“Left after 3 nights” 2 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   611 S Atlantic Ave, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32169   |
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in New Smyrna Beach
“Left after 3 nights”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2004

We exchanged our Star Island timeshare for a week at Coconut Palms. My parents have a house in Daytona so we wanted to be closeby but have our own "place". When we checked in the staff could not have been nicer, but you could tell it was an older resort somewhat dressed up. The room was ok, we had a nice view of the ocean. It was a smaller unit than we had exchanged for at other resorts, the bedroom especially, it was only large enough for the bed (which was only a queen). Moving on to the bed - it was the most uncomfortable bed we have ever slept on and the pillows were cheap and wafer thin. The three mornings we were there my husband and I woke with back pain and headaches. The living area was ok, again the sofa bed was not very comfortable and the table and chairs were old. The kitchen was good however, plenty of utensils and the appliances were almost new.
Night 2 of our stay the power went out a few times, each time for a considerable period. On the second night both my husband and I were starting to feel ill - both dizzy,nauseaous and with terrible headaches. We had not eaten the same things so it was not any kind of food poisoning and we both felt it was something in the room - maybe pumping through the aircon vents - so we left and spent the rest of Thanksgiving week at my mums and felt just fine.
All in all, the resort is old and although first impressions look ok (i.e., newly painted walls, new flooring) closer inspection reveals its tiredness. The aircon vents looked old and clogged and the furniture was well worn. The best thing about this resort was the staff - always super friendly and very helpful.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2004

We were suppose to arrive at Coconut Palms on Friday Sept 3rd. But all of Florida was heading north to escape Francis. We stayed in Atlanta and watched the weather reports all weekend, hoping & praying that Francis would not be as devastating as Charley was to Florida. On Monday all the news reports said that New Smyrna Beach was flooded and had no power, and at that point we knew for sure that we would not have a week at the beach. We tried calling the resort since the previous Friday (Sept 3rd) but the office was closed, we called several times to cancel our reservations but of course was unable to get thru in the middle of a hurricane. Since the office was closed and we were unable to speak with anyone and we didn't show up, Coconut Palms is refusing to reimburse our money for a week's stay. I understand that the state of Florida has taken a hard hit with all the storms, and I understand that tourisim is their money maker, but "hello" Coconut Palms if you want the money that we would spend down there for the future..Send us our money back..And we would love to come and visit when you don't have a hurricane in your back yard ..I would come down every year..But considering how we have been treated, we will spend our money in other areas of Florida.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2004

We just got back from Coconut Palms and had a wonderful time. (August 2004) The beach was beautiful. How we were lucky enough to have our vacation between two Hurricanes is a wonder to me.
The resort was alot of fun. New Smyrna Beach area is great. Our daughter got engaged while walking on the beach with her boyfriend. There didn't seem to be any damage from Hurricane Charley even though the Datona Area was hit pretty hard. The only thing we could say was a downfall was that our room was on the side of the building next to a new hotel being built. The workers started every morning by 6:30am. So if you enjoy getting up early, that was the room to have. All in all, we had a wonderful time and I would definitely stay here again.

Norwich, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2004

We spent the first two nights of our honeymoon here and did not want to leave. The accomodations, amentities, and activities were outstanding, the staff was friendly and courteous, and the area in general was great. The only bad thing about it was the high pressure timeshare sales presentation. I have nothing against the resort itself, but our presenter was a rude...well I can't go on here because the language I would use to describe it would not be published on this site. The man's sales pitch hit below the belt, trying to play on our own vulnerabilities rather than what the resort had to offer. We were on our honeymoon, and he continually implied that we would end up divorced if we did not purchase a time share. Then he started asking me why I wouldn't do it and if my new wife wasn't good enough to deserve it and so forth. When it was abundantly clear that I wouldn't purchase a cup of water while stranded in the middle of a desert from him, he concluded by saying, "You just blew it pal." I really wanted to smack him in the mouth. After the presentation, my new wife actually broke down in tears. AGAIN THE RESORT AND AREA ARE BEAUTIFUL. BEWARE OF TIME SHARE PRESENTATIONS THOUGH!!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2004

Coconut Palms is a great resort. We stayed over spring break and it was beautiful. The rooms were great and the people were wonderful. What a view. We loved it so much we bought 2 weeks there. It had a great view and a lot of activities for the kids and adults. Great pool and right on the ocean. We are going every year!

Been to Coconut Palms Beach Resort 2? Share your experiences!