“Not what I expected” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41

Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41
1803 Tamiami Trail North, (also known as Ninth Street North), Naples, FL 34102 (Old Naples)
239.331.8944
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #559 of 793 restaurants in Naples
Cuisines: Bakery, Dessert
Neighborhood: Old Naples
Description: Welcome to Grace and Shelly’s Cupcakes! Our goal is to serve the freshest products using the finest quality ingredients in an atmosphere that invites you to sit and chat with friends and loved ones. Featuring over 30 scrumptious flavors in four different sizes, including the always-popular big-as-your-head giant cupcake, we have a flavor for every taste and a size for every occasion. Cupcakes are not a passing trend, and while we’re sometimes nostalgic for our favorite flavors from years past, our tastes have grown along with us, and we pay homage in our recipes to both our memories and what we want now. Whether you are 8 or 80, we are sure you will love our cupcakes and the time you pass in our charming shop. We promise that we will give you exactly what you're looking for: a fresh take on the classic favorites! Cupcakes are our passion, and we want them to be yours, too!
Cape Coral, Florida
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had heard nothing but praises for Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes and I was so beyond excited to finally be able to go and try their cupcakes for myself! I visited the recently opened shop in Coconut Point and when I walked into the store, the atmosphere and design of the room was great. I took a very long time to decide which cupcake I wanted, and ultimately it was a tie between Chocolate Snowball or Brown Sugar Caramel. The woman behind the counter told me that the Brown Sugar Caramel was her favorite, so I decided to go with that. My friends and I took our orders to go and when I bit into my cupcake, I was immediately BEYOND disappointed. The "buttercream" frosting tasted like someone had put pure butter into the icing bag. The cupcake itself was even gross and both tasted and smelled like corn bread. I was not pleased at all with the quality of this product, and didn't even finish eating the cupcake. It makes me not want to go again. Don't be fooled by the tastey appearance of the cupcakes.

• Visited June 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
, Public Relations Manager at Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dorina, we would like to pass along a message from Shelly Stayer of Grace and Shelly's...

...

We're so glad you stopped in at the Coconut Point Grace and Shelly's. I do understand your written statements about the butter cream frosting. Last week, I traveled all around NYC and tasted other people's cupcakes. I, too, just can't make the switch over to butter cream. My fav cupcake is the black and white, and, of course, I usually have 2 at a clip. Butter cream frosting is a very unique thing, being nothing but whipped ingredients, with the most prevailing one being butter. It totally is not for everyone. Those who love it, totally love it, they can't switch gears over to the powder sugar frosting that our mothers and grandmothers made years ago. And on the flipside, people used to the powder sugar-based frosting don't like the butter cream! Please give us another try, and maybe consider asking what the topping is first. There are really just 2 choices at all of our stores: either butter cream and its variations, or vanilla and its variations. I do so hope you stop in again at any of our 5 locations!

44% Recommend
Naples, Florida
“LIKE!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

I enjoy grace and shelly's cupcakes very much. i like the different varieties they have. They are always gobbled up quickly at my office.

Visited April 2012
Fort Myers, Florida
“DRIED OUT”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

I have never tasted older, more dried out cupcakes in my life. The frosting was so grainy with sugar like it wasn't propery mixed. VERY DISAPPOINTED!

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
DinelocalSTARR, Public Relations Manager at Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
A message from management for you...

...

Wow! We went through so many cupcakes this last weekend, I'm amazed at how this could have happened to you. All weekend, because of Mother's Day, we bakedfrostedbakedfrosted, and the cupcakes just FLEW out of the door. I can't imagine any getting dry, or even having TIME to get dry! I'm so sorry about your experience! Believe me, we take all comments, good and bad, to heart.

I noticed you are from Ft. Myers. Please stop in at our Bell Tower store and see us, it's in your neck of the woods. I always encourage people to try the regular sized cupcake if they weren't thrilled by a mini. The minis are great for "mixing it up" and eating several different types at one time. But if you have a favorite flavor, switch to a regular size, as I think they are more "traditionally" moist overall. Just my personal opinion, though we do also have people that completely swear by the minis, so who knows!

I truly do hope we'll see you again.
Fort Myers
“Wouldn't spend another dollar there!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

My first visit I tried a mini red velvet. It seemed stale and flavorless. This was a few months ago. Today, an employee treated us with 6 cupcakes from the Bell Tower shop. We all tried each cupcake. To my surprise, and my co-workers, we were all very upset at the quality and taste of the cupcakes. They were dry, and again tasted stale. The icing or buttercream was horrible. Some seemed like straight butter. I don't know how anyone, let alone the owner's, think this is acceptable for anyone. For the price you'd think they would be spectacular. Grace and Shelly, you may want to taste the product that goes out of your multiple stores.

Visited May 2012
DinelocalSTARR, Public Relations Manager at Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41, responded to this review, May 12, 2012
Hello, there. One of the owners asked me to pass this message along to you:

...

I hate to hear that you had a not-so-good experience at our store. Every day at 5:30am, each of our stores is busy baking and frosting. There are, however, people who absolutely do not like butter cream frosting, and prefer the old fashioned powdered sugar frosting like our moms use to make. Grace and I do test our cupcakes personally, we both eat MANY cupcakes a day from each of the locations. Mini cupcakes can be difficult. If/when we get a review like this, I can tell you it most likely is traced to a mini. They are very "trendy" right now, and it's a way to taste many flavors at once. I usually prefer the regular size, and also, you can't fill minis with any yummy fillings.

I hope you come back and try a different sized cupcake, as this little mini option may not be what you are hoping for.

All the best,
Naples, FL
“So-so”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

I don't like giving bad reviews to local business but I don't really get how this place keeps opening new locations. The cupcakes are just "so-so" and I guess the redeeming quality is that they're pretty? The cupcake is dry and the frosting has too much butter/lard. The recipes need revisiting.

• Visited December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
DinelocalSTARR, Public Relations Manager at Grace & Shelly's Cupcakes - US 41, responded to this review, May 3, 2012
Dear Rachael,

I'm glad you think our cupcakes "are pretty." We take great pride in the appearance and taste of our cupcakes. Every day at 5:30am we start baking some of the different 35 flavor profiles that we offer. I'm not sure which cupcakes you tried, but we don't use lard. I'm thinking, really, nobody does in this day and age. As for our new locations, we keep opening stores where the customer's demands are so high. We are glad that we have a following like that, where every day, hundreds of cupcakes leave the store, making the turnover quite high in our industry.

At any rate, thanks for your feedback. We're always striving to do the best that we can in a very competitive industry, so belive me when I say we take what customers like you have to say very seriously! I'm sorry you weren't totally satisfied with your experience, but I hope you'll still give us another try soon!

All the best,