“Expecting much more” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 14 Restaurants in Dinas Powys
Cuisines: English
“Expecting much more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

After seeing that it had won an award in the local paper we thought we would go there and see what was happening.
Our food was average pub food - certainly not award winning! the chilli was watery and lacking in flavour.
I think that the play barn is the only reason that it is popular.

Visited February 2014

Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Ideal for families”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Deep in the Vale of Glamorgan this is a place you will want to return to.The owners have also built a good reputation for the mobile catering arm of the business called the Fourth Horseshoe caterers. Not the cheapest pub/restaurant but you get what you pay for, good food and good beer. They sell their own label beers as well as a good selection of beers and wines and the food is cooked to order with the sweets particularly appealing, you can also buy some lovely home cooked bread to take with you. For the young kids there is a fantastic indoor play area and for dry days an outside play area

Visited August 2013
Skewen, Neath, South Wales
“Good place for a young family.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I came to know about this place after seeing it on the internet and after visiting I thought the place was good for a young family, but a bit tatty in places.

The positives about the place were the indoor play barn and the outside play areas; my children (3 and 6 years old) loved the place, and can't wait to go back. As the weather was sunny and dry, the children really enjoyed playing outside and there were plenty of wooden picnic tables scattered around for the parents to have food and drink whilst keeping a close eye on the children.

The negatives we found were that the area for eating, by the indoor play barn was small (around 5 tables) and if busy I can imagine this would fill up quickly. The chairs we ended up using to eat from were old, tatty sofas that were very uncomfortable to eat from.

However, the most important thing for us is that our children enjoy themselves and they did: if our children are happy, then we are happy.

I would suggest you visit this website address: http://www.3horseshoespub.com/ for pics and more info.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vale of Glamorgan
“Don't bother!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Visited this place on the recommendation of a friend. Took my partner and the three children we have between us. The big draw for us was the play barn. Well all i can say is what a bitter and very expensive disappointment. When we walked through the door we were hit by the overwhelming stench of dog. I have owned dogs all my life so im not particully sensitive to the smell but this was definatley stomach turning. When we eventually found our way into the play barn, which we had to locate ourselves after being ignored by the bar staff in the main pub area (they weren't busy as we were the only people there). We were greeted by what looked to be a reasonable play frame but no more than four or five places for groups of people to sit. If the children had not seen the play frame we would have walked straight out again because of the smell but we reluctantly agreed to stay. The seating in the barn was old and broken & it was clearly an after thought when the barn was built. We ended up sitting upstairs because all the tables were full. A bit of advice, never go up there!!!! Its dark, dusty and the furniture was even worse. We managed to finally get chairs downstairs but our table was blocking a fire exit & my chair was on a significant slope. The place was very dirty with bits of old food on the floor and the dust was thick on most surfaces. You could tell that the boy who was serving behind the counter was not happy in his job. Having never visited there before, we were unsure of how the place worked, if we could eat in the barn etc, every question we asked was met with rolling eyes and short and snappy answers. We ordered our food, the kids had the eat & play deal which seemed reasonable, then we discovered they were charging £1.30 for a panda pop, bloody Scandalus!!!! I had the steak pie which was the worse thing i have ever eaten! It was burnt, stale and disgusting, im not even going to re-live the peas. When the unhappy young man came to clear our table i told him that it was the worst meal that i had ever had but he really didn't care. My partner had the prawns cocktail to start which in all fairness was ok but his main was another horror show with free hairs on the side. The kids meals were tiny & what seemed like a bargain, was actually false economy because they were all hungry soon after, lets just say we didn't stay for desserts! The meal, drinks and play came to over £40, for what we had, that price was ridiculous. Every time one of the kids needed the toilet we had to endure the foul odor of dog so we tried to keep visits to a minimum. I can honestly say that this place was horrid from start to finish and i could not recommend it to anyone. With a bit of investment, a good clean, new furniture and some form of odor control, im sure that this could be a nice family pub but currently, its the worst!!!! On a positive note, the kids thought that the play frame was ok & the bits of the outdoor play area which weren't either broken or blocked by safey tape were quite good.

• Visited July 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Wales
“This used to be a lovely pub, but has gone downhill in the last few years.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

We've visited the Three Horseshoes many times over the last 20 years, but we've been disappointed in its constant decline.

Our last visit was the last straw, and we won't be visiting again.

I ordered food, and due to the fact we were sitting in the pods outside, I was asked to pay before the meal. As I mentioned above, we are regular visitors here, and this just feels like they don't trust us.

The meal we had, chicken vindaloo, beef dupiaza, gammon and chicken nuggets was very average, and made worse when a party of kids with 4 adults sat around us, disturbing our quite family night out.

The waitress serving us dropped some chips while placing our meals, but didn't offer to replace them. We were never asked during or after the meal, if we were enjoying the meal. My wife was very unimpressed with the beef dupiaza.

The general atmosphere of the place was dreadful,with my 13 year old daughter (and indeed, my wife) asking when can we leave!

I certainly won't be visiting here again, at least for a few years, to see it it improves.

• Visited August 2013