“Spectacular!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples

You added LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples to your Saves list
LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples
4.5 of 5 Resort   |   9891 Gulf Shore Drive, Naples, FL 34108 (North Naples)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
$50/night Resort Credit
Ranked #3 of 58 Hotels in Naples
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NY City
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’ve stayed at luxury resorts (Four Seasons, Ritz, et al) but this moderately sized property has an appeal and charm that actually made it more relaxing for me than the standard luxe resort. I could go on about the marble reception area, beautifully landscaped pools and cozy bathrobes but those things are pretty de rigueur and alone do not define a fine resort. It’s the service: first, last and always.

What made their service so outstanding, and actually, preferable to the big name luxury resorts? Four things, and not in any order…

1. Eye contact. Everyone from the bus boy to the front desk manager looked me directly in the eye when speaking to me. Think about how often someone in service will look in your direction, but not always squarely in the face for the entire conversation. It may seem small, but it makes you realize that at that moment, you are their only guest. Nothing else, no one else matters to that person. The bartender didn’t ask what I wanted while he wiped down the bar, or rinsed glasses. He stopped and gave me his full attention.

2. Sincere friendliness. I was spared the canned niceties. For example when I called the spa I didn’t hear, “It’s a beautiful day at Spa Terre and I thank you for considering our services; with whom to I have the pleasure of speaking?” I am never impressed by someone who memorized the Good Service Playbook. The staff at LaPlaya were real, genuine, and felt free to show their warmth in their own way. You knew the smile was real. I heard “Are you going to the beach today?” or “I hope we don’t get another thunderstorm.” There was friendly, but not familiar chatter with graciousness and even humor.

3. Non-invasive attention. I’ve been in hotels where the staff freezes in the hallway, stands back to the wall, eyes fixed straight ahead when you near them. It’s some variation on the treatment Queen Elizabeth gets and word is even SHE doesn’t like that much formality. It’s not comfortable. It doesn’t make me feel special. It makes me feel like I have a spotlight following me around, and that’s not relaxing. Instead, if I was walking towards a door a staff member was near they just quietly held the door for me, and gave me a smile. No big deal. I knew they were observing me, but they weren’t making a big deal out of it. My towel into fell into a puddle by the pool; someone brought me a clean one. No words exchanged. Just an unobtrusive rectification. I knew the staff was observant, but they were not overt.

4. Efficiency. At breakfast, a server other than mine, noticed I was looking for my own. He didn’t say, “I’ll get your waiter,” but instead, “I’ll take care of you.” Within minutes my own server returned with my request. It was obvious that each member of each staff group (food and beverage, beach service, housekeeping, front desk) knew they were an important member of a team, and were ready to play any position.
This was my firs, but certainly not my last visit to LaPlaya. And I am eyeing closely other Noble House properties.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your positive review of LaPlaya! Of course we are pleased to read about any positive guest experience, but I have to say that there is something special about a review that touches on our team’s service. There are a lot of nice resorts with nice rooms and facilities, but we firmly believe that friendly, attentive service is the truly defining factor in creating an enjoyable visit. It’s what we aim for daily here at LaPlaya!

Reading about your service experience and observations during your recent trip is a true pleasure. We are fortunate to have a dedicated team of hospitality professionals that understand the importance of great service. After all, we take vacations too – and we know the difference that personalized service can create. I will be sure to share your review with our team, as I am sure that it will make their week!

Thank you again for choosing our resort for your visit. Being an independently owned and operated property, the support of our guests means a lot to us. Our entire team works together to make your visit a special one, and your support and recommendation are truly appreciated. We only hope to once again be of service on a future trip to Naples.

Rooms Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
Plano, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband, my Mom and I stayed at LaPlaya for 8 days. 8 days of being spoiled with amazing service. It was hard to leave!! Our rooms were in the beach tower. We had 6th floor rooms and the view was incredible!! The balconies are very big and private, which we loved. The bathroom was very spacious and the marble was gorgeous. The bed was somewhat hard and my husband and I woke up with back aches. We have a ComforPedic at home and are spoiled by our nice mattress. And the towels were very hard. It would be nice to have some luxurious, soft towels to dry off with. Drying off with a hard towel, especially with a sunburn, was not pleasant. But the hotel itself and the service we received was incredible. Front desk service was very polite and check-in was fast. Valet service was always very fast and the guys were very friendly, we even met a valet guy from Plano, Texas, where we live. Small world. We only dined at Baleen for breakfast but loved our waitress Julie! Shaun and Corey were our favorite pool/beach boys and they took great care of us!! They were both very friendly with great personalities. Billy....not so much. We loved just raising the flag and having full service right on the beach. It truly doesn't get better than that! The food at the Tiki Bar was good but I wished they would have mentioned their specials. We overheard someone saying they had shrimp quesadillas on special one day. We weren't aware of the specials. After a few days the lunch menu got kind of old, so we ate lunch elsewhere. The beach was beautiful and clean, and we were lucky enough to see dolphins swimming by on several occasions, and the day before we left, there was a family of manatee's swimming right by the shore!!! We rented a waverunner one afternoon and had a blast. On our last night we spoke with the concierge, Diane, and asked her where a good place to dine was, offsite from the hotel. We also casually mentioned it was my birthday and my Mom's. She suggested Chop's on 5th. She called and made a reservation for us, and were able to get us in on a very busy night! The restaurant was really good. Upon arriving back in our room, we had a bottle of champagne and a very nice note from Diane to have some champagne and enjoy our birthday celebrations....wow.....very impressed!!! We can't wait to go back to LaPlaya someday. We miss it already!

Room Tip: Beachfront is gorgeous....we did regular beachfront, not premium. But it was still fabulous on the 6...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your recent trip to Naples! It’s a pleasure to read about your overall enjoyable visit. We aim to provide our guests with many services and amenities – and it really does appear that you got to enjoy most of them. Great call on the wave runner as well. It’s hard to beat that thrill, particular on the calm waters of Vanderbilt Beach.

Our daily mission is to provide our guests with a clean, well maintained facility with superb food and beverage – all provided by a friendly, attentive staff. It’s great to read that we succeeded, and I am sure that our entire team will enjoy reading your comments. We’ll just have to do a little better with your bedding and towel comfort in the future, as we do want your trip to be perfect from start to finish.

Thank you again for your visit and support. We, too, hope that you are able to visit us once again in the future.

Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I shared a romantic weekend at the Laplaya and were awestruck at the excellence of service, the beautiful room, the nearnes of the facilities for fun and food, pristine conditions everywhere you looked, elegance and great food at the Baleen.
From the valet service to front-office staff to maintenace (we had one minor issue in our bathroom which was competently, pleasantly and speedily resolved), to service folks everywhere, the satff is well trained t be customer focused and working with smiles to exceed customer expectations. The wine-list is outstanding and not un-reasably priced. With a delicious Chardonnay pre-dinner accompanied with a fabolous sun-set the vacation is a clar "repeat"!

Tom and Linda
Naples, FL

Room Tip: Higher floors in the Gulf Tower overlooking the ocea.
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for choosing LaPlaya for your romantic getaway! We are fortunate to have such an extraordinary location that is an ideal choice for a vacation with your special someone. We then do our best to compliment our location with friendly, attentive service and superb food and beverage – the perfect combination.

It’s a pleasure to read about your enjoyable visit, and we also appreciate you noting Baleen’s wine list. Wine Spectator recently honored our list with its coveted Two Glass Award, a designation that truly encompasses our efforts to provide our dining guests with an extensive selection and value.

We always enjoy taking care of our fellow Naples residents – and hope to do so again someday soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at Laplaya this past week and we could not have been happier with our visit. We always love watching the most amazing Sunset views while eating an amazing dinner at Baleen. The beach access is so convenient and we love taking long walks on the beach. Naples is a great town and we love the high end shopping and dining options only minutes from the Resort. Whether we want to have a casual lunch and relax at the pool or read a book on the spacious balcony in our room, we always make Laplaya our destination of choice in Naples.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
From all of us at LaPlaya, congratulations once again on your Honeymoon! We’re honored to have been part of your celebratory trip, and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

Easy access to the beach, superb food and beverage, and those amazing views all do contribute to a truly relaxing visit. We’re glad that you both had such an great time, and couldn’t be more pleased to read that we are now your destination of choice in Naples!

We hope to welcome you back on your first anniversary, if not before!

Sarasota, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

As a frequent traveler, staying in high end properties every chance I get, I confidently booked a mini getaway to LaPlaya... which used to be (past tense) one of my absolute favorite places to stay. Things apparently have changed, and if I had to pinpoint exactly what changes were made since my last visit (about a year ago) I would say that the rooms need to be updated a bit and "cramped" for 2 people? The beds still remain super comfy.. the pillows and linens are still heavenly, and the amazing view will always remain amazing. If you are looking to be pampered in the service sense, I'm afraid you might be a little disappointed? That desire to "please" just seemed like the missing link. The grounds are beautiful. The pool is nice, but just "nice".. no "wow" factor?! This hotel used to be "on par" with The Ritz, just down the street.. but now, it seems like just a "nice" place to stay..and nothing over the top, as the price tag warrants? If you do stay here, do not even think of staying anyplace but the main building, and pay the extra price tag for the view. But, it will only be the view that "wows" you! Sorry, La Playa?!

Room Tip: Stay in main building, if you stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for returning to LaPlaya for your recent visit to Naples. It’s great to read about your continued enjoyment of our custom bedding package – and of course those amazing views and the always enticing beach and pool area. However, it is clear from your comments that we fell short in some areas, a factor that is just as disappointing to us. We want your entire visit at LaPlaya to be consistently memorable time after time, and I am sorry that this was not the case during your recent trip.

I will be sure to share your review with our team as we really pride ourselves on offering friendly, attentive service at each and every turn. We understand that our room product is important as well, and have indeed made several changes over the past year to furnishings, artwork, carpet, and lighting fixtures. We will continue to work to improve our product and service, as we really do want you to be able to book LaPlaya with confidence.

Thank you again for choosing LaPlaya, and for taking the time to critique your visit. We do hope that we’ll have the opportunity to be of service once again in the future, as we are certain that we can provide you with the experience that you expect and deserve. If I may be of any assistance now, or in the future, please feel free to contact me directly.

cgrossman@laplayaresort.com
239.597.3123 Ext. 5916
cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We are only here for two nights but what a joy to spend in such a beautiful hotel. Gorgeous room with great amenities for my disabled son. Fabulous view over the beach from the balcony. Lots to do around Naples. Went to there restaurant on first night and the food was delicious. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013
Even a two night stay is a great way to get some quick rest and relaxation at LaPlaya! Thank you for your visit and for taking the time to share your positive experience at our boutique resort. We hope you’ll be able to return and once again to enjoy the amazing views and our superb food and beverage.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Tiky Bar - We were recognised from a visit 3 years ago to La Playa and welcomed back by Alis as if we were family. She has been so friendly and efficient that it has been a pleasure to eat lunch there every day and be served by her. All the staff were very good but Alis in particular forms a connection with the guests.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris G, Manager at LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples, responded to this review, September 1, 2013
Thank you for once again choosing LaPlaya for your recent visit to Naples! While it’s a pleasure to read about any instance of exceptional service, reviews that mention our staff by name are extra special to us. We are fortunate to have hospitality professionals like Alis who really understand the importance of friendly, attentive service. And we appreciate you taking the time to share your kind comments – they will surely make Alis’ day!

Thank you again for your continued support. We all look forward to welcoming you back on a future visit to Naples.

Rooms Manager

Been to LaPlaya Beach & Golf Resort Naples? Share your experiences!