“Pristine - Excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Black Dolphin Inn

You added Black Dolphin Inn to your Saves list
Black Dolphin Inn
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   916 S Riverside Drive, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168   |
Special Price
Endless Summer Special
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Pristine - Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at the Black Dolphin Inn recently. The Inn is noticeably well placed along the Halifax River, with a dock and lounge chairs on the water. The building and property are pristine. Upon arrival the friendly owners greet you and show you your room, which is likely the highlight of your stay. Each room is unique in shape, decor, and amenities. Some rooms include multiple balconies overlooking the river/bay, or gorgeous large tubs placed in the center of your room beneath skylights. What's consistency is the comfort, sophistication, and warmth of each room at Black Dolphin Inn.

Dining is also excellent. Our group brought back fish from a charter fishing cruise and the Inn's chef prepared an excellent dinner.

The perfect stay for a business group, wedding, or a weekend trip.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn. Thank you for your review and corresponding comments regarding the uniqueness of our guest accommodations - with specific reference to the consistency of the "comfort, sophistication, and warmth" of each unit. These positive remarks are greatly appreciated as they serve to reinforce our vision for an interior design that is not "over-the-top" like a woman dressed like a million dollars- but by the woman that does not appear to be overly dressed yet whose perfection of taste and detail gently permeates your senses. We are most grateful for your other positive remarks with respect to our pristine property, dining excellence and our appeal to a multitude of different market segments. Thank you again for your TripAdvisor review and we look forward to your return in the very near future.

Owner/General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
St. Petersburg, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay and compliments to the Chef, all the food was amazing. The rooms were very nice and classy! I will definitely have to go back again. Next either with my family or even my honeymoon. It's located really close to the beach. Shelia, Taylor and Brett helped me feel right at home.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn. Thank you for your positive review on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the food was amazing. I will pass along your compliments to Chef Joe - who will be as pleased as I was to receive them. It was our pleasure to serve you and we do hope to see you again at the Black Dolphin Inn in the very near future.

Treasure Island, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at the Black Dolphin Inn for my third time in as many months and had another really tremendous experience.
I was able to reserve all of the rooms for my daughter's weekend wedding that was held on the premises.
With the incredible efforts put forth by the owners, Brett, his wife Sheila, son Taylor, Chef Joe as well as other support staff it came off without a hitch.
The beauty of the Inn on that special night was so captivatingly enchanting it created an unsurpassed ambiance that nearly every person at the wedding commented on.
Everyone had great things to say about their particular room and all loved the sensational breakfasts as well as the scrumptious wedding meal.
The caring, accommodating ways of the Black Dolphin Inn made this fantastic weekend and special evening a reality for all.
I've never planned a wedding before and wasn't sure how it would turn out, but the confident, positive attitudes of those at the Inn was defintely the common denominator that made it a complete and total success.
This Inn was designed with so much thought on all levels that it's charm and intoxicating aura permeate your very being,
You are left feeling pampered and special.
It's a weekend I and many others will never forget and I am already planning my return stay.
Thankfully, I only live across the state.
Proud Father and Loyal guest of the Black Dolphin Inn,
Nick B.
Treasure Island, Florida

Room Tip: I haved stayed in the same room each of my three stays. Upstairs waterfront with balcomy and view of...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! Its always great to hear from our guests - especially when they plan to return for a 3rd time (Third Time is a Charm) to host a special celebration. As a repeat guest, your feedback is truly valued and it was great to hear that the Black Dolphin Inn was the perfect venue for your daughters wedding. We thank you so much for succinctly capturing the core essence of our business model in your review - which centered on our vision to create a truly unique vacation lodging product that reflects the elegance and amenities of a luxury boutique inn with the intimate comforts and personalized services of a bed and breakfast. The success of the wedding was in direct proportion to the excellent lines of communication and the partnership that was forged in response to achieving the same goal - which was the creation of a memorable and unforgettable wedding experience that will last a lifetime. We feel so privileged to have been part of this truly incredible event and the fireworks display later than evening was a perfect ending to a truly magnificent evening.

Again, thank you for your outstanding review and we look forward to your 4th return visit to the
Black Dolphin Inn.

Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Hello everyone!
I hope you all go stay at the Black Dolphin Inn for your next weekend getaway! My husband and I stayed this Labor Day weekend of 2013 as well as our best friends, my mom and dad. My husband called and spoke to Taylor when he made the reservations. Taylor was so very friendly and accommodating. They even spoke of a bit of fishing together off their beautiful dock located directly across from the Inn if opportunity struck. Although we did not get a chance to throw a line in with him we felt as though we were all instant friends and yes we did some fishing at night me my hubby and dad and we each caught a few small ones even a blue crab. We were greeted by Brett and Sheila upon our arrival with smiles and a tour. The scenery is breath taking and you can tell just by looking around how much thought, passion and love went into creating such a masterpiece of design and style. Now not only is this place gorgeous but it is truly comfortable and relaxing. There are a few things that are very important to me. Top priority is cleanliness and this place was spotless. They even have a jetted jacuzzi tub that's so deep it swallowed me and then basically cleaned itself out when I was done. Amazing! Who doesn't love a nice hot bath! Next on my list is privacy and a dark room to sleep in so that at sunrise I'm not woken up by the sun. We got our privacy along with chances to sit at breakfast and have great conversation with our new friends the owners and the talented Chef who was on staff. Oh did I mention the bed is heavenly with fluffy pillows and soft sheets. I could go on and on about this place but I think you get my drift. So put this place on the to do list or at least the bucket one! Just a quick shout out and thank you again to the Black Dolphin Inn and it wonderful people! Sincerely, The Jackson's!

Room Tip: We stayed in the room which had a tree coming through the porch it was awesome. I felt like I was in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Black D, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! Thank you for your wonderful review which you so aptly titled: "A touch of class". We were really "touched" by the depth and scope of your narrative and really appreciated the insightful and descriptive manner in which you communicated your personal experience at the Black Dolphin Inn. You highlighted so many of the great attributes about our boutique inn and it was evident by your comments that you recognized our passion for service and product excellence in all phases of our operation. In many respects, the guest experience can be best defined as the overall impression that our guest has about our inn as it relates to their interactions with our staff, products, and as importantly - our processes. This can be distilled down to the most elementary tasks such as a warm welcome, a high level of personal and attentive service, the cleanliness of the rooms and common areas, our culinary preparation and presentation, the quality of the pillows and linens, and as you said - "you get the drift". We are so grateful and humbled by the touch of class that you demonstrated on our behalf with your outstanding review. We can't wait for you to return so that we can show you some of the new and exciting services and amenities that we will be introducing at the Black Dolphin in the months ahead.

Brett P Smith, CHA
Port Orange, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Last night my husband and I checked into this beautiful B&B to celebrate our 5 year Anniversary. We were greeted so kindly by owners, Brett and Sheila who were both very welcoming! We were looking for a quiet relaxing retreat for a night away from our beautiful babies and this place was perfect. It exceeded our expectations in service, comfort, and scenery! However, I cannot express how beautiful the interior is or how amazingly delicious our breakfast was this morning! I would highly recommend this B&B and I look forward to returning in the future!

• Stayed August 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! We were so pleased to learn that you decided to celebrate your 5 year anniversary at the Black Dolphin Inn. We appreciated having the benefit of your feedback on your TripAdvisor post and were delighted to read that we "exceeded your expectations in comfort, service, and scenery". We are also grateful for your other favorable comments regarding the warm welcome, the great breakfast and the relaxing atmosphere for your 1 night retreat. We hope that the memories of your recent visit will be long- lasting and that you will return again in the very near future.

Brett P Smith, CHA
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Its Monday, I have packed my bags. I walk out to kiss my little precious girl and adoring wife good bye to begin another work week tucked far away in to a hotel. How every night I just want to be in a place called home with my family. One weekend, my wife and I went away to the last place I wanted to be a hotel.

This was no hotel but a safe haven inn for the restless, rejuvenating and rekindling of two loved souls. We walked in to this enchanting Inn as guest and left as though we had become an extension of the family. This place is my home away from home.

The Guzman

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! It was so nice to have you as a recent guest at the Black Dolphin Inn. I really enjoyed your personal introspective in which you commented that the Black Dolphin Inn is more of a safe haven than a hotel - as we truly are a special place where you can invigorate both your soul and your senses. We are so pleased to hear that you came as a guest and left as an extension of our family and that you now consider the Black Dolphin Inn as "your home away from home". This is very meaningful, relevant, and very much appreciated as it strikes at the core of the guest experience that we are trying to capture at the Black Dolphin Inn. Thank you so much for your kind words and we do hope that you will return soon so that you can relax and get away from the daily stresses of everyday life.

palm city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

When you stay at The Black Dolphin Inn your not just renting a room, you are renting a memorable experience. The Inn is dramatic in decor and as inviting, as we soon learned after meeting our host and hostess Brett, Shelia, and Taylor Smith. "Barefoot Elegance". Chef Joe created amazing southern meals. Did I mention Amaretto French Toast with fresh strawberrys...........Fabulous vacation! By the way. Be on celebrity watch while at The Black Dolphin Inn. You never know who you might see! Kim McCarthy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Brett S, Owner at Black Dolphin Inn, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Greetings from the Black Dolphin Inn! When you think about it, the hospitality business has always been more than just "sticks and mortar" or just renting a room - rather it is a focus on creating long lasting memories by customizing services to meet the specific needs and desires of our guests. We are so pleased to have the benefit of your review in this regard and we very much appreciated your kind remarks about our inviting interior decor and the sumptuous breakfasts that are virtually made from scratch and cooked to order by Chef Joe. While celebrity sightings come into play from time to time at the Black Dolphin Inn- it s really our staff who perform in a starring role in providing each of our guests with a high level of attentive and personalized service.Thank you so much for your review and we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you again the in the near future.

Brett P. Smith,CHA
Owner/General Manager

Been to Black Dolphin Inn? Share your experiences!