“Excellent food and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chez Boet-French Home Cooking

Chez Boet-French Home Cooking
755 12th Avenue South, Naples, FL 34102 (Formerly Bamboo Cafe) (Old Naples)
239-643-6177
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chez Boet-French Home Cooking is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #98 of 831 Restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: French
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Doing business, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night Food, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Cross street: 8th Street South
Transit: We are located in the historic village of Crayton Cove, steps from the City Dock in downtown Naples, Florida.
Description: Established in 2003, Chez Boet, formerly Bamboo Cafe, is a chic neighborhood bistro serving country French cuisine and owned and operated by Lisa & Philippe Boet. The menu reflects the Boets’ experiences in France spending long weekends in the French countryside with family and friends, cooking traditional, home-style dishes with what came from the family farm and garden.Under the direction of Lisa Boet, Chez Boet's culinary team prepares dishes including Pate Maison, French Onion Soup, Bouillabaisse, Roasted Orange Duck, Boeuf Bourguignon, along with fresh local seafood and authentic Moroccan tagines, served with locally grown, seasonal produce.Cheese and Chocolate Fondue is also on the menu. Chez Boet has a full bar with cocktails prepared by Philippe Boet, varied wine list, and covered terrace for outdoor dining. Private parking in rear. Healthy children’s menu and pet-friendly terrace. Proud founder of Naples Originals, the finest independent restaurants. Chez Boet has been named the City of Naples first certified green restaurant.
Branford, Connecticut
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful meal at Chez Boet with friends last night. The chicken liver appetizer is to die for and the duck entree was cooked to perfection. Nice wine list of reasonably priced wines. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the escargot as well. Our server, Christopher, was a delight and the owners have certainly perfected making you feel at home. It's a warm cozy environment. The noise level is low even when the restaurant was full so you could talk comfortably. Overall a lovely experience

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Gibsonia
“Freshest ingredients and impeccable food and service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

We have been dining at this restaurant for the last several years and it is one of our favorites in Naples. It is actually my husband's favorite restaurant in Naples. Everything that we have ever gotten here has been excellent. I took my family of 10 people here last summer after the nearby Sunset Cruise and it was their favorite restaurant we went to also.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Wauwatosa
“Nice location, average food.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

We ate out on the small patio on a beautiful night. The service was great and unobtrusive, but the food was just average (tangine, snapper).

Visited February 2014
NY
“Absolutely Horrible. Really really horrible the worst! $230 of Barf”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

We just returned home from one of the worst meals we have ever had in Naples Florida.
After reading some of the reviews here and seeing that some seemed to complain about a lengthy wait for food and reading how “homemade” everything was and how that was the reason why it took time etc., we were very excited about trying this restaurant.
We have a home here in Naples as well as in Europe and NY and we are both originally from Europe (Germany and Portugal) so we had wonderful expectations.
We arrived for dinner and were greeted by the owner obviously French. Great!!!
When asked where we would like to sit I explained I wanted a table where there was light because the place was a bit dark. The owner said he had a flash light…. Really... and he then brought it out… We took that as a normal French thing lol.
Then came the waiter. Since we wanted to sample several things we decided to drink Champagne with diner. We asked the waiter what was the driest champagne on their list... Answer... they are all dry… Ok, what would you recommend with dinner…? They are all good….. Ok….. Moving on…
We decided to try the Foie Gras, the Escargot, and the French onion soup to start.
The Foie Gras was adequate, the Escargot was not at all interesting and the French onion soup tasted like it was cooked by someone from Mexico. (No offence but leave the French food to the French).
Totally underwhelming.
For the main meal we ordered the duck and the red snapper.
During the meal NEVER ONCE did the waiter come and refill our glasses, or clean the crumbs from the table or anything at all, I did my job as a waiter keeping my wife’s glass filled.
Then came the meal.
The duck truly was cooked last week. Really. First of all it came out within minutes. How possible?
It was dry, shriveled, and basically it looked and tasted like duck that McDonalds would serve up.
The red snapper was better, at least it was fresh.
The waiter asked my wife if she didn’t like the duck. She politely said, it was ok, not my favorite… He insisted, and she finally said, no I did not like it…. I wish you would say so said our mostly missing waiter.
Then came the owner, not the French man who greeted us but a woman. She asked again you didn't like the food…. I said, we were underwhelmed. She then started grilling my wife about why she did not like the duck. My wife tried to explain that we were both from Europe originally and that is not how it is made there… The woman never heard most of what she said… she went into a recitation about how she has many customers from NY (obviously all she heard was my wife’s German NY accent and not at all what she was saying) and how everyone loves it… Obviously it must be our fault.
$230 dollars with the tip. For absolutely scatology of the worst kind.
Naples has amazing restaurants this is NOT one of them. You can get better food and certainly better service at the Olive Garden or burger King.
They made NO ATEMPT AT ALL to make it better in any way. No sorry, not try us again, a free glass of wine nothing at all. Just the huge bill.
If you are interested in spending huge amounts of money for inferior food this is the place for you. Otherwise PASS, run the other way.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
lisamkboet, Owner at Chez Boet-French Home Cooking, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear Sir:

I remember your table well simply because it is rare when I have a guest speak to me in such a condescending manner.

I must admit, I initially thought this was "Much Ado About Duck" and was surprised how one dish could elicit such vile remarks. After all, you seemingly enjoyed the locally-caught snapper special and your son enjoyed his Wagyu Kobe beef dish, as his plate was clean.

Your comments referencing bodily functions and McDonald’s food confirmed my suspicions. As you continued your diatribe and the level of aggressiveness rose, I finally figured it out. You are the classic case of a restaurant bully. When you don’t get your way, you go ballistic. This wasn’t about the dish at all, it was about control. You threatened us and expected to be offered a complimentary meal.

Your behavior is most likely influenced by the American culture of corporate chains. In a chain restaurant, a manager will “comp” a dinner at the least demonstration of discontent from a guest. Chain restaurant managers do not have a personal connection with the food they serve nor much confidence in its quality. This practice is budgeted into their corporate strategy as their food cost is considerably lower than those of us who actually buy high quality primary ingredients and have a trained staff prepare our food to order.

Sadly, over 80 percent of restaurants in America today are chains. Their food is delivered on large trucks ordered by food purchasers located in some far-flung city and sourced from huge national vendors. The ubiquitous chains do not serve food indigenous to their location and they have no personal connection with the growers and producers. On the contrary, their goal is to serve the same food in every town. To insure the taste is homogenous all over America, the chain restaurants do not cook their food, it is delivered pre-prepared. As they have no control over the sourcing or preparation of the food, when a diner complains, they offer a complimentary meal. They don’t truly care about the guest response, rather they are intent upon quashing any dialogue about their food which they know is inherently mediocre.

The difference at Chez Boet is we care. We source our ingredients from a group of small vendors who take pride in supplying us with the highest quality primary ingredients. If there is a lapse in quality, we want to know about it and so do our purveyors.

I did not “grill” your wife as you stated. I politely asked for specific feedback, because “horrible” and “I don’t like it” are not constructive responses. Rest assured, we want to know if there is anything amiss regarding the quality of the meat, cooking method, or sauce preparation. If there is a problem, it must be identified in order to remedy it. We serve an average of 40 roasted duck dinners per week (your suggestion that the duck was prepared two weeks prior is ludicrous, we roast them daily) and it is rare that we have an issue with this dish. In the rare instance quality is not to our standards or if a diner doesn’t like a dish because it is not what they expected, we want to know as quickly as possible so that we can offer them an opportunity to choose something else and switch out their dinner. At the end of the day, we truly want to know if there is a problem and we welcome the opportunity to correct it. At Chez Boet, our whole team strives to make the guest experience enjoyable so that our guests leave happy with their total experience.

I digress. Back to our exchange. Instead of giving me a concrete answer, you responded, “We are from New York,” as if that were a badge confirming you a certified food critic. Please know, we warmly welcome people from all parts of North America and from around the world and genuinely enjoy meeting and serving diners who appreciate our high-quality, artisanally prepared food, generous cocktails, and small estate wines.

You dismissed me with this lovely remark, “It would take me 40 minutes to describe everything wrong with your restaurant.”

Honestly, there is no appropriate response to such an offensive remark. I instructed your server to present you with your check as there was nothing left to say. I refused to give in to your bullying. Like all bullies who don’t get their way, your attempt to get “even” is to post vulgar and aggressive comments on TA. My advice to you: stick with the chain restaurants. You’ll be much happier eating there.

Just as an aside, my husband and I proudly own and operate Chez Boet. We are both French citizens, he is French born and I am American born. We moved to Naples from Paris, France 20 years ago and opened our restaurant in 2003. Over the years, we have had the pleasure of sharing our passion for French culture and cuisine with thousands of warm and appreciative guests. These guests make up 99 percent of our diners and completely overshadow the tiny minority of disgruntled discontents who choose to be unhappy. Isn’t it interesting how these “one-percenters” gravitate toward online review sites where they can spew their vitriol?!

This entire exchange is more than "Much Ado About Duck." Rather, it inspires a discussion about America’s food culture. Fortunately for us all, there are many authentic diners and Naples has a thriving group of independent, locally-owned restaurants who work diligently to elevate our local cuisine. In 2007, I personally founded Naples Originals, a marketing association supporting Naples’s local restaurants. Remember to choose a locally-owned restaurant next time you dine out. You’ll support the local economy and enjoy a unique dining experience.
Chicago, Illinois
“Horrible Evening”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2014

Arriving ten minutes early for our reservation at 7 p.m. We should of used our first instincts and LEFT. It was packed no where to stand, at entrance or bar, let alone sit. We were asked several times who we were and told it would be 5 - 10 minutes. Not a good start to a Valentine's celebration. We waited and waited finally finding a seat by the bar..ordered drinks ..never got them. At 8 p.m. after tracking staff down again and again WE GOT A TABLE 70 MIN. after arriving. Getting bread and water was another issue.With all the places to eat in Naples we wasted our special evening. I will definitely tell all the club members that there has to be a better french restaurant in Naples or Fort Myers. Also paid WAY too much for a bad experience.

• Visited February 2014