“Good food, and, hey...it's close to Dairy Queen!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Description: Casual Seafood Prime Rib Steaks and Raw Bar
Franklin, Tennessee
“Good food, and, hey...it's close to Dairy Queen!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

We have been driving by this place on our way to Dairy Queen every year when in New Smyrna Beach. This year, a friend recommended Blackbeard's - specifically the prime rib and the "early bird special". We took him up on it and were not disappointed. We weren't necessarily blown away, but it was very good. The prime rib is good - be sure to order on the rarer side if you like it that way or it may be overcooked. The scallops were also very good and I recommend them if you are not into red meat. The cinnamon rolls were nice with our coffee at the condo the next morning. As to the "early bird" part, the portions were generous and the prices a little better, so definitely get there early. Then, you have plenty of time to go a couple of doors down the Dixie Highway for a sundae!!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Confused”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Tried blackbeards again tonight , BIG Mistake, it's just gross, the staff are miserable, the scallops were rancid as well as the wine, there was just nothing good about it. We live in new smyrna and are always confused as to why this place keeps bringing people in.

• Visited August 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Easley, South Carolina
“Above average meal...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Dined here while on vacation in the area. This was our 2nd visit. We skipped it last year. We do feel that a similar restaurant (similar pricing/salad bar available) in Port Orange (Aunt Catfish's) is much better than Blackbeards. We will most likely skip Blackbeards next summer.

I do not like how you have no natural light in Blackbeards. There wouldn't be much of a view but it would make the interior less claustrophobic.

The service was excellent. Our food came out hot for the most part. I would have liked for my baked potato to have been hotter, but I made do with it. Salad is fine, nothing overly elaborate. The soup offered on the bar is really good. I find the prices here to be a tad high by about $2 to $3 per entree. Two folks got the fish of the day (Orange Roughy) in some form or fashion. 1 son ordered the BBQ ribs from the the kid's menu. Another son had chicken fingers from the adult menu. I got shrimp covered in garlic and butter (forget the name for this) and they were good.

Our bill was $99 w/tip for 2 adults and 3 children. No beverages other than water were ordered. If I were assigning a grade it would be B-. Rating is closer to "good" instead of "very good" but giving our meal an "average" would be too low.

I would agree with some who speak about how dated this restaurant is as far as furnishings and decor go. However, that does not take away from the meals that are served here.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great salad bar - Good value - Just ok fried shrimp”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Never been here before..13 years in the area. First - the atmosphere. Not great, but really what'd you'd expect from a "value" seafood place. So be prepared for a very casual environment. This is no Bone Fish Grill folks. The lighting could be improved. Our server was excellent. These people know how to run a restaurant..I'll give them kudos for that. They have been doing it for more than 30 years.

Yes the prices are very fair and their salad bar is a big plus. But their supposedly signature fried shrimp (I ordered the large size) was a big disappointment. I tasted their coconut shrimp and frankly it was a poor version of those I have had at other local places. Their fried shrimp cannot compare to Betty's AIA IMHO if you're looking for a similar type of restaurant comparison. When you differentiate on your menu between sizes, the customer expects a nice sized shrimp when you call them "large". That was not the case here.

The hush puppies were ok..Not great.

Yes, I would return if in the area, but it would not be my favorite choice in this type of very casual seafood restaurant category.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Poor quality..”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

First time visit and will not return. We visited on 8-6-14 on favorable reviews from TA overall & couldn't be more disappointed. 1st complaint was poor service, on a Thursday with a half full restaurant we expected better. 2nd complaint was the food, absolutely no flavor at all. Our party had the Flounder, I had the Prime Rib & Shrimp. The Prime Rib was good, nothing special and the Shrimp was rubbery and tasteless. The rest of party was so glad they had salt on the table to give the Flounder some flavor. Restaurant is very dated also, would not recommend to anyone and will not return.