“Better than any big hotel any day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seahorse Oceanfront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Neptune Beach
Seahorse Oceanfront Inn
120 Atlantic Boulevard, Neptune Beach, FL 32236   |
Ranked #1 of 2 hotels in Neptune Beach
Cymru
“Better than any big hotel any day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2009

We had a crappy vacation and the only bright spot was where we stayed. It was very near the beach, clean, and fairly friendly. The maid service was the friendliest of everyone.

I am tired of giant chain hotels, giant chain restaurants and giant chain shops, this was a fabulous change. I don't care about a workout room, internet connection and all the other "ammenities". I want a nice place with a nice view that doesn't feel like it is ripping me off.

The lemon bar was across the yard from our room and the music seemed to turn off at about 11 or 12 and that was fine. Any excess noise from there was blocked out by the air conditioning. The building is made of blocks so there is very little, if any noise from other rooms.

I wasn't there during the high season and can see that during spring breaks, or games or whatever it probably is rowdy...but it is probably rowdy everywhere since decorum is now such an old fashioned word. I think the reviewer who was "scared" probably doesn't get out much and is very reactionary and just plain silly. Unfortunately, people do get drunk and knock on the wrong door but he really doesn't understand that that could just as easily happen at the GIANT hotel next door, only the management wouldn't be there as fast.

As for the surliness of the staff...well, the office staff was generally okay. There was one woman that could have been friendlier but I racked that up to the area. I thought, that some of the shopkeepers and waitstaff in the area were surly too. If you want a good examply of it, head over to Shelby's coffee house where they hire friendly men and rude young women. That's a great way to start the day: a cup of coffee served with rudeness. But I am off the path...I believe that Atlantic Beach or Neptune Beach must be a bit surly so I wouldn't take too much notice of it.

In general, the hotel was great. I would recommend it; however, since I wouldn't recommend anyone actually go to Florida (because it is awful: no green energy, no recycling to be seen, no decent public transportation, people text and drive hence very dangerous to walk) then it would be hard for them to stay at the Sea Horse.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

91 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
jacksonville, florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

My husband and I took a belated honey-moon and found this to be the perfect spot. We found it was very quiet, clean, and most of all could get his wheelchair in and out without problem. This is also a very secure hotel with access to pool and beach access via room assigned key. The associated bar was hardly made a noise and was closed around 9p. I guess

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
New Zealand/Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We stayed here one night (passing through) in Room 220. Very nice room with a picture window view of the beach & ocean. Wrap around balcony so you could sit and watch the pool & The Lemon Bar or on the other side you face the beach & ocean. Clean and comfortable. Friendly check-in and check-out. Easy parking and just steps away to all kinds of cute places to eat, like the Sun Dog Diner which we loved too. The Lemon Bar is cute & fun. Wish they had munchies but it is only drinks. The Lemon Bar closes at 11pm except on (I believe it was) Friday & Sat. nights when they close at 12:30. Early close on Sunday too, I believe. They have happy hour beer for $2.50 draft and speciality drink for low prices periodically. (Their menu) We went to our room at 10pm, turned on TV and with the A/C also running, we could hear nothing from outside. Will definitely go again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights when we were in town for a wedding. I was nervous after reading some of the reviews on this website, but the hotel exceeded our expectations. The location is great -- it's right on the beach, with a nice pool, and within walking distance to lots of restaurants and bars in Atlantic Beach. The parking is free. Our room was a good size, the bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was clean (although not completely modern and renovated). There was a small refrigerator in the room which was nice, and we liked the patio overlooking the ocean. We found the service there to be wonderful. All the people at the front desk were very friendly, and they were helpful with recommendations about where to get a bagel and coffee for breakfast. I consider myself to be relatively picky about cleanliness in hotels, and I did not encounter the problems other people on this site mentioned with unclean bathrooms or a moldy odor in the room. Also, although there are not hair dryers or irons in every room, the front desk was more than happy to give me both, for our entire stay, when I asked about it at check-in. We were not bothered by noise from the Lemon Bar at all, and in fact, we were surprised by how early the bar closes (I think at midnight). It is definitely not the most luxurious place we've ever stayed, but for the price and the location, we thought the room was more than adequate, and we would definitely recommend the hotel to others and stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

My husband and I went with a group of about 30 for a family member's 21st birthday. Several of us had rooms at the Seahorse and also the Sea Turtle across the way. My husband and I were guests at the Seahorse. We were at lemon bar for a little over an hour when my husband went to the bar to order drinks for me and a few other family members. The bartender was a real jerk and refused service to him saying he was too intoxicated. He wasn't. Had a bit of a buzz yes, but not to the extent of intoxication. Well the bartender and two dorky little security guys called a cop over. Needless to say I was livid and gave them a piece of my mind. Keep in mind we were guests of the hotel. Well, after letting these idiots know that we would never be back we all left followed by three quarters of the other patrons I might add. We all ended up at Ragtime cafe across the street where they had an awsome band, awsome service and we were all treated with respect and dignity. Don't go to lemon bar. It's not worth your time

• Stayed April 2009
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2009

We stayed here for an easy April weekend getaway. This is an OLD hotel, in the sense that it is run down. All of the rooms have sliding glass doors that open to the beach. There is direct beach access, and a pool and bar that serves food. The rooms are rundown. The carpet is very old, but teh industrial kind. The bathrooms and kitchenette in each room are somewhat scary to go barefoot in. Beds are solid as rocks. Safety is a concern probably because this is a hotel for heavy drinkers an partying. So expect lots of late-night and early morning drunken noise. Occasionally, like last night, there was a visible fight between two drunks at the bar out our window. Across the street is a newer, high end hotel called The Ocean. I wouldn't bring my kids here. But if you are just looking for a nice beach, place to sleep, and don't mind the noise, I can see it. Pack your own hari dryer and iron, they don't provide those in the rooms.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
South GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2008

A super beach getaway! My husband and I were looking for a 'no frills', reasonably-priced, clean hotel for couple of days at the beach and found just that at the Seahorse Inn. The room was spacious, cleaner than most (although the bathroom could have used a little extra attention) and the location was wonderful! The beautiful Atlantic Ocean was a very short walk across the dunes (via either the private access walk or the public access). The area is terrific...lots of great restaurants within walking distance.
Try Al's Pizza. Their lunch menu is very good and reasonably priced! Lee's Ice Cream is also a great stop.

The Seahorse Inn honors AARP discounts, but not AAA.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Seahorse Oceanfront Inn? Share your experiences!