“The view ia amazing” 5 of 5 stars

New Smyrna Beach, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“The view ia amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I brought my sister to see this surprising veiw of the arae. It's hard to believe how high this spot is in relation the the area that surrounds it. The walk is a pretty good workout up the planked walkways to the top. My sons came to visit and we revisited the same spot. They were amazed that the area was built up by the Indians who lived here with oyster shells creating the mounds. The history is very interesting so do visit and enjoy being at treetop height.

Visited November 2011

Auburn, Georgia
10 attraction reviews
“AVOID!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I heard cool things about Turtle Mound and the National Seashore...AVOID!! We walked to the mound with little trouble other than it was hot! I couldn't see what the big deal was about. It had cool views, but not worth the sweat. We drove further into the park and decided to walk one of the trails. DO NOT GO WITHOUT BUG SPRAY! No one told us this and we got 200 ft down a trail before we had to turn back. Plus, we had to step over (literally!) a dead armadillo on the trail. It smelled so bad that we were gagging. I can see where this would be a great place to 'get one with nature' but not without tons and tons of bug spray.

Visited July 2012
Tampa, Florida
83 attraction reviews
“National Seashore - always worthy of a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

It is a short boardwalk that ambles through a huge midden. Mozzies can carry you away -- come prepared.

Visited July 2012
Raleigh, North Carolina
25 attraction reviews
“Very nice views, bring the bug spray!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I've been to Turtle mound twice, but the first time I was there we didn't make it down the trail, the mosquitoes were terrible. When I returned a few years later, I remembered to bring the bug spray and made it all the way to the mound. The signs were informative and the actual mound of shells is remarkable.

Visited October 2011
DeBary, Florida
“School Field Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I attended a school field trip w/my daughter's class. The Historic Site was clean, signs were very informational and our guide had extensive knowledge about the history of Florida. It was a great trip for students and adults alike!!