“Pleasantly Surprised!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 4 hotels in Captiva Island
Mustang
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have to say, after reading some of the 'bad' reviews of this resort, my expectations were somewhat lowered, but after staying here 7 days, I am now wondering if those people stayed at a different ' South Seas' Resort. Our stay was nothing less than relaxing and spectacular. The property is beautiful, the staff was friendly, the amenities were perfect. My guess is that the poor reviews were to keep people away so others wont discover this gem. But...since I am a fair and honest man, I and going to write a fair and honest review. Here we go:

We checked in on a Sunday afternoon. The entrance to the resort is gorgeous and gated, and the security personnel were welcoming and very helpful in directing us to exactly where we needed to go. The main building is beautiful and, like all the building here, very clean and tastefully decorated. The young lady who checked us in made sure to answer all of our questions and saw that we made it to the Harborview Hotel without any problems. We were given key cards that acted as our room keys and a credit card for on-site purchases. Our room was spacious, clean and well decorated in a light Florida plantation style.

We stayed in room #1848, which had a view of the harbor toward the Gulf, and the marina. I highly recommend this room or #1850. We often saw dolphins swimming by. Our room was set up with 2 queen beds at our request in advance, had a safe, coffee maker, refrigerator, HUGE tub/shower combo, very nice (large) bathroom, flatscreen TV, desk, closet, dresser, and a great balcony with 2 chairs on it. There is excellent free wi-fi as well, which I am using at this moment on the last night here to write this review. The cleaning service was prompt and friendly, and always accomodated any special request for extra towels, shampoo, etc. One day my wife took a nap during the cleaning rotation and there was a phone message letting us know a number we could call if we needed the cleaning staff to come after hours that day! When does that ever happen anymore?

The resort restaurant, Harborview Point, has romantic marinaside dining and interior tables. The food is quite good. I recommend the tomato salad and the steamed mussels. It will feed two persons, trust me. I've seen some reviews complaining about the prices which made me chuckle. I guess some of those folks don't travel much to resorts. We ate there 4 times, and the service was very good, all except the last night when we got a server with a bad attitude and worse work ethic. He was tipped accordingly. But generally, it was quite good. I'd go into town to eat a good breakfast or catch a bacon/egg sandwich at the Ships Store. The buffet at Harborside is just average, but their dinners a re very good.

Rent a car before you come here, you'll need one, although they provide free trolly service around the resort. The trollys are clean and cute, but who wants to wait on a trolly? Besides, you'll want to go into town and do some things. They like to promote bike and golf cart rentals too, but there aren't the appropriate safety lanes, so I'd still rent a car.

There is an on-site provisions store called, "The Ship's Store" which has fresh sandwiches, drinks, wine, clothing, groceries...basically everything you forgot to bring. However, if you prefer a less costly alternative there are a number of good resuraunt, grocery and food options in town. I recommend Baileys Country Store in Sanibel. Great selection- good prices. I also recommend RC Otters for lunch, and The Island Cow for dinner, both on Captiva. The food is excellent at both and there is often live entertainment.

The beaches at the resort are within easy walking distance and are beautiful. They are uncrowded, and there are plenty of lounge chairs and a beachside snack shack. Ocean sunsets are NOT to be missed, and are an event here. If you stay harborside you will get the bonus of daily waterview sunrises as well! The golf course is pristine, though I don't golf, so I cant speak to the service. Mid-week we received a phone call by the management making sure we had everything we needed and all was going well, a nice touch.

The pools are beautiful, with plenty of chairs and umbrellas, live entertainment and servers taking drink/ food orders. TIP- go early to get an umbrella spot near the Gulf edge of the pool and you'll see plenty of dolphins and beautiful shorebirds while you are enjoying the pool. I recommend a drink called a "190" with a shrimp 'po-boy' sandwich. You won't regret it. At the pool is a great cafe and a really cute 50's styled Soda Shop selling pizza and ice cream and loads of candy.

I attended a sailing school while I was here (Offshore Sailing) which I also recommend if you are into that sort of thing. The school is right here on the property and the instructors are excellent. Personally, I love to sail and this is a good location to learn more skills. My wife made use of a nice spa in Sanibel which was reasonably priced and she enjoyed very much.

There is an abundance of activities in the area; sunset cruises, charter fishing, wave runners, parasailing...all the standard ocean style stuff. The water is stunning around the island, and I would never come here without planning an abundance of on-water activity. There is also great "shelling" on the Sanibel beaches.

This was our first stay at South Seas, but it won't be our last. It is a wonderful resort, and I can't imagine anything nicer for the price. I think it's perfect for a couples retreat, or a family getaway. Is it the Peabody? No. But then, it isnt supposed to be. If you are looking for an attractive, friendly, reasonably priced, safe, quiet, clean seaside resort in one of the most beautiful locations in the States, put South Seas on your short list. Well done, South Seas, well done!

Room Tip: #1848 or #1850 offer beautiful sunrises over the Gulf harbor and you'll see plenty of shorebirds...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
GMSouthSeas, General Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Scott ,
Thank you for trusting us with your vacation and sharing your experience. We strive to deliver great amenities and exceptional customer service to enhance the truly unique experience at South Seas Island Resort. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and if I can be of assistance with future trips to South Seas Island Resort, please email me at sfarrell@luxuryresorts.com.

With warm regards,
Shawn Farrell
General Manager, South Seas Island Resort

1,753 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Buffalo, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed there for a week. Great location. Had a 2 bedroom unit at the north end overlooking the harbor. Everyone was very nice and friendly. Have way through our stay, came back to the room to find a pile of towels on the dining room table. No big deal. But every day the rest of our stay, the towels stayed there. What was housekeeping thinking? But the big thing that I DIDN'T like, was at check out,hit with a $400.00 bill for resort usage. WHAT???? Yes, they charge you fees on TOP of the high cost of staying there. That's a rip and they don't tell you about it when you check in. The clerks comment, "Yes, we get a lot of complaints about it." THEN STOP CHARGING FOR IT! I will NOT go back.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3RD floor for best views.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GMSouthSeas, Front Office Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us recently and sharing your experience. I have shared your comment about the towels remaining on the dining room table with the housekeeping department, and we will figure out how and why that happened and ensure that doesn't happen again.

I assume the $400 resort usage fee you refer to is the resort fee, which is $17 per person (ages 13 and older), per night. I apologize that the fee came as a surprise, as it is not our intention to hide that fee. We have it listed on the terms & conditions page of our website and all online travel websites, our confirmation email and the registration card that is presented at check in. That fee covers unlimited access to the trolley service that runs throughout the resort village from 7am-11pm, unlimited use of resort-wide WiFi (with no limit on the # of devices), chairs, towels, umbrellas at the two staffed beach areas and the Resort Pool Complex, tennis court use, and daily electronic newspaper.

If you would like to discuss your stay further, or the potential of returning, please email me at asmith2@luxuryresorts.com. Thanks again and have a great day.

With warm regards,
Anthonia Smith
Dir. of Guest Relations, South Seas Island Resort
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed at Lands End at the northern tip of the island. There are multiple communities on the resort that offer a range of accommodations. The Lands End community, among others has its own private pool, tennis court,fitness room, and grilling areas.

The Resort is very family friendly. It offers a new pool area with private cabanas, and water slides for the kids and a nearby "old School" Ice Cream and candy Shop. Perhaps the best amenity the resort offers is the Kids Club - which is essentially a day camp. If mom and dad need a couple hours of uninterrupted relaxation THIS IS THE TICKET!! The kids love it too!!!

As for food...beware...The resort restaurants are pricy and not especially good. Although Harbourside Restaurant offers a good albeit overpriced breakfast buffet. I would advise you buy your groceries before you get onto the islands if you can. If you don't want to cook yourself try one of the OFF RESORT restaurants. If you have a car try Sunshine Cafe, or Lazy Flamingo on Sanibel. No car...no problem.. try the Green Flash or The Mucky Duck right in Captiva, you can take the resort trolley most of the way there and walk the rest.

If it is within your budget a ABSOLUTE MUST is to hire a private day long fishing charter -half days are available- through the South Seas marina. It is the best way to see the islands; make an advance reservation!!! You can break it up by asking the guide to drop you on one of the more remote shelling beaches like Cayo Costa for an hour or two during lowest tide. Also, have them take you to lunch on one of the other islands, North Captiva, Cabbage Key (my favorite), Useppa, Boca Grande,
or Pine Island. Ask them to point out wildlife along the way!! Take your catch to Lazy Flamingo if you don't want to grill your fish yourself. They will cook it for you for a nominal fee and add the fixings! Yummm!!!!

Into shelling...you need to get a tide chart - go when the tide is lowest. Take the trolley to the entrance of the resort walk to the public beach access on your right and walk back toward the resort. Better Shelling...Go to Tween Waters Inn and walk South toward Sanibel. The best shelling is arguably on Sanibel but every day is different and you can find a treasure on any of the beaches! If you are into shells DO NOT miss the Shelling Museum in Sanibel!!!

If the kids want to see a wild Alligator - you SHOULD be able to find one at Ding Darling Wildlife Refuge on Sanibel. Don't be lazy rent a bike or walk and take the sand paths located throughout Sanibel-- the bike rental guys should provide a map of all bike paths. You can always drive thru the main refuge and stop at the wildlife center on your way out. Make sure to do it early in the morning by noon the wildlife has taken shelter...and you probably should too!!

Other good ideas. Rent a Kayak and take an early morning paddle through the mangroves. Look for Manatees in the South Seas Resort Marina in the morning or evening.

Avoid..Overpriced cocktails and bad beach fare at the Resorts "Sunset Beach" - take your own picnik!

• Stayed June 2012
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We just took a 10-person family here for a three night trip - my only significant complaint is that I wish we could have stayed longer.

The beach was not at all crowded, the staff was very friendly and helpful and our accommodations (2 marina guest rooms and one marina villa) were more than satisfactory. Water is warm and an abundance of shells are waiting to be discovered. Hammocks & beach chairs are available at no extra cost (this is all part of the daily resort fee) and towels are stationed at the pools and beach as well. The main pools are right up on the ocean (bayside) and the view is spectacular.

The Marina was one of my favorite parts of the resort - we arrived at SSIR over a weekend and there were an abundance of multi million dollar boats docked - throw in the daily manatee sightings and whitewashed docks, it's a beautiful sight. I would definitely recommend staying somewhere in the Marina area, because that's where the main pools, most of the restaurants, the shops, and the beach all are. You can ride the trolly, but it's a 2 & 1/2 mile ride from the lobby to the Marina area, so if you're staying up there I could see that being a big hassle.

The food is expensive: It's expensive on the resort. It's expensive off. The whole island is expensive in this regard, so if you aren't prepared for this, you're going to have a bad time. We took a shuttle from the Southwest Florida Intl. Airport which stopped at a Publix grocery store for us on the mainland so that we could get groceries. We ate lunches together in the villa (which had a fully furnished kitchen) and splurged eating out for dinners. This was a great choice, and made the overall food expense less than what it would have been otherwise. We ate at the Mucky Duck (great sunsets, ok food), RC Otters (ok overall, not impressed), and on resort at the Harborside grill. Our best meal was at the Harborside grill - a bit more expensive than off resort (but not by much) and the quality was much better. Plus, you don't have to travel at all.

Do your activities off resort: We took the trolly and kyaked off resort with Captiva Kayak Co. Ride the trolly and walk for 5 minutes into town and you're there. It was much less expensive than what was offered on resort and from what I could see, a better experience. Do the Mangrove trail!

It takes a long time to get there: It took us an hour from the airport to drive to SSIR - which is why I wish we could have stayed longer. Because of all the travel, it made our three night stay feel shorter than we would have liked.

My last bit of praise is this: we had a scheduling gap between normal check-out time and our airport shuttle arrival. We had to move our luggage from the two guest rooms to the villa (which they were able to give us a late checkout). The staff was completely willing and happy to help make all this happen. Our bellhop Oshin was awesome and drove us from the guest rooms, to the villa, to the lobby, and back gain (not to mention lugging bags) all with a smile on his face - very kind indeed!

Overall, if you are pinching pennies, this is not the place to go. If you want to invest in a comfortable, beautiful & non-crowded vacation, in my opinion this place was definitely worth the cost. We will be coming back, and this time for longer.

Room Tip: Stay in the Marina area.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Williamstown, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

For the money that I sent on this place it is in need of very much up date. It is no way a 5 star. I would not return. The workers where all very nice and helpful.The grounds are very nice.The 17 dollars a day to use the use the property is crazy. Live and learn.There is a lot of stuff for kids. Most every one there was from some form of time share.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I really liked this place, it is like a Hyatt Resort (Lost Pines, HIll Country Resort, etc...) except on the ocean. Very kid friendly and easy for families. Our bungalow was 20 feet away from the ocean with views of dolphins, and a 2 minute walk from the marina which harbored $100 million dollar yachts and had manatees everywhere. The beach was clean and had a bar (which was much appreciated) and the kids loved the 2 pools, especially the water slide. The food wasn't amazing, but was convenient and good enough. I would recommend it to anyone as an alternative to Disney, or before/after visiting Orlando and the surrounding madness!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Enfield, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here a year ago, and were very disappointed. We were given a run down 2 bedroom unit in the Tennis Villas, and asked to be moved. They put us in a much nicer unit in Harborside, but it was still in need of major upgrading. Due to our complaints they invited us back, promising they would "make it up to us." We just returned in April, and to "make it up to us" we were given a 2 bedroom beachside unit for the price of a harborside unit on sale. This saved us about $250 a nite, which we appreciated. However- the rooms were very run down. Pullout sofa was broken; wallpaper pealing in bathroom, bathroom faucet broken, air conditioner extremely loud and vibrating everything around it, unit in need of new paint and furniture. This resort will not survive if they continue to charge their normal high rates. They do not seem to understand that guests willing to pay their rates expect top of the line accomodations. The rooms feel more like what I would expect at a Red Roof Inn. The only reason they can get what they do is because of their beautiful location and beaches.

Room Tip: Demand one that has recently been updated.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
GMSouthSeas, General Manager at South Seas Island Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hello, ScubaDennis,
Thank you for coming back to South Seas. I apologize that our efforts to give you a upgraded unit on your return visit was spoiled with a miss on our inspection process. We are very aware of the amount of money our guests pay to be in Captiva and stay with us and I assure you we are working very closely with all owners and all the different areas throughout the resort to continue to update our room products. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and I hope if your travels bring you back our way you will reach out to me directly at sfarrell@luxuryresorts.com.

With Warm Regards,
Shawn Farrell,
General Manager, South Seas Island Resort

Been to South Seas Island Resort? Share your experiences!