“Comfortable resort hotel, friendly service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Naples Grande Beach Resort

Save Saved
You added Naples Grande Beach Resort to your Saves list
Naples Grande Beach Resort
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   475 Seagate Drive, Naples, FL 34103 (Formerly Waldorf Astoria Naples) (North Naples)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #34 of 58 Hotels in Naples
London, United Kingdom
“Comfortable resort hotel, friendly service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I stayed here for a week in early January 2013 for some R&R from the damp, dark English winter. The weather was glorious, and overall I had a nice time. The building is a bit old (60s or 70s build, I'd say) and it has not been a Waldorf for long, but the refurbished areas are fine.

Good things: good location (you can walk to the mall), well-kept grounds, free self-parking, attractive public areas especially the entrance atrium, friendly and attentive staff (on the whole), comfortable bed in a very spacious room and three pools.

Gripes: I know it was the holiday season which is peak season for families, but when booking I had taken comfort from the fact that there was a pool allegedly dedicated for "quiet relaxation" by adults.

Unfortunately the families who dominated the hotel took no notice of this and the supposedly "quiet' pool was full of screaming, splashing children (as well as some screaming adults - I don't know what part of "No Diving" people don't understand) despite the fact that the family pool (three times the size) was available.

Several appeals to the hotel staff to sort this out fell on deaf ears. I was twice promised attention from the hotel manager but it never arrived.

In the end the self-made solutions turned out to be (1) the lap pool, which is separate from the two main pools and was a lot quieter, and (2) the end of the holidays. I'll know better than to travel that week next year.

Is it too much to ask for a quiet life?

Room Tip: If the price is right, use the upgrade option available when booking online. You can find a bargain...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Amanda H, General Manager at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
I can only imagine coming from the UK how much you must have enjoyed our tropical weather! I am happy to hear that mother nature did not disappoint as we had some glorious weather to begin the year....so good that everyone wanted to visit us at the same time. I am so sorry to hear that it was a little busy for your liking and hope that you will come back when we may be a little quieter. The main area of concern for me was the lack of follow through from a Manager and although you have now checked out....I hope I can help. If you could contact me via private message I would be grateful, as I would love the opportunity to discuss your experience. My email is Amanda.Vogel@waldorfastoria.com Thank you so much for sharing your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (389)
Montclair, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Hotel has a lot to offer and good prices are available but it does not live up to the brand of the Wardorf Astoria - felt like a nice Hilton.

Mixed service levels - Nicole at Breakfast is superb but no apology for a broken door found lying in the room on arrival or response to my request to swap out a threadbare chair in our bungalow.

The bungalow room size is great and the pull out bed in the living room is helpful for children. Our room needed a lick of paint (I was told the furnishings and painting were last refurbished 7 years ago).

The tennis center is wonderful and the 3 pools are great. However, expect to see children in the adult pool and non hotel guest using the sun beds on the beach!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Jacob A, Manager at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. While it appears your overall stay was enjoyable, there are definitely some opportunities here and we will be sharing your feedback with our team to ensure your comments are addressed. As Director of Property Operations I would personally like to apologize for the working order of your guest room. If you could please send me via private message your room number I would like to walk the room to ensure all these matters have been addressed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We truly value your patronage and apologize that your stay wasn't flawless as it should have been. My email address is Jacob.Attallah@waldorfastoria.com and I look forward to hearing from you.
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed the week between Xmas and New Year. Our room in the main building was as promised, very clean, and a great gulf view. My pet peeve, when staying anywhere on the Gulf in Naples, is the horrible cell and Internet service in room. To my delight, this was not the case at the Waldorf. My only complaint is the lack of an elevator from the garage to the lobby. This is terribly inconvenient and awkward for guests who are being charged a daily parking fee. The Golden Door Spa was great, but they still haven't enlarged the dressing room area. Staff is friendly and accommodating, and I will definitely be back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Manager at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
We were pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and despite your reservations, that the wireless internet was better than expected! We aim to please.

With reference to the elevator from the garage, this is a work in progress.....while we will not be building a new shaft any time soon, we do try to encourage guests to drop their bags with valet prior to self parking and we are also installing directional signage to our pool elevator which does actually provide elevator service from that level.

We are sorry that we weren't able to implement this prior to your arrival but we do hope that you will utilize one of these options on any future visits. Thank you for your comments.
nyc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

this is most defintiely a conference hotel - the coffee bar in the morning was lovely - the walk to the beach very nice - the'tude from the beach staff we could have done without and the rooms were very average. generally everyone was helpful and nice - the hotel feels a bit used

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
We were happy to hear that your overall stay was enjoyable and we appreciate you sharing your feedback. You have made reference to some areas that may need improvement and we wll continue to look into ways to make this happen. We truly value your patronage and hope to see you again in the future.
Schilde
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Great hotel,
very friendly staff,
clean and spacious rooms,
beautiful view,
great facilities,
Food is superb (especially strip house),
..... just marvellous!!!!

Way to the beach is just a romance in itsself.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Donna C, Executive Assistant at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you!! We will be sure to share your compliments with our team!
Plantation, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This Hotel was a huge dissapointment. My wife and I have stayed at several Waldorf Astoria properties and have always been extremely pleased. Upon arrival we were rudely informed that the king room we had booked was unavailable. They really didn't seem to care at all. After much discussion, a king room magically became available. We were ushered up to the room only to discover a moldy musty smell to which my wife immediately had an allergic reaction. The room consisted of well worn average decor and fetured cracks in the ceiling, mold in the shower to name a few. It was just plain rundown. We did not stay. With the help of American express, we relocated to another property and salvaged our weekend after wasting hours and enduring rude treatment.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Donna C, Executive Assistant at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share this issue with us. Please send me via private messge, your contact details so we can speak directly with you about your experience and work to ensure that the matter is handled with the utmost care and attention. donna.cox@waldorfastoria.com
Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

First of all, I am consistently looking for top notch places to stay when we travel. We stay at 4 and 5 star hotels/ resorts in the US and abroad; in my opinion this Waldorf was on par with others (meaning excellent). As my wife and I are expecting, we were trying to sneak in a quick babymoon during our holiday trip to Naples. I contacted the manager ahead of time to request an early check-in and he went way above and beyond to not only accommodate our schedule but to make the entire experience exceptional. The hotel staff was welcoming and helpful at every step of the way. We enjoyed eating lunch at the poolside restaurant both days [the cobb salad is great!] and we enjoyed breakfast at the hotel buffet. Our room was immaculate, as was the rest of the hotel. The gulf view was gorgeous at sunset. We had fun taking the tram ride to the beach (learned some stuff about mangroves from the friendly senior citizen driving the tram :) and the beach was fantastic- soft sand and nice chairs (for free); umbrellas/ cabanas were also available for a fee (but we did not use them). We also enjoyed several services at the spa and thought it was great! The spa facilities were clean and very serene (just what my pregnant wife wanted). All in all, this was a great stay largely due to superior management (thank you to Mr. Hansen) and friendly, helpful staff at the hotel and spa. We will most certainly be returning to the hotel again when we convince the grandma to take the baby for a night or two.

Room Tip: Request a high floor to see over the mangrove preserve to the water though I feel there would be a v...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hunter H, General Manager at Naples Grande Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Michael, thank you so much for your kind words, it was great to meet you both and we are just happy to hear you enjoyed your time with us. Good luck with your upcoming delivery, let us know when your new addition arrives! Happy New Year!

Been to Naples Grande Beach Resort? Share your experiences!