“Great Stay and Good Value for the Money” 5 of 5 stars

BREAKFAST ON THE BAY
Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Naples
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati
“Great Stay and Good Value for the Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

After reviewing several properties in Naples for a five night stay, we chose Naples Bay based on the amenities offered and the value for the money. I think many past reviewers have been unfair in their assessment of this property and simply failed to do their homework when evaluating the best location for their budget and needs.

WEBSITE and PRE-CHECKIN EXPERIENCE
The website was easy to use, the photos fairly depicted the resort and the rooms. The map shows the layout of the entire resort so you understand what you are booking and where. The resort fees were disclosed and I was able to request a room on a high floor which we were given. We received an email from the property several days in advance of our stay to advise us of the concierge services and to offer personal assistance with reservations prior to arrival.

ARRIVAL AT RSW
Checkin is at 4:00, but due to our flight we would arrive closer to 3:00. I called the resort from the baggage claim area to see if our room was available and after waiting a few minutes was told it was available and we were welcome to check in anytime we would like.

CHECK IN AND ARRIVAL
Upon arrival we were greeted by a friendly valet who offered baggage assistance. We were greeted at the front desk by Britton who inquired about our journey, welcomed us and helped to orient us to the resort. Our keys were provided in a folio which listed all the amenities available to us. It included business hours for pools, restaurants, spa and gym, as well as information about beach chairs, umbrellas and the shuttle times were listed. I really can't understand how other guests claim they didn't know what was available to them when all that information is given to you WITH YOUR KEY. There was no towel lecture. We chose to self park and appreciated the underground garage to keep the car cool.

We opted for a one bedroom suite with a marina view and were very pleased with the choice. It was clean, well-appointed, and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Coffee and tea were provided, along with kitchen linens, dish soap, dishwasher detergent, and paper towels. Ice and water dispenser in the refrigerator door tasted filtered which was appreciated. The kitchen also had a blender, microwave, smooth cooktop and plenty of counter space. Impressed to find a wine chiller in the cabinets! The only kitchen item I didn't find but could have used was a pair of scissors.

The washer/dryer were Duet front loading stackables and laundry detergent was provided. It was difficult to find since it was placed on top of the dryer. The 6'5" husband found that one.

The balcony was generous and had two padded, sling style chairs with ottomans and a small cocktail table. The ceiling fan helped to keep the balcony cool. No issues at all with biting insects in the evening out there.

The bed was comfortable as were the pillows. Bath linens were of good quality. The bathtub was a bit on the small side, but would be nice if you have small children to bathe. The shower had a rainshower style head. A hook for towels closer to the shower might have been helpful.

The room was quiet at night. No hallway noise or noise from the marina.

THE SHUTTLE
I won't go into detail about where the shuttle goes because if you do your homework you'll easily find this information. Our driver Tony was kind, smiling and friendly. He loaded beach equipment in for us and dropped us one easy block from the pier. He picked us up exactly when he said he would. On the day we drove ourselves to the beach, he gave us all the same items to load into our car. The shuttles always ran on time which was appreciated. Naples Bay uses Mercedes shuttles and they are clean and comfortable. You can also book these shuttles to locations other than the ones included in your stay for a charge. The zone map is at the front desk. Yes, this property is about a 5-10 minute drive to the beach, but if you did your homework you would know that. A room with just a bed and shower at the Ritz Carlton, which is on the beach, is at a minimum 2.5 times more expensive.

THE CLUB
The walk to the club is very easy. You can opt to walk along the main road which is the most direct route or take a walk through gardens which is a little less direct. We chose the main road. Some reviewers have complained about this walk which we found amusing. If you are under the age of 75 and find this walk difficult, then perhaps you should evaluate your fitness. It is along a divided road with three lanes on either side. I believe the speed limit was 40 or 45. There is a high curb, and the sidewalk is flat, wide and in good condition. The people who are intimidated by this road must hail from Mayberry. You do have to cross a street, but there is a light and a crossing indicator. It takes LESS than 5 minutes to walk. Even if you are carrying a tote bag, it is not difficult at all. If you can't walk, the shuttle will take you to the club and all you have to do is call the front desk when you want to come back and they will pick you up anytime.

We used the gym facilities which were clean and in good repair. The standard cardio (ellipticals, bikes, spinning bikes, stairclimbers, and treadmills) were available along with weight machines, three adjustable benches and dumbbells to 65 pounds. There was a Smith machine with a total of four 45lb plates and also cables with attachments that I believe went to 110lbs. No power rack or Olympic bench. Pilates, spinning, yoga and other classes were offered but we didn't use them. The locker rooms and showers could have been cleaner, but lockers were available as were a sauna and steam room. Towels and water were available, but take your own bottle.

THE POOLS
Pool area was clean and maintained. Chilled water was available in various locations around the pool and there are some seats that are shaded if you desire. There are a few noodles and pool toys to share. The waterfalls help to drown out the sound of the kids screaming. I felt that the grill staff should have circulated more often to remove dirty dishes and offer drinks. The whirlpools are not hot. The pool water temperature was comfortable.

TOWELS
I can't even believe I'm writing this. Towels are provided and not policed. Towels are available at the front desk, the valet station, the club pools, and even at the ship's store if you rent a boat.

BOAT RENTAL
Excellent experience here which I'll review on their page. If you have interest in this, do not hesitate.

WHAT'S NEARBY
We found a nice little grocery called Oakes Farms Market for our food and beverage supplies for our stay. Lots of beautiful, fresh local produce, gourmet food items, and over 600 wines to choose from. If you need something to nosh with your balcony cocktail you can find it here along with lots of options to prepare an easy dinner or breakfast. It is walking distance from the hotel, but since it was 90 degrees and we had dairy items, we opted to drive.

Tin City is also easy walking distance. If you become weary of dining with the swells on 5th, you can get a decent meal here for a much more reasonable price. The ambiance couldn't be more opposite though.

CHECKOUT
One day prior to our checkout, I visited Britton at the front desk to determine if we could check out at 12:30 instead of 11:00. She told me that the owner of our unit was coming on the day of our departure so we couldn't do that. She did offer us a key to the club so that we could use the pools and locker rooms there prior to our departure for the airport. Upon checkout, we were provided with an itemized bill to review prior to the charges being applied to our credit card.

My suggestion to Naples Bay would be to follow up with guests in the form of a survey at departure. Other similar properties we have enjoyed have done this in electronic form which is helpful. Other than that, the only additional service I've appreciated at similar resorts is evening turndown service. I didn't request it, and I don't know if it would have been made available to us.

We appreciated Naples Bay Resort and all of their smiling, helpful employees. We look forward to our next visit!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PhillipStarling, General Manager at Naples Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Cincytrips4fun

Let me personally take a moment to thank you for writing what must be TripAdvisor's most thorough and well-written review ever. We are so glad that you took the time to write this lengthy report about your stay with us at Naples Bay Resort.

There is honestly no room to add to this incredible review. You did such a spectacular job detailing every facet of the property in a way that helps me understand how guests experience their time here on a whole.

So instead, we would like to speak with you privately off of TripAdvisor to discuss your return visit. Please email me directly at pstarling@naplesbayresort.com so that we may begin this conversation.

Phillip Starling

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed there for 5 days - right on the bay, with very nice rooms and staff. Close to 5th Ave restaurants/shops and the pier/beach, with hotel shuttles to take you back/forth. We stayed in a room with living area and full kitchen. Worked great for a longer stay. Other side of hotel had larger cottages for families. Quiet and pleasant. Would have been nicer if walking distance to beach, but otherwise worked great.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Maggie O, General Manager at Naples Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Marjorie B

Thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us at Naples Bay Resort. And thank you for spending a week with us! What a great vacation, indeed.

We think that it is great that you found the rooms well appointed. The in-room kitchens and living rooms certainly help make it feel like a home away from home, but better! There is just something about coffee on your own personal balcony overlooking the marina that really starts a day off right. We are glad you found the freedom to do that here so pleasant.

Next time you hop down here for a lengthy stay, try renting a couple of our bikes to get to and from downtown and the beaches. Brings a whole new level of adventure to your vacation!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014 via mobile

All the nice things peoples say about the resort are true:clean,nice sized rooms, views of the boats.... The only thing I had issue was the distance to the beach. The resort will give a ride to the beach but that is an indication of the distance. People from our group did walk to the beach but it likely is 2 miles. It is an easy bike ride, but don't think you will be walking back and forth often.

That said both the beach and them resort is very nice

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Minnesota_Rob

We appreciate you taking the time to write up a review of your stay with us at Naples Bay Resort. It's always so informative reading guest reviews.

It is so great that you were able to take advantage of the fun available here on property and in Naples, Florida as a town. The beach here is unmatched by any other!

And while we are not directly on the beach, we are more than happy to provide you with multiple ways to get there. The walk is beautiful, but maybe a little too long for some. So we have provided guests with the free shuttle and even with bikes that are available for rent! It's a choose-your-own-adventure type of vacation here! And we are glad that you chose us!

We hope to see you and your group here at Naples Bay Resort soon!

Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I had a pretty unpleasant stay my first time here due to this hotel charging my card 5 times when they should have only done it once. Well the manager was nice enough to give me a free stay to try and make it up to me, which I was very appreciative. Well it didn't work out very well. This was supposed to be a completely free stay and when I arrive at the front desk I hand the lady behind the desk my free stay vouchers and she goes ahead and authorized my card for almost 800.00. I was disappointed that this happened again. Where they even got that number from I have no idea seeing that the rooms were 299.00 a night. So there is extra money there I am not sure where they got it from. This hold is actually still on my card as of today and probably won't fall off until Tuesday. The front desk is just not trained properly period. Whenever I call them or ask them anything in person they just seem clueless or it takes multiple people to give me actual assistance. The assistant manager attempted to reverse the hold for me and she was very nice but I knew it wasn't going to change anything. This hotel gets very "authorize" happy and I don't think they realize that those funds are unavailable when they authorize someone's card. If I would have had an emergency with my 3 month old and needed that I would have been out of luck. The room also wasn't very clean. My wife usually goes through the room and wipes things down even with a clean room and the main bathroom had this brown streak on top of the toilet and there was something sticky on the kitchen counter. The stay was average at best and we won't be staying again. Most of the trip I was just annoyed that this happened for the second time. Majority of the fun we had was off the hotel.

Room Tip: If you stay at this hotel make sure you check your credit card balance after you check in.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Jeff S.

We are sorry that there was more confusion surrounding your return stay with us Naples Bay Resort.

While the stay in the rooms was free of charge, any incidentals would not have been free hence the hold. A hold of $800 was, in fact, incorrect so there is an opportunity to investigate why the amount was so high. But our front desk staff was correct in placing a hold on the card.

We have reached out to your privately to discuss this matter in a more direct manner. We look forward to you returning our calls.

Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

We visited in the beginning of April and had a nice stay, but there were a couple small issues that left us kind of indifferent. We replied to an email from the resort when we returned home as mentioned our indifference, what happened next definitely made a BIG difference. The general manager at the property personally called me the next day to speak with us about our stay. I told him that we had had a very nice stay, but his response was that he wanted every guest to leave feeling that had an "exceptional" stay.
So, since we live on the East Coast and regularly skip out to the Keys or the West Coast on weekends, we decided to give the Naples Bay Resort another try. Our stay was absolutely perfect! The suite was large, spacious, and well appointed. Linens and toiletries were of good quality and plentiful, and again the boat rentals were excellent with great customer service just like we had experienced on our first visit.
All in all, every visit to a resort isn't always perfect, but it is the reaction of the management and staff to an issue that makes a great resort! Naples Bay has definitely earned us as loyal customers and we will be making them part of our list of regular resorts for weekend getaways!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
CaSandra A,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review regarding your return trip to Naples Bay Resort.

It is an absolute joy to hear that we have left you with an exceptional impression. We are overjoyed that you chose to come back and stay with us again. And even more excited to learn that you have now become superfans of our fine resort.

We look forward to seeing you on your next weekend expedition!

Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

The hotel staff was extremely wonderful! Our Suite was amazing... This is a beautiful and clean Resort... The pools were wonderful and beautiful! One was a lazy river pool with waterfalls that you could float around in inner tubes. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone coming to the Naples area!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Maggie O, Public Relations Manager at Naples Bay Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Psyche9777,

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay with us here at Naples Bay Resort. We appreciate your kind words.

That lazy river really is one of the gems of the Club area on property. If there is a better way to spend a day on vacation when all you want to do is relax, we haven't figured that out yet. When we do, we'll add that too. But for now, you'll find us traveling down the lazy river with drink in hand dreaming up our next big thing!

Can't wait to see you again! Until then...

Maggie O.
Public Relations Manager
Dunblane, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

This is our 8th or 9th stay in the Resort since it opened, our first being back in 2009 when we stayed at a privately owned Cottage. It is therefore disappointing when such customer loyalty is not rewarded by so much as a ..."nice to have you back...". Indeed, Roxy, who has been there since we first started using the Resort looked me in the eye without the slightest flicker of recognition! The only Staff who have always been great to deal with are Tony (and previously Doug) and Tom at the front door. They always remember our names and when we were last in the Resort and always take time to chat, even if its only about the weather!

All the nice things they say about the Resort are true so I wont bother repeating them in the review and no doubt we will continue to use the Naples Bay Resort (over the past 17 years we have been to the Naples Beach, The Registry (now Waldorf Astoria) and the Bellasera) as we think it is one of the best appointed resorts in Naples...however, the front desk staff and indeed other staff who wander around the place need a lesson in customer service or even just to learn to smile!

Having booked our most recent trip some 10 months in advance and asked for a specific room...guess what...they couldn't even manage to sort that out for us. So much for customer loyalty.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
alfaman159,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on one of your many stays with us at Naples Bay Resort. It's always so interesting to read the feedback from those who know us best.

You are absolutely right about how we are greeting return guests. The system we have in place that alerts us of return visitors is clearly not working well and this is definitely something to look into.

We are thankful for each and every guest that stays with us, especially the superfans like yourself. We want you to feel welcome and appreciated while here. So thank you for taking the time to give us your honest assessment of your experience so that we can fix this for future visits.

We do look forward to seeing you again. Let us know how we do when you come back.

Maggie O.
Public Relations Manager

Been to Naples Bay Resort? Share your experiences!