This is a smaller hotel where you reserve specific, custom rooms. You can see that on their website. Prices correspond to the custom rooms. I reserved a pool side room months in advance for a 3-day romantic getaway with my wife. We didn't realize it at the time but it was Biketoberfest weekend, which is a huge deal in New Smyrna Beach. When we got to the hotel, they tried to put us in a cheaper room facing the allyway. I told them I reserved a more expensive poolside room and had a copy of the reservation and prepayment. They then asked if I was with the Biketoberfest party that had the week-long reservation. When I said "no, what does that have to do with anything?" they then admitted they screwed up and couldn't put us in any poolside rooms.
So worst case, they intentionally ignored our reserved room, selling us out for a week-long deal...OR, best case, they just made a mistake and overlooked our reservation. Given the conversation I had with them, I know what my bet is. In either case, they marred what was supposed to be a great weekend for us.
To their credit (which accounts for the 1-start rating), they offered us a suite and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. The suite was terrible - was facing north - noisy traffic on a bridge. Plus, we had to walk though the public lobby and souvenir shop to get to pool. The suite was also on 3rd floor, so we carted luggage up and down 3 flights of stairs (no elevators). There was no dresser or chest of drawers for our clothes. We called it the cave because even with all the lights on, it was just dark. We found ourselves trying to find things to do just to avoid spending time in "the cave".
Would we stay here again? No. The poolside rooms do look to be charming (but unfortunately we wouldn't know), but we don't trust this organization given their rather cavalier approach to honoring reserved rooms and what a promise means.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Riverview Hotel. Enjoy a unique historic experience for both romantic getaways and family vacations alike. Established in 1885 the Victorian style Riverview Hotel is a picturesque icon of New Smyrna Beach, Florida. Overlooking the Indian River and lively Flagler Ave., we offer the perfect location for boutique shopping or a day at the beach and a variety of unique bars and restaurants at night. You're visit will include a complimentary expanded continental breakfast brought to your room every morning, mint-chocolates placed on your plush robes at turn down, free Wi-Fi, complimentary bike rentals and access to our tropical pool area. During your stay we invite you to visit our "World Class Spa", The Spa At Riverview, where you can relax and unwind all day. For a romantic meal overlooking the river, delicious food, beautiful sunsets and superb entertainment, there's no place in town better than The Grille At Riverview located adjacent to us.No matter when you visit there's always something fun and exciting to do. One of the trendiest little beach towns in the U.S. through its booming art and surf community, New Smyrna Beach has become a diverse vacation destination hot spot. Both Flagler Ave and Canal Street provide events almost every week for your entertainment. Whether you enjoy wiggling your toes in the sand, boating, fishing, surfing, hiking, kayaking, biking, shopping, dining or just plain relaxing, New Smyrna Beach is the place for your next get-a-way. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your The Riverview Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riverview New Smyrna Beach
- Riverview Hotel New Smyrna Beach