“Hotel and Marina have a strange relationship” 2 of 5 stars

Port of the Islands Hotel
12323 Union Road, Naples, FL 34114 (Formerly Knights Inn Naples)   |
Ranked #6 of 10 Naples B&B and Inns
Racine, Wisconsin
“Hotel and Marina have a strange relationship”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2012

We stopped at the Port of the Islands Marina for a couple of nights and ran into a strange business environment. The marina is a separate entity from the hotel and it would appear there are political issues that keep the two units from working together.

We could get a slip in the marina but there was no access to showers as the hotel controlled the only showers folks at the marina could access. They had a policy that you had to sign up for a months "membership" to access the showers. The folks at the marina felt bad and indeed went out of their way to help us. There was even a boater that offered us access to the shower on her boat - Great Folks.

We solved our shower problem by cruising into the mangroves and using our "Sun Shower".

With the state of the economy you would think that the hotel and marina would work together to maximize business to the benefit of each unit.

Thus, unless you want to work around the strange relationship at this resort area you may want to pass on this place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Saint James City, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

Arriving in the wee hours of the night only after searching for several hours to find an available room within 150 miles of civilization. Traveling down a long winding road into the dark Florida everglades we arrived at a hotel half lit. Stepping up to check in with the toothless wonder at the front desk wearing a worn out fubu shirt from the early 80's I realized that the place I had read on line was not the same as described. I took a tour of 4 rooms and decided to stay in one of their best options for the night. I entered into the room next door because the door didn't work on the room they were suggesting but the room I had to walk through had no air conditioning. My wife and I stayed a period of 5 hours from 2am-7am sleeping with one eye open. Of course that was after her begging me to just sleep in the car. Also, please be aware that there is a nonrefundable deposit. I don't suggest this place to anyone.
Lastly, I was informed by the front desk the next morning that the hotel had been closed for the last 10 years due to a drug bust from the government. It turns out that the cartel had functioned their operations there for many years. If you plan on staying here...you do at your own risk but is not recommended.

Signed,
Very unhappy customer (with nightmares)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2010

It is a beautiful old building, but 35 miles out of Naples in the Everglades, In the middle of nowhere.
Close by a new hotel is build as a copy to this one, which has everything the description at the site gives (breakfast, hot water, internet etc). This hotel has no facilities, and uses the description of the new hotel!!! (they have almost the same name)

This place does not deserve the name hotel. The first room the pluming did not work, the second the key was broken, the third had no light, the forth looked good, but by turning down the bedcover, ants were crawling out of a hole in the cover!!!! Roaches and other animals were running through the lobby.

The pool is not in use for years, was offered on the site.

We had a hard time finding the hotel at night because it was not in Naples but about 35 miles outside of the city. We arrived late at night. It was dark, there is nothing in the area, so we had to stay. (Although my child was crying with fear!) Oké, the woman in charges was very nice and help us go from room to room. In the last one we stay the night, a shower next morning was just available for someone who likes to shower cold!!!

Anyway, I think this is not a place to offer on a site. It is a scary, extremely dirty, falsifying the hotel description on sites.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Orlando, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

When I first booked this room, I could not find any reviews on the Knights Inn Naples. Turns out, this place is in reality the infamous Port of the Islands Hotel. I had read several reviews on this hotel and knew exactly where I was as soon as I walked through the door.
When I first stepped into the hotel lobby, my first impression was: Welcome to the Hotel California. The lobby was deserted. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure this place was a beautiful property at some point but today it has more of a haunted feel to it.

We checked into our room, I noticed we had an adjoining door to the next room with a chair sitting in front of it. So naturally, I tried to open the adjoining door; just to realize that our side of the door does not lock because the interior part of the door knob is missing. That explains the chair in front of the door. Next, I noticed that the deadbolt to the entrance door is missing. The only lock to the front door is our key card which anyone has access to. Left the room and asked to check into another room. Checked into a different room in the second floor. This room was a little better, but still no deadbolt on the front door. Certainly did not feel safe and decided to check out altogether. Drove South on 29 and found a nicer place to stay in Everglades City.

This property has the potential to be beautiful, but it seriously needs a remodel. Everything looks very old and the rooms smell musty. This hotel feels like it is stuck in time. My recommendation is to only visit the Knights Inn Naples if you are interested in a haunted attraction!

• Liked — It was in the middle of the Everglades
  • Disliked — It was too scary. Room did not have basic security features.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family

Been to Port of the Islands Hotel? Share your experiences!