brett, Front Desk Manager, and the $255 adjustment was made on your account as an indication of our concern for the situation.
And I want to sincerely thank you for giving us another chance by returning so soon to Tween Waters Inn. I believe your return booking was made the same day your review appeared on Trip Advisor. I hope your Thanksgiving Holiday with us during this return visit was very pleasing and memorable and that you enjoyed both the traditional Thanksgiving buffet on the November 24th and, on November 25th, the resort’s annual Holiday Lighting ceremony and fireworks display!
Again, thank you for your helpful information and especially for your decision to return for another stay at Tween Waters Inn.
NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

We have been regulars at Tween Waters for almost 20 years now.

The property is located on a large piece of land, situated between a white sand beach and the bay, and includes a large salt water pool, a good pool bar (Oasis), a not-so-good restaurant with a good bar (Crow's Nest), an upscale restaurant with above average food (Old Captiva House), a marina, marina store, gift shop, decent spa, tennis, bike rentals, canoe rentals, kayak rentals, boat charters and rentals, and tours.

The rooms vary greatly, from hotel style, to three bedrooms with kitchens, to unique cottages. Some have been renovated more recently than others (when you book, don't forget to ask for a recently renovated room).

The beach is fantastic, usually empty, offers spectacular sunsets and is full of shells. The pool is a great size and is often visited wedding parties (the resort hosts a lot weddings) and by boaters who dock at the marina. Waiter/waitress service is available at the pool for both food and drinks.

About a mile down the street is the small town of Captiva, with a few shops, bars and restaurants, including the Mucky Duck pub - a great beach bar; the Bubble Room restaurant (skip the main course; just get appetizers and desert (Butter Crunch / Butterfingers is the best, followed by Orange Crunch)); and the Green Flash restaurant (decent food; great views). A few miles back is Sanibel, which, although far from big, is larger than Captiva. Sanibel has many more restaurants and shops.

The Crow's Nest has hermit crab races twice a week - an early show for families and a late show for adults. Tim has been hosting the races for decades. He is funny, but the show is tailored more for adults than children (as a result, my children really enjoy the show). I wouldn't go to Tween Waters for the hermit crab races, but if you are there anyway, it is worth a stop-by (you'll laugh more than once).

A nice Continental breakfast is included.

What's not to like? But if you are looking for night life, Captiva and Tween Waters may not be for you. If you want valet parking and to be able to wear your blue blazer at breakfast, head to the Ritz in Naples. If you want to spend a bit less money, there are plenty of "this place is no different than anywhere else" type places on Sanibel. But if you are looking for a relaxing, unique, fun, family-friendly place, reasonably priced, with a great beach, you might want to consider Tween Waters.

Biddeford, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

I spent a week with my sisters at Tween Waters and it was great. The resort was the perfect place to relax, walk, ride bikes, read, swim, play tennis....and of course collect shells. When we initially got to the resort we were put in a room that was right next to 2 large hot water heaters - room 338 I believe, and the noise was quite loud all night long. We went to the front desk the next morning and without hesitation we were put in a beautiful suite at not extra charge. Jeff, Eli and Pauline were so nice to deal with. We would definetely go back oh and, the weather was amazing!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Renee M,
The managers and staff at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa thank you for staying with us and taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do apologize for your issue with the hot water heaters and your inconvenience of having to move rooms. However, I am happy that Jeff, Eli and Pauline where able to accommodate your party and that you were satisfied with the outcome. Although we cannot move the hot water heaters I will certainly look into the noise issue and see if there is a better way for us to sound proof them. Thank you again for staying with us and for sharing very helpful insight which will help us to improve our guest experiences in the future. We hope to see you again soon.
Margate City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Our vacation with 7 couples at Tween Waters Inn was excellent. We had a one bedroom suite and would book the same on a repeat visit. The bed was comfy, the huge bathroom had a jacuzzi tub/shower and his/her sinks. The balcony overlooked the bay where we could see sunrise each morning and you could see the amazing sunsets over the ocean from our front doorway each evening. The two restaurants and the food at the pool bar were perfect. The upscale restaurant was five star all the way. Cocktails, food and service were all amazing. We applauded Executive Chef Jason Miller for delicious, impeccably presented food.
The layout of Tween Waters was easy to navigate and everything you need for a relaxing vacation with plenty of activity options was right here on the property. The work out room was clean and had a good variety of equipment with a nice view overlooking the tennis courts and the pool. The pool, ocean and by were only steps away. It was a short walk up the beach (15 min) to the Mucky Duck and the surrounding little town. Perfect spot for a vacation with friends. We will be back. Can't get there soon enough!

Room Tip: Our friends each had different rooms. We all liked our choices. My husband and I enjoyed the 1 bed...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 18, 2011
Dear Roxanneat,
Thank you taking the time to share your experience at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort and Spa. We are glad you and the six other couples in your party enjoyed your stay. Our 13 acre property is large enough to offer something for almost everyone (pool, beach, spa, dinning, marina, fishing, shelling, tennis, kayaking, etc) yet small enough to navigate and experience an island resort feel. We are glad that you enjoyed your room as well. Sounds like you were in our Mangrove Building. We have just finished a total gut and remodel of the 2 three bedroom units in that building. In January of 2012 we have scheduled the total remodel of four more of the one bedroom units. The last 6 in will be done in August 2012. We will continue to post pictures and updates on our facebook page. I will pass along your applause for Chef Jason Miller. He certainly does a wonderful job and The Old Captiva House enjoys a 93% approval rating which is the highest of any restaurant on Sanibel and Captiva (according to Trip Advisor reviews). Thank you again for your review and we look forward to seeing you and your friends on your next trip.
Saddle River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Great place! Large property with many options. Salt water pool is wonderful - you'll never be able to tell the difference!! Restaurants are very good...especially breakfast...,fun nightlife, and the very best is across the tiny road to the prettiest beaches in the area!! Great for shelling, skimming, sunning and sandcastle-making!! - And the BEST sunsets!! Cottages are adorable, rooms are really nice - check the hotel map for the area you'd like to stay.....many different styles and views available. You can get to Tween waters by boat or car. Many activities available! Very good restaurants off the property too. Many deals available during the year....sign up for their emails www.tween-waters.com

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Dear Pattyan1,
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at ‘Tween Waters.Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We do hear lots of compliments on our very large swimming pool especially since we installed our geothermal heating and cooling system. We can now keep our pool water temperature a constant 87 degrees in an efficient and environmentally friendly way. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of the amenities that we offer from our complementary continental breakfast and 3 restaurants featuring live nightly entertainment to our beautiful beach featuring world class shelling and sunsets. Thank you again for your review and we do hope that you will stay with us in the future.
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

First I went alone, then, later, my daughter joined me. She & I returned every year until she married and then her husband came along. When the girls were born they came with us, making 4th generation visiting Captiva.

'Tween Waters has everything. This year we spent the first day, in pouring rain, on the beach, in the Gulf, in the pool hooting & hollering and having a ball! It was warm and lovely. The weather usually is at this time of year. My granddaughters even found kids to play with.

We take the same room each year. It overlooks the bay and we can see ospreys fishing, manatees, fish jumping, right from our screened in (huge) balcony. It's perfect for a family and has a full kitchen with all amenities. The last few years we fit a crib into the living room even with the queen sofa bed pulled out.

The breakfast buffet is nice; there isn't much for "Weight Watchers" but I hardboiled my own eggs and there's Greek yogurt and always the option of ordering from the menu. We LOVE the waitstaff and being greeted with hugs each year.

There are tennis courts, a spa, and 2 excellent restaurants on the property. The Crow's Nest (the more casual of the two) has (hermit) crab races and music a couple of times a week. Since this is the "low" season there aren't as many activities as there are later on, but still plenty to do. There are kayaks and canoes to rent, fishing trips to go on, and, of course, shelling (which is what made Sanibel & Captiva famous to begin with).

"Tween Waters is always a great spot for a destination wedding or gathering; its situation on the Island makes it ideal for watching the sunsets. We're thinking of having a big party there for my next "huge" birthday. We love it!

Room Tip: There are cottages. The rooms overlooking the pool are newer but we prefer the bay view. Corner ro...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
GeneralManager22, General Manager at Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Dear Riverlove,
Thank you very much for your continued support of Tween Waters Inn and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay. I always enjoy hearing from guests who love to share this very unique island and resort with family and friends. I am also part of a 4th generation family that has been visiting the islands since the early 70’s. I now call these special islands my home along with my wife and two children. I hope you were able to experience some of the many updates to our rooms and the property. We have been hard at work on over the past year. A great way to keep up to date with what is happening on Sanibel, Captiva and Tween Waters is by becoming a friend of ours on facebook. We have close to 11,000 friends that check in with us regularly and share their experiences with other fans. I am glad you enjoyed your experiences at both of our restaurants, The Old Captiva House and The Crow’s Nest (based on your Trip Advisor reviews of both). Our servers (and staff) take great pride in providing a warm and friendly island experience to all of our guests. I will be sure to pass your comments along to them. Thank you again for your continued support and please contact us if we can be of any assistance in planning your next visit or your next “huge” birthday party.

Been to Tween Waters Inn Island Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!