“Mexican treat in New Smyrna Beach” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Gatineau
“Mexican treat in New Smyrna Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

While there are many mexican restaurant outside of Mexico, finding one serving true mexican food is not that common. This restaurant serves an honest truly mexican meal at a very reasonable price. They use a significant amount of queso (cheese) in their preparations that makes them delicious but also very filling. Do expect a very hearthy meal preceded by nachos and salsa (on the house).

Excellent value for money. This is a true mexican food experience served by mexicans and well attended by mexicans. We also noted a few local policemen regulars there which is always an indication of high value for money (they know where to eat good food at a reasonable price).

We recommend it especially at lunch time.

New Smyrna Beach, Florida
“Good Mexican Food at a Good Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was an accidental find! And what a treasure! One of our favorite eateries was packed to the rafters so we headed south on Atlantic to look for another place to eat. We came upon MI Mexico and pulled in. "Why not? Not too busy" (It was only 6pm on a Sunday night) It looks like a little ma and pa eatery from the outside...as the doors swung open, the smell of yummy Mexican spices and food greeted us. The place was already bustling. (Good parking, would have never guessed this as we pulled in as the lot did not look full) Only took minutes for the 4 of us to be seated. Our waitress was sweet, a little slow getting back to us with drinks but...it was busy. And we are rarely in such a hurry that this kind of delay bothers us. Delicious hot salsa and warm crunchy chips hit the table immediately. I ordered enchiladas with beans and rice. Served on hot plates...DELICIOUS! Everything had a delicious flavor...often beans and rice as a side can be bland and non-descript. Not here....nothing dried out and flat. Rice was fluffy and flavorful. The beans, not dried out...rather moist and covered with melted cheese. The enchiladas were filled with seasoned ground beef (good choices in what you want in your enchilada, taco's, etc...) and smothered in one of the best red sauces I have had yet since moving from New Mexico. The portions were generous so we had to pass on dessert which offered flan and many others. Ice tea with our meals, fresh brewed with lemon. Kept filled. Empty plates removed promptly. And what a deal!!! You can't beat the price! By the time we left at 8:115pm...there was a line outside and they were on a wait. So, you want a break from seafood when you come to our little ol' beachside town? Don't miss Mi Mexico. You will be pleased. We found a new restaurant to add to our list. Enjoy!

Port Orange, Florida
“Excellent Mexican in the Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We arrived on the last Sunday of bike week – they had just been invaded by about 45 people who all hit the place at once. I watched everyone filing in, and thought there was no way that we’d be able to try it that night. When we got to the door, there was one booth for 2 left – talk about timing. The drink orders were taken quickly, given the huge rush and filled fast as well. We were given the complimentary chips and salsa – chips were thicker than most, and fresh. The salsa was probably the best house salsa I’ve seen – flavorful, and with a good degree of heat. While going over the menu, we ordered the cheese dip – very good flavor, and the kind of queso that does not immediately harden 5 minutes after it’s delivered to the table.
It did take a few minutes for service but given the circumstances, it was not an unnecessarily long wait. My wife ordered the beef chimi, and I had the enchiladas verdes. The chimi was made of cubed beef, marinated and tender with good flavor. The enchiladas were two cheese enchiladas covered with verde sauce, tomatoes, fried peppers and onions, and topped off with shredded pork. The pork was seasoned perfectly, and was absolutely delicious – some of the best that I have ever had. The verde sauce was very good, and the enchiladas that were underneath were very good as well. Both entrees came with beans, rice, and shredded lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and guacamole. The portions were very good, and the quality was outstanding. I decided to try a dessert even though I did not need it. I ordered the banana chimichanga. When it came out, it was not what I expected – a fried flour tortilla filled with bananas, split lengthwise, then dressed with alternating scoops of vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. Then to top it off, it’s drizzled with chocolate sauce and finished with cherries. Enough for 4 people – and priced less than $5.00. That is what amazed me throughout the entire meal. This is the best Mexican that I have found in the last 10 or 15 years, and the prices were surprisingly low for everything on the menu.
I read the reviews of the place before we went, and some of the critical ones I just didn’t see where they came from. This place does something that I have seen in other places. Two versions of chili relleno. In researching the dish I found that In its earliest incarnations, it was described as a green chile pepper stuffed with minced meat and coated with eggs and fried. Typically, I have seen this version done with bell pepper instead of poblano, and though some may like it, it’s not for me. The other version is typically stuffed with melted cheese, such as queso Chihuahua or queso Oaxaca covered in an egg batter or simply corn masa flour and fried. I have found that places that serve both versions call this one Chili poblano to differentiate the two. While some criticized this place for bad relleno, if they read through the menu, they would find the complete descriptions for both dishes listed. To downgrade a place because of this is not fair – I am a chef, restaurant owner, and I know that cooks the world over take poetic license with dishes, and put their own twists on things – that’s what makes cooking fun and interesting. I would not be so presumptuous to walk into some else’s establishment and declare that they are wrong for any variation on a dish – especially if I had seen it a few times before, and only in the better Mexican places. I also cannot take seriously anyone that writes a bad review, and it’s the only one that they have written in two or three years.
, or the ones that trash a place because they had a “bad experience” with the service staff. Don’t berate the food because of that, and don’t give a negative because you have determined that the ventilation system is not up to your standards. I was there this evening, the place was packed, and it smelled just like the inside of a restaurant – what else would it smell like? I also lend little credence to anyone that trashes a place with no real explanations, and recommends a place down the street. That being said, this place has generous portions, good price points, and good food and service. The best Mexican that I have found in years. We will be back. Try it out – it’s worth the drive-I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton, Canada
“Really great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

It's a hidden gem in the area, especially if you're looking for Mexican. The décor, etc isn't anything special, but it doesn't have to be. The food is very tasty (and I don't really like Mexican), the portions are great and the prices very reasonable. The service was great, our beverages were always full, the waitress was very polite and even when we stayed past closing (unbeknownst to us) no one said a word. It's worth a visit.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
orlando
“Best mexican anywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

If you are in new Smyrna you have to go to Mi Mexico if you like mexican food. It definitely blows the others away. From the chips to dessert it is great. Never have had a bad meal as we have at other mexican restaurants at the beach. Always consistantly great.