“Despicable experience - they didn't honor reserved room” 1 of 5 stars

The Riverview Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   103 Flagler Ave., New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169   |
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Despicable experience - they didn't honor reserved room”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a smaller hotel where you reserve specific, custom rooms. You can see that on their website. Prices correspond to the custom rooms. I reserved a pool side room months in advance for a 3-day romantic getaway with my wife. We didn't realize it at the time but it was Biketoberfest weekend, which is a huge deal in New Smyrna Beach. When we got to the hotel, they tried to put us in a cheaper room facing the allyway. I told them I reserved a more expensive poolside room and had a copy of the reservation and prepayment. They then asked if I was with the Biketoberfest party that had the week-long reservation. When I said "no, what does that have to do with anything?" they then admitted they screwed up and couldn't put us in any poolside rooms.
So worst case, they intentionally ignored our reserved room, selling us out for a week-long deal...OR, best case, they just made a mistake and overlooked our reservation. Given the conversation I had with them, I know what my bet is. In either case, they marred what was supposed to be a great weekend for us.
To their credit (which accounts for the 1-start rating), they offered us a suite and gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. The suite was terrible - was facing north - noisy traffic on a bridge. Plus, we had to walk though the public lobby and souvenir shop to get to pool. The suite was also on 3rd floor, so we carted luggage up and down 3 flights of stairs (no elevators). There was no dresser or chest of drawers for our clothes. We called it the cave because even with all the lights on, it was just dark. We found ourselves trying to find things to do just to avoid spending time in "the cave".
Would we stay here again? No. The poolside rooms do look to be charming (but unfortunately we wouldn't know), but we don't trust this organization given their rather cavalier approach to honoring reserved rooms and what a promise means.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Brandon, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I booked a Deluxe room through the tripadvisor site, having seen an example of a Deluxe room on the site. The room we were in was NOTHING like the deluxe room shown on tripadvisor, old furnishings, ancient tv, only 1 chair to sit in. I thought surely they had made an error and inquired at the front desk after being able to see into other rooms while they were either open for cleaning or from outside while drapes and French doors were open. It was very disappointing to have booked ahead and not have a gorgeous room. I guess that is what they use for guests who book via tripadvisor/expedia. After my inquiry, the front desk clerk did take $16 off of my account. I would recommend that you look carefully at the hotel website and book through the hotel and get your room preference guaranteed through them, if having a gorgeous room is important to you. I would have rated the value higher if we had the type of room we expected. There should not be such a disparity between rooms of the same category. Some of the standard and economy rooms on hotel website look nicer!
On the up side, the staff is extraordinarily friendly and helpful, the room we had was ok, very clean, and overlooked the pool, which was gorgeous at night. There is a shared balcony. (Watch out who you might be "sharing" it with as I was sitting out in my area one morning and an older gentleman wearing only a bathrobe came out and was smoking. I scooted back in quickly) There is a continental breakfast consisting of coffee/tea/juice selections and choices of cold cereals/pastry/muffins, which you order the evening before and it is delivered to your room at the time you specify in the morning. This is a nice touch, although we did not partake as we prefer to start the day with protein. They have coffee, apples and cookies replenished throughout the day available in the lobby. The cookies were my husband's favorite part...his commitment to healthy eating has its limits!
There is a spa next door and also a restaurant on the property that is open for lunch and dinner and overlooks the river.
All things considered, our stay was pleasant, in large part because of the staff. We would probably stay again next year, but carefully specify which room we wanted to book.

Room Tip: Deluxe room poolside or suites pool side are probably preferable as they are quieter than those next...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Love the hotel! The staff Was wonderful,very clean rooms! We went for our anniversary it was very romantic. Had breakfast delivered to our room (free) also enjoyed the Complimentary bikes! We were able to ride them to and on the beach! Would love to make this hotel our yearly stop :)

• Stayed October 2013
Lee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This is a very romantic and relaxing getaway hotel. Great for couples or a girls friend getaway. The hotel gave us a complimentary bottle of wine (not the cheap stuff either!) as this was our first visit. Their amenities are fantastic. We had our continental breakfast delivered to our room with the morning paper. The heated pool area feels like a private oasis. Items in the gift shop were good quality items at very resaonable prices. We felt so pampered and comfortable during our stay. We also had a private ground floor terrace to sit on and watch the river. We hope to return for a romantic getaway in the future. They even provided bed turn down service with mints and thick bathrobes.

Room Tip: Our room was ground level. However, the rooms on teh second floor are larger if you prefer more room...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Winter Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I stayed at the Riverview Hotel for 2 nights and really found it very quant. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. I stayed in one of the updated rooms which was downstairs. The room was very clean and perfect size for just one. Breakfast in the morning was just enough to get me going. I will definitely staff here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very old place but very nice. The staff was wonderful to me & my husband. We had a room called the honeymoon suite which over looks the river there. Not too much of a view. I recommend pool side room & get a newly renovated room downstairs. The amenties here are fabulous.
We will come here again.

Room Tip: Pool side rooms are the best view. The spa is awesome there too !
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I had a great time here with my boyfriend- the place was very clean, and cozy. They deliver breakfast to your door in the morning (no hot items on menu). We had a porch right off our room that overlooked the pool and they have complimentary bikes to ride to the beach (about 6 blocks) . My only complaint would be that the rooms are a little small for the money and like the rest of the hotels it is located right off the main drag, which can be a plus if you enjoy shopping. The staff there was very friendly as well!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!