* La Playa's Beach Proximity is #1 in Naples*: If proximity to a very walkable beach-front ocean is your #1 priority, and you're willing to pay for that priority alone, this is definitely the place. I don't think I've ever stayed somewhere that you could touch the sandy beach while eating your gourmet breakfast in the hotel restaurant. It's pretty amazing. Vanderbilt Beach (where La Playa is located) is a much softer, much cleaner, much deeper and much more-long-walkable beach than any beach I've been to in the Miami or West Palm area.
* Consistent Service / Nice Facilities *: For the most part, the service at La Playa was fantastic. The pools were great and the food at the two restaurants ("Baleen," the nicer indoor spot for all meals and the "Tiki" bar outside for pool-side and beach-side casual fare) were really good. We toured the spa and it seemed very nice and the fitness center was adequate (not state of the art or impressive, but adequate).
* My biggest issue --- La Playa needs a real make-over for these prices*: On our five day stay over MLK weekend, me/my husband/4-year old son, my sister/7-year old niece and our parents had three rooms all located on the top floor of the "Tower" part of the hotel; most likely considered the nicest rooms on the entire property:
(1) a suite, #1510 for $1768/night,
(2) a premium beach front room connecting to the suite, which was a great feature for our family, #1508 for $731/night and
(3) another beach front room adjacent to the others, #1506 for $731/night
= Total base rate for our family of about $3,200++ per night. In my humble opinion, for that kind of money, the hotel cannot rely on beach proximity alone… the entire property is absolutely in need of either a light renovation or hefty make-over (some suggestions: how about some fresh carpet in the rooms? A real look into possible mold issues in the bathrooms? A more current/faster elevator system with a little security? Some soft closing toilet lids? Bath hardware that's not rusting? Rain showerheads? Toilets that don't constantly run? Or a little tidying up at turn-down-service time?). None of these are real problems, but when you're paying this kind of money, the accommodations should be totally on point.
* Great Sleep *: The beds and linens are absolutely phenomenal. Period. We all slept great.
* Not Kid Friendly (when it's cold outside)*: I made a rookie mistake on this trip ---- I should have taken into consideration what it would be like for two young kids at an admittedly not-so-kid-friendly resort IF the weather was crummy. Unfortunately, we had 50-60 degree weather for 4 of our 5 days here; the beach wasn't remotely an option and the pool scene was desperate.
* The Pool Situation *: La Playa has a hot tub and 4 very heated pools; one of which is a very 4-year-old friendly pool with depths around 3' throughout; this pool is small and was kept extremely warm during our stay which we appreciated; the other three pools were too large to keep at a supremely warm temperature (although the pool staff did their best to try). If it weren't for the small very warm 'children's pool,' I honestly don't know what we would have done with the kids for the 4 freezing cold days. When it's cold, there's really nothing for kids to do at La Playa ---- period. On our last day, the sun came out ---- the kids were on the beach the entire day and it was complete bliss. Beach service was incredible --- they didn't miss a beat. We had dinner on the patio outside --- the kids could run in the fresh cut lawn while we drank our Sauvignon Blanc and it was absolutely magical.
* La Playa vs. The Ritz*: They are basically the same price. So, if you're going on an adult-only vacation, I would probably lean towards La Playa for the beach proximity and the more intimate setting. If you're going with children, even though the beach at La Playa wins, it's not worth the risk of bad weather (The Ritz will have more for the kids to do, particularly on cold weather non-beach/non-pool days).
Our trip wasn't perfect, but as a family, we made it perfect. The experience specific to La Playa had it's hiccups…. I should note, a 200 person 4-night awards conference began at La Playa for an auto dealer on Friday night and this caused a lot of frustration among the few non-conference guests (ie our family). I would suggest to anyone visiting La Playa to be sure to ask if there will be any sort of conference during your stay (they tend to take over the property and it's frustrating). After respectfully voicing our frustrations, the front office manager (Maria H.) acknowledged the issues, recognized the impact on our stay and offered us an adjustment on one of our night's rates which we definitely appreciated; she really gave us stellar customer service which is representative of the type of property La Playa is striving to be.
Try to avoid rooms on the third level as the property's kitchen is on the 2nd level. My "P...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Thank you for your detailed review regarding your recent experience at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort. We recognize our guests have many options when selecting accommodations, and we like to think our unique setting, world class service, and well maintained facility assists in many guests choosing LaPlaya!
Report response as inappropriate
Your comments regarding our location and overall friendly staff are noted, and I have shared your review with our entire team. Achieving consistent service, as you put it, is difficult to achieve in a industry with so many variables like hospitality and I was pleased to see we made the mark during your stay.
The team at LaPlaya prides itself on achieving the entire experience however, and we are sad to see that we didn't exceed expectations in all areas. Typically, we receive high marks in attention to detail items such as housekeeping and overall quality of our resort, and I'm sorry this wasn't the case throughout your stay. We have a extensive preventative maintenance program, and we try to stay ahead of the items you listed so our guests don't have to point them out. Clearly, we missed the mark with some items in your room and we will make them right.
We have recently completed some final upgrades to our guestrooms, and look forward to showing them off as we enter high season. Your comments regarding the price point are also recognized. We take a great deal of time in reviewing our price strategies to make sure we achieve a price point consistent with our competition and amenities offered. Thanks for your feedback on extra touches, the Housekeeping Director and myself had a conversation this morning on some additional ideas.
We are happy to see that you and your family enjoyed your visit overall. While your review wasn't our best, we can't improve unless we hear what our guests say and make adjustments to our plan. I appreciate your taking the time to rate your experience, and hope you will consider LapPaya again in the future.
If you have other details of your stay you would like to share, please feel free to contact me.
Jason K. Moll
Director of Rooms
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.